CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jul 27, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #17,687 of 25,919
I bought a May L2 a couple of weeks ago and have just sold it. It is not in the same league as a Dave / Mscaler but at the discounted price I paid (less than the cost of the Mscaler alone) it is good value.
Good to know. Thought that would be the case, thanks for confirming.

Also, I know posts like this might not be the most helpful, but being new to the hobby I'm not very well equipped with all the audiophile terms except to say I just got delivered the Wave Storm cables, and with just a short amount of listening, it's clear that it's a must have accessory if you have an m-scaler with the Dave. :L3000:

Jul 27, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #17,689 of 25,919
Isn’t the KTE the one to compare to DAVE/Mscaler???
There isn’t that much between the L2 and KTE that would change my conclusions.

Jul 27, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #17,691 of 25,919
There isn’t that much between the L2 and KTE that would change my conclusions.

Did you use the L2 together with a good DDC and I2S?

Jul 27, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #17,692 of 25,919
Yes, I and a friend both have antipodes K50 streamers and we think that the bnc output from the K50 beats usb into the MScaler. We have been using Squeeze on the K50.
I find the opposite that USB out of K50 into Weiss DAC sound best, more holographic deeper bass. Im not sure if that's K50 or DAC or combo of both. I was thinking of getting the Mutec USB reclocker to see if I can get more 😁, im using Squeeze/Roon
Thanks
Sean

Jul 28, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #17,693 of 25,919
I find the opposite that USB out of K50 into Weiss DAC sound best, more holographic deeper bass. Im not sure if that's K50 or DAC or combo of both. I was thinking of getting the Mutec USB reclocker to see if I can get more 😁, im using Squeeze/Roon
Thanks
Sean
Ah, Sean, I have just been replying to you on the Antipodes thread. Now I see what DAC you have. I personally am waiting for the any day now release of 3.1 software for the K50 so that we can use the latest version of Squeezelite etc and I expect that to help things. One thing I would say is that ditching Roon will bring you a decent upgrade in sound quality even if you are using Squeeze with it. Also, a friend loaned his Mutec to me and I tried it with the K50 but it was not to my liking.

Jul 28, 2021 at 3:46 AM Post #17,694 of 25,919
Ah, Sean, I have just been replying to you on the Antipodes thread. Now I see what DAC you have. I personally am waiting for the any day now release of 3.1 software for the K50 so that we can use the latest version of Squeezelite etc and I expect that to help things. One thing I would say is that ditching Roon will bring you a decent upgrade in sound quality even if you are using Squeeze with it. Also, a friend loaned his Mutec to me and I tried it with the K50 but it was not to my liking.
Hi Triode user,
That is very interesting I have heard ditching Roon bring sonic improvements I would be very interested to try. I have a really annoying issue with the way the K50 is interacting with my cellular network it on shows streamer or server and its not stable. I am afraid to change anything as I might loose the K50 altogether. I live in a remote location and cellular network is all I can get for the moment. Maybe you could post up your findings that would be great. How would you describe the Mutec? I was hoping it would improve things and then with the reclocked USB signal go AES in to the Weiss DAC. Thanks Sean

Jul 28, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #17,695 of 25,919
I live in a remote location and cellular network is all I can get for the moment.
Just on this, frustratingly I live 1/2 mile too far away from our rural village fibre broadband and so I also have a cellular connection to broadband (EE G4 with an external aerial). This works very well and I connect the EE router to my home ethernet with a Cisco switch which also works well. As far as having the K50 accessible and connected it is no different to any other home network.

Jul 28, 2021 at 4:16 AM Post #17,696 of 25,919
Just on this, frustratingly I live 1/2 mile too far away from our rural village fibre broadband and so I also have a cellular connection to broadband (EE G4 with an external aerial). This works very well and I connect the EE router to my home ethernet with a Cisco switch which also works well. As far as having the K50 accessible and connected it is no different to any other home network.
Its a very weird one I'm on Vodaphone and for whatever reason the K50 is not stable either shows streamer only or server only or neither. I still plays music but not as still very frustrating. I am afraid to do tweets or changes incase I loose it all-together. I think it's to do with the single IP address for two devices streamer/server.

Jul 28, 2021 at 4:20 AM Post #17,697 of 25,919
Its a very weird one I'm on Vodaphone and for whatever reason the K50 is not stable either shows streamer only or server only or neither. I still plays music but not as still very frustrating. I am afraid to do tweets or changes incase I loose it all-together. I think it's to do with the single IP address for two devices streamer/server.

Happy to discuss the cellular network thing by messaging or we can continue the K50 discussion in the Antipodes thread but the Dave boys might get a bit bored with this discussion here . . . I’ll continue it on the Antipodes thread.

Jul 28, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #17,699 of 25,919
@Rob Watts

Have you recently changed any of the components within the Daves you are currently shipping? Perhaps Chord changed to a different type of BNC input connectors?

Here’s my issue....

I sold my Dave and BluMK2 a while back and bought a TT2 and HMS. A few months later I was missing Dave’s amazing transparency so bought another Dave and HMS for a different room. I’ll quickly summarize what was actually countless hours of trouble shooting. BNC input 1 and 2 are horrible. The music cuts in and out and there is a constant crackling noise that sounds more like direct contact electrical interference. With Input 3 and 4 it’s much better, but there is a popping / clicking noise in the right channel that can occur every few seconds, every 30 seconds, and it’s even disappeared for a few mins at times. It’s completely silent when the music is paused. When you start the music the noise begins in the right channel. Pause the music again and the pops and clicks continue for a couple seconds. It almost sounds like there’s a short or a charge is being released. My dealer was kind enough to send me his personal Dave which is fairly old (with the curved glass over the screen vs the flat glass on the new models). Dropping his Dave in place the problem went away. Dropping my TT2 in place the problem went away. I received another new Dave but the exact same problem was there again. Horrible on 1 and 2, better but still not acceptable with 3 and 4. I’ve taking every step you imagine to isolate the problem. From cutting power to unused circuits in my house, to moving the system to other rooms and testing each component in the chain. With HMS in bypass mode there are no issues. The same goes when I upsample to 176. As soon as it goes into DBNC the problem appears (just in the right channel) I’ve used the stock cables which exaggerated the issue. Pulse AG cables which helped but just a little, and I used the Wave BNC cables with the same results. I finally brought my AudioWise OPTO DX into the mix and the problem goes away. So now I have a working Dave, but I shouldn’t have to spend on OPTO DX and two UpTone LPS 1.2’s just to get HMS and Dave working. I tend to rotate my gear fairly quickly so now I am concerned about resell. It’s working for me, but as is I couldn’t sell it to someone without disclosing the issue.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with a new Dave? I suspect Chord changed something and Dave is simply more sensitive than TT2. The fact that an older Dave works and two new Daves have the same problem is quite telling. However, I really do not want to send it off to be repaired. This process has taken nearly two months and I’m tired of either going without music, or only being able to partially upsample the music. Dave on it’s own works just fine. The problem only arises when in dual BNC mode.

Thoughts will be appreciated....

(Edit - making a long post even longer - Even with the OPTO DX in place, I still hear an occasional pop/click in the right channel (and no, it’s not the HP or cable))

I'm experiencing the same exact problems with my M Scaler / Dave combo using the stock BNC cables.

BNC input 1 and 2 are basically useless on the Dave. Frequent pops, clicks, and even dropouts.

BNC input 3 and 4 are way better. No dropouts but annoying little clicks only in the right channel. These clicks sound like electrostatic charge being released. They are more frequent if the source is my computer through USB connection and less if it is my Aurender N10 via optical. Yes, the problem only arises when in dual BNC mode.

Jul 28, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #17,700 of 25,919
I'm experiencing the same exact problems with my M Scaler / Dave combo using the stock BNC cables.

BNC input 1 and 2 are basically useless on the Dave. Frequent pops, clicks, and even dropouts.

BNC input 3 and 4 are way better. No dropouts but annoying little clicks only in the right channel. These clicks sound like electrostatic charge being released. They are more frequent if the source is my computer through USB connection and less if it is my Aurender N10 via optical. Yes, the problem only arises when in dual BNC mode.
Your DAVE could be faulty. When I got my DAVE the first time, I experienced those pops and crackles when adding the m-scaler. I told my dealer and he said some DAVEs have this problem and their “firmware” needs to be updated (whatever that means). I had to ship my DAVE back to get repaired, and when it finally got shipped back to me, I no longer heard any of those pops and crackles with any of the bnc connections.

I read at the time that all of those issues were somewhat common with specific DAVEs. So, I’d suggest talking to your dealer. The DAVE and m-scaler combo should not have that static and electrical discharge sounds at all on any bnc input

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back