CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Mar 8, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #2,041 of 26,005
So...are there available already some NAS that can run ROON server by themself WITHOUT any PC involved ?

Yes, you can run Roon on a NAS now provided your NAS has sufficient horsepower and RAM.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/how-to-roonserver-on-qnap-nas/6996

Mar 8, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #2,042 of 26,005
Still living with the loan Dave until mine is delivered in a few days time and still learning how to get the best out of it. Next question, should I leave it turned on all the time or only turn on when I need to use it. The Dave I have at the moment has about 150 hours run-in and I think sounds warmer and fuller after it's been turned on for several hours. Thanks

Mar 8, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #2,043 of 26,005
Still living with the loan Dave until mine is delivered in a few days time and still learning how to get the best out of it. Next question, should I leave it turned on all the time or only turn on when I need to use it. The Dave I have at the moment has about 150 hours run-in and I think sounds warmer and fuller after it's been turned on for several hours. Thanks
I keep mine on stand by, using the remote to turn the Dave off and on.
Congratulations to the new Dave owners, your music listening will never be the same.

Mar 8, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #2,044 of 26,005

I think just about all audio gear sounds best when they've been on for a while and warmed up but leaving electronic gear on 24/7 will shorten their lifespan.  The DAVE comes with a 5-year warranty which is reassuring.

Here is a question I posed to Rob some time ago:

Is there a problem leaving the DAVE on 24/7 or is it best to put it into standby mode or turn it off completely at the end of each day?

I leave both my Daves on all the time - but I am just lazy...

Mar 8, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #2,045 of 26,005

Does your retailer offer you a loan DAVE until the product has been delivered? That does sound very generous! English people must indeed be very polite :)

Mar 8, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #2,046 of 26,005
Does your retailer offer you a loan DAVE until the product has been delivered? That does sound very generous! English people must indeed be very polite :)

Yes, I was lucky to come across this dealer. They're some way out of town but the only one I could find within a reasonable travel from London who had kept a demo model; all the others had sold every Dave as soon as it came in. And what's more, I got a very generous part exchange on my Hugo and Mojo.

Mar 8, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #2,047 of 26,005
Yes, I was lucky to come across this dealer. They're some way out of town but the only one I could find within a reasonable travel from London who had kept a demo model; all the others had sold every Dave as soon as it came in. And what's more, I got a very generous part exchange on my Hugo and Mojo.

What was your wait time to get yours?  Here in the U.S., there's still a line to get one and so dealers are quoting at least a month.

Mar 8, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #2,048 of 26,005

You must be talking about Fanthorpes then :wink:

It's really rare to find that in Switzerland too. As far as I know there is one shop with a demo DAVE in the whole country. Maybe I'll make that journey once :)

Mar 8, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #2,052 of 26,005
Yes, I should clarify... ROON is working with Qnap to make a ROON app for Qnap devices, but it is not yet known just how much of a NAS you will have to have at this point. Unless I missed something?

Mar 8, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #2,053 of 26,005
I have a pile of LP's that I bought last year, still in their plastic wrappers, I haven't played them, that's how good the Dave is, I plan to open them up this weekend and compare the analogue records to digital Dave . I really like the sound of records and cant wait to compare to the Dave.

Mar 9, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #2,054 of 26,005
Since DAVE is so imune to the source quality, I will be able to keept my Auralic ARIES ... Now that it's software is FINALY stable and that it can act as a ROON endpoint.

So my question: in order to use ROON with the ARIES, I will need to run ROON server on some kind of PC that stay on my netork ? Right ? But... I do not want to ad a PC to my audio system !

So...are there available already some NAS that can run ROON server by themself WITHOUT any PC involved ?

This will be Great. Indeed I want to avoid leaving a PC on all the time and this will give me a good reason to finaly use a NAS instead if a USB HD ( USB Hd Is not stable with the ARIES when the library excess 1 Tb).

Thanks in advance
Have a look at the bluesound vault 2 this could be just what you're looking for:grinning:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back