CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
May 27, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #20,266 of 25,850
I just find it best to try to tune as much as possible out and just get to know the gear early without too much analysis or comparison.. and even taking a temporary step back from this place helps as well. But that's just me,
Nope, that's not only you :)
There is a lot of nonsense in our hobby, stepping back can be very helpful.

May 27, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #20,267 of 25,850
I still like the Dave because it has a solid state leanness that is sometimes conducive to the music. Also I can turn it on and off for playing a single CD. I only turn on my Lampi in the evening when I’m listening for several hours. It takes a while for the beast to warm up its act, particularly in my case as I’m using a JJ 300B SET integrated amplifier with my Quads.
Fyi, leanness/lack of body/lack of weight of musical notes is not a feature or characteristic of solid state - it's a design flaw and is typically associated with low-end equipment.

May 27, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #20,268 of 25,850
Past few pages have reminded me why I really take it easy at least for the first week with new gear. I don't really compare against other gear much at all. Just too many mental loopholes.. familiarity with current setup, post purchase justification bias, etc... even the influence of others here. Case in point, a few people mentioned that the OP would start to see flaws, OP reads that and very next day, "I'm starting to see flaws" lol. There's just so much at play mentally with this stuff.. (also this is to no offense to anyone at all, I'm saying this light heartedly and I'm impacted all by the same bias and input).

I just find it best to try to tune as much as possible out and just get to know the gear early without too much analysis or comparison.. and even taking a temporary step back from this place helps as well. But that's just me, I do also get that the immediate analysis and comparison is also a part of the fun, I totally get that as well. And obviously, if you only have something on loan for a week you really just have no choice lol

Also, separate from all of the above. The Lampi looks and seems (based off impressions) amazing, I'm certainly interested in checking on out once I have the right room setup for a higher end 2 channel system..
I hear you. Thanks for the advice. I will say that hearing the flaws had more to do with expanding the music selection on day 2 rather than comments here. But who knows. As you said, there are lots of variables. I am trying to just step back sometimes as well and take this slow. I have a couple weeks to decide. Ill listen today and then put the Dave rig back in tomorrow and see What that feels like/reveals.I think I figured out a simpler way to rig the whole Dave setup back in (4 boxes w DC4s). And I am having fun, btw. Tons of fun! Love this learning experience.

May 27, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #20,269 of 25,850
I hear you. Thanks for the advice. I will say that hearing the flaws had more to do with expanding the music selection on day 2 rather than comments here. But who knows. As you said, there are lots of variables. I am trying to just step back sometimes as well and take this slow. I have a couple weeks to decide. Ill listen today and then put the Dave rig back in tomorrow and see What that feels like/reveals.I think I figured out a simpler way to rig the whole Dave setup back in (4 boxes w DC4s). And I am having fun, btw. Tons of fun! Love this learning experience.
Just trying out a pair of PX 25 tubes with my Lampizator. Sounds quite beautiful. I can see why it’s a very popular choice. Definitely up there with the 242s. BTW, tube rolling on the Lampi gets very expensive very quickly. One huge advantage of the Dave: no tubes to roll! LOL.

But the Lampi has this billowing enveloping sound that wraps you up, which can be quite intoxicating (particularly when you include a 300B SET amp into the chain). My mind tells me this is tube coloration that I’m addicted to, my heart says who cares? 😄

Attachments

• 8F67593E-ED2F-4CEA-A191-CAEB54D7D742.jpeg
    8F67593E-ED2F-4CEA-A191-CAEB54D7D742.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
May 28, 2022 at 4:16 AM Post #20,270 of 25,850
Dave was launched in May 2015 and 7 years is a very long time indeed in terms of developments in digital technology. Dave has been surpassed nowadays, but the fact that people still think so highly of it is testament to what a ground breaking achievement it was at the time. And it’s performance per price point was staggering back then. I was an early adopter and, whilst I no longer have one, I have only fond memories - well apart from the clunky ferrite bound dual umbilical connections!

It will be very interesting to see what Rob does next when he feels ready to leapfrog his own design. No doubt the hoopla will start all over again but hopefully with less argument about the best way to connect. 😉

Last edited:
May 28, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #20,271 of 25,850
Dave was launched in May 2015 and 7 years is a very long time indeed in terms of developments in digital technology. Dave has been surpassed nowadays, but the fact that people still think so highly of it is testament to what a ground breaking achievement it was at the time. And it’s performance per price point was staggering back then. I was an early adopter and, whilst I no longer have one, I have only fond memories - well apart from the clunky ferrite bound dual umbilical connections!

It will be very interesting to see what Rob does next when he feels ready to leapfrog his own design. No doubt the hoopla will start all over again but hopefully with less argument about the best way to connect. 😉
I’m not sure the DAVE has been leapfrogged. The DAVE is still at the top of the chain when it comes to prepresenting music in an unabated way. There are more DAC options today than when the DAVE was released. Some of them do portray music differently from the DAVE, but that‘s a matter of preference. Listening to and demoing some of these new amps I still prefer the DAVE :smile_phones:. It’s the best DAC I have owned. I can’t honestly say that there is better, but I can say that there is different out there :smile_phones:

May 28, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #20,272 of 25,850
Finally after few weeks of checking and compering optical vs USB (with Phoenix), I am comming to conclusion that to my ears USB is better, so I will stay with it, it was a bit costly experience as I have now some good optical cables which will probably go, but it is time to move on and start thinking about power supply for Dave. All this on mscaler/Dave, with mscaler on battery.
Summarizing differences, with USB I got better bas definition and it is hitting a bit harder, generally sound stage is a bit bigger and has better separation, high tones have better resolution, overall improvements in all areas, but not very big, more apparent when listened to full albums then on short samples.

May 28, 2022 at 6:51 AM Post #20,273 of 25,850
Finally after few weeks of checking and compering optical vs USB (with Phoenix), I am comming to conclusion that to my ears USB is better, so I will stay with it, it was a bit costly experience as I have now some good optical cables which will probably go, but it is time to move on and start thinking about power supply for Dave. All this on mscaler/Dave, with mscaler on battery.
Summarizing differences, with USB I got better bas definition and it is hitting a bit harder, generally sound stage is a bit bigger and has better separation, high tones have better resolution, overall improvements in all areas, but not very big, more apparent when listened to full albums then on short samples.
You should still try it with a ddc after the pheonix. Like a src dx or topping d10s.

May 28, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #20,280 of 25,850
but it is time to move on and start thinking about power supply for Dave. All this on mscaler/Dave, with mscaler on battery.

I can recommend the Farad solution i just heard it 2 days ago in my home.

But if you rather keep on batteries like your HMS.. i made a schematic for a linear solution losing the internal SMPS.

I still must order the parts and start testing..
1st on dummy loads ofc.

Screenshot_20220528-014124_ES File Explorer.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back