CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jan 23, 2022 at 2:51 AM Post #18,916 of 25,904
Looking at the first rate setup in your signature, I might consider keeping the Utopia and adding an Innuos Phoenix USB? I found it made a solid step up in soundstage and presentation.
I just got the Audiowise SRC-DX, have been throughly impressed. It was about 25% of the cost of the Phoenix too!
As for the headphones, while I like the Utopias a lot, I have never had another pair of headphones and want something with a more expansive soundstage.

It is rather entertaining that my open-back Obravo Ra 21 C-Cu have a wider and taller soundstage versus the Utopias.

Jan 23, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #18,917 of 25,904
I am, however, looking for a good usb- to usb-b cable that won't break the bank.

Any recommendations?

Jan 23, 2022 at 6:03 AM Post #18,919 of 25,904
Supra cable is popular and well priced,
Same with the Oyaide D+ range,
After that it’s up to your ears / wallet … 😬
Made an offer for a Supra Excalibur last night. Hopefully it gets accepted.

My pain threshold for USB cables is quite low :D

Jan 23, 2022 at 6:40 AM Post #18,920 of 25,904
I just got the Audiowise SRC-DX, have been throughly impressed. It was about 25% of the cost of the Phoenix too!
As for the headphones, while I like the Utopias a lot, I have never had another pair of headphones and want something with a more expansive soundstage.

It is rather entertaining that my open-back Obravo Ra 21 C-Cu have a wider and taller soundstage versus the Utopias.
If you want a wider and taller soundstage then I suggest the Sennhieser HD800S. Try one if you can.

Jan 23, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #18,922 of 25,904

To be frank, basically everything is bigger than focal except the abyss Diana line. Some real exceptionally large stages are the Solitaire P and HD800S. I haven't tried either right out of the way though so I can't comment on how well that works

Jan 23, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #18,923 of 25,904
To be frank, basically everything is bigger than focal except the abyss Diana line. Some real exceptionally large stages are the Solitaire P and HD800S. I haven't tried either right out of the way though so I can't comment on how well that works
Dunno about that, the Diana Phi I tried had an exponentially more spacious presentation from the get go.

Jan 23, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #18,924 of 25,904
As for the USB A-B cable question, thanks for the inputs.

Found an open box Supra Excalibur with 20% off so decided to give it a go.

Jan 23, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #18,925 of 25,904
Dunno about that, the Diana Phi I tried had an exponentially more spacious presentation from the get go.
O haven't had phi but I own DTC and owned V2 in the past. They are much deeper and like classically holographic, but the only time I've gotten their stage bigger than utopia is when spacing them off my head such that the pads only touch like 1/5th the way around and only quite lightly

Jan 23, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #18,926 of 25,904
O haven't had phi but I own DTC and owned V2 in the past. They are much deeper and like classically holographic, but the only time I've gotten their stage bigger than utopia is when spacing them off my head such that the pads only touch like 1/5th the way around and only quite lightly
Ah, you have the new Diana. I was having a look around for some more information about it earlier.

I was surprised how well the Diana Phi was driven by DAVE.

Jan 23, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #18,927 of 25,904
Ah, you have the new Diana. I was having a look around for some more information about it earlier.

I was surprised how well the Diana Phi was driven by DAVE.

I think one of the best things about the diana range in general is how gracefully its responds to lower current sources tbh. You throw them on something like 5WPC @ 50ohm and the difference is quite clear but other than getting a bit bass light and the stage depth shrinking some they dont do anything egregious on lower power sources (unlike say arya which gets thin and brittle and nasty if you try and throw it on an old 165mW dynamic amp)

Jan 23, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #18,928 of 25,904
I have been contemplating the Innuos Phoenix USB as well but at the recommendation of the PGGB folks, I've ordered the cheaper SRC-DX USB to DX Bridge from Audiowise in Canada.
I'm not sure why the Phoenix and SRC-DX are being compared to one another, as they do different things. Is the thought that they both provide an increase in SQ, but one is a lot cheaper?

In my experience they both add different qualities to the sound. The SRC-DX allows you to bypass USB, and access Dave's BNC input providing an analog smoothness and density. The Phoenix, as a USB regenerator + clock, is a much more expensive and complicated unit, but it also offers more. You not only gain a more organic tone but also imaging precision and staging space.

Another thing to consider is that the SRC-DX really scales with better BNC cables, which are going to multiply the price if you're going dual BNC to upsample with PGGB.

If you can chain together: PGGB > Phoenix > SRC-DX > dual BNC the result is very satisfying. This has the further benefit of powering the SRC-DX with the Sean Jacobs linear power supply in the Phoenix.

Jan 23, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #18,929 of 25,904
I'm not sure why the Phoenix and SRC-DX are being compared to one another, as they do different things. Is the thought that they both provide an increase in SQ, but one is a lot cheaper?

In my experience they both add different qualities to the sound. The SRC-DX allows you to bypass USB, and access Dave's BNC input providing an analog smoothness and density. The Phoenix, as a USB regenerator + clock, is a much more expensive and complicated unit, but it also offers more. You not only gain a more organic tone but also imaging precision and staging space.

Another thing to consider is that the SRC-DX really scales with better BNC cables, which are going to multiply the price if you're going dual BNC to upsample with PGGB.

If you can chain together: PGGB > Phoenix > SRC-DX > dual BNC the result is very satisfying. This has the further benefit of powering the SRC-DX with the Sean Jacobs linear power supply in the Phoenix.
If you add tosliink in your equasion as i use with my aurender. Bnc and toslink are the same signal/protocol only toslink has a optical converter in between. As aurender says tos and bnc is the best from there machine. Would the bnc dx path gain me some more analogue experience maybe nick did this comparison. Basicly src-dx and wave cable to my scaler instead of toslink. Guess i can compare them 1:1 if i arrange a set.. just thinking as i am typing. Hope somebody did this already

Jan 23, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #18,930 of 25,904
So, I went back to the DC4'd mDAVE for my TCs. I can't believe I'm saying this, but the bass impact on the DC4'd mDAVE is actually greater than the WA33 EE JPS. It's almost too much impact (can't believe I'm saying this). The bass bloom is better on the WA33 EE JPS (which I guess makes sense).

I compared the Susvara bass out of the DC4'd mDAVE and WA33 EE JPS, and they are close, but the WA33 EE JPS has more impact and extension.

I still don't know why the DC4 does this to my DAVE. It's really confusing (but a pleasant surprise). Anybody have any thoughts on why this is happening?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back