CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Oct 7, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #15,796 of 25,988
I was asking because I advised another Head-fi member @edwardsean to seriously consider not buying a mains cable for Dave but instead to consider a replacement Sean Jacobs power supply for the Dave. I think he is pleased that he went down the Sean Jacobs power supply route instead of the mains cable route. Now that I have tagged him he might even drop by to venture an opinion.

Power conditioning/cables is probably one of the more variable quantities here, depending on the nature of your grid.

If you'll recall, I also ended up getting a power cable that costs the same amount as the upgraded Sean Jacobs DC3. That cable, Synergistic Research Atmosphere Level 3, is a fabulous cable. As great as the Sean Jacobs is with its power filtering, the SR cable still improves it. The sound is significantly cleaner, smoother, more refined; noise floor drops, details emerge, soundstage expands. So, the power cable is a–major–enhancement of what the DC3 does. I wouldn't want to be without it.

Nevertheless, The DC3 is more essential and has a more transformative effect. If anyone is choosing between putting money into power conditioning vs. power supply, @Triode User is right, the choice is clearly in favor of the latter.

if the DAC is the mind of your sound system and the amp is beating heart, the power supply is the guts. You have to mind intake, but performance will be dictated by how well it is able to metabolize it Into energy.

Oct 7, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #15,797 of 25,988
hi all

got my DAVE into my system and am wanting to get a decent power cable for it (currently using a NAIM powerline which made a nice difference but am wanting to free that up to put on my NAP250)

been looking at the audioquest powerlines, namely thunder, tornado source or maybe hurricane source

reason for audio quest is plan on getting a Niagara 1200/3000 power filter unit and know they are meant to work best when combined

curious if any one has any experience with these cables with DAVE and or the associated Niagara unit?

appreciate peeps views/suggestions

thanks

The AQ Thunder is a very big cable - too big for a Dave (believe me I tried it). IMO, the Thunder is best for amps or from the 1200 to the wall (that's how I use the two I have)

Oct 8, 2020 at 12:39 AM Post #15,798 of 25,988
Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #15,799 of 25,988
I run my Dave and Mscaler on two separate Sean Jacobs power supplies and to me they are totally immune to mains cables or other mains filtration etc. There are a few of us doing this on here now so they may comment or keep their heads below the parapet!

which versions do you run his DC3 or the DC4 one ?

Oct 8, 2020 at 3:31 AM Post #15,800 of 25,988
I run my Dave and Mscaler on two separate Sean Jacobs power supplies and to me they are totally immune to mains cables or other mains filtration etc. There are a few of us doing this on here now so they may comment or keep their heads below the parapet!
I have been having an internal battle re a DC4 - and, so far, have held off because the cables (Shunyata - Alpha and UK6 + 'old' Sigma) I currently use seem to make such a difference that the cost of retaining them and acquiring a DC4 seems a bit bonkers (clearly, very much a personal decision in the wallet pain level stakes - I appreciate there is no right or wrong). I had wondered if I could sell what I have to, effectively, fund a DC4 (conceptually it would make sense, based on my limited understanding).

However, I am running an Opto DX (forgive me, Nick!) on a DC3 and tried taking either that or the DAVE off the UK6 (which otherwise runs the DAVE and the DC3 - nothing else) - neither experiment worked well. I concluded that such filtration as the Shunyata provides was key to the DAVE/Opto DX performance. Now, it may very well be that I was wrong, that the DC3 would provide the DC3/Opto DX sufficient protection from nasties and that it is the DAVE itself that is extremely sensitive - and that if the DAVE were run on a DC4 the need for the Shunyata to shelter the DAVE from would then, logically, be mains nasties would fall away.

If others have experience of a DC4 sufficing on its own (particularly if they use the Opto DX system from a HMS) I would be very interested to hear about it and extremely grateful for any thoughts (by PM if anyone feels more comfortable that way). Thank you (hopefully)!

Oct 8, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #15,801 of 25,988
I have been having an internal battle re a DC4 - and, so far, have held off because the cables (Shunyata - Alpha and UK6 + 'old' Sigma) I currently use seem to make such a difference that the cost of retaining them and acquiring a DC4 seems a bit bonkers (clearly, very much a personal decision in the wallet pain level stakes - I appreciate there is no right or wrong). I had wondered if I could sell what I have to, effectively, fund a DC4 (conceptually it would make sense, based on my limited understanding).

However, I am running an Opto DX (forgive me, Nick!) on a DC3 and tried taking either that or the DAVE off the UK6 (which otherwise runs the DAVE and the DC3 - nothing else) - neither experiment worked well. I concluded that such filtration as the Shunyata provides was key to the DAVE/Opto DX performance. Now, it may very well be that I was wrong, that the DC3 would provide the DC3/Opto DX sufficient protection from nasties and that it is the DAVE itself that is extremely sensitive - and that if the DAVE were run on a DC4 the need for the Shunyata to shelter the DAVE from would then, logically, be mains nasties would fall away.

If others have experience of a DC4 sufficing on its own (particularly if they use the Opto DX system from a HMS) I would be very interested to hear about it and extremely grateful for any thoughts (by PM if anyone feels more comfortable that way). Thank you (hopefully)!

I can give you some insight but probably best if I message you a reply.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 4:27 AM Post #15,802 of 25,988
120973368_664869781070953_8483001714219562258_n.jpg

Mine was made 2.5-3 months ago but it does have etchings on the back. I wasn't aware the screen was ever not flat or that there was another remote (people always complained about it and it seems fine to me)
Ah, no, I recognize that Dave. It's the faulty one I sent back to Chord last year.
They must have refurbished it and sold it to you as new...
:ksc75smile:

Oct 8, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #15,804 of 25,988
which versions do you run his DC3 or the DC4 one ?

I had the DC3 version which I loved but then got enticed further down the rabbit hole by the DC4 and I think I have the first production version DC4. Sean has told me that he is completing a few back orders for DC3 Dave units but after that the only new option is a DC4 power supply for the Dave because he has decided to discontinue the DC3.

So I would say if you can afford a DC4 you will not regret it but otherwise look out for a second hand DC3 for the Dave. They do occasionally come up but are snapped up pretty quickly.

Oct 8, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #15,805 of 25,988
I had the DC3 version which I loved but then got enticed further down the rabbit hole by the DC4 and I think I have the first production version DC4. Sean has told me that he is completing a few back orders for DC3 Dave units but after that the only new option is a DC4 power supply for the Dave because he has decided to discontinue the DC3.

So I would say if you can afford a DC4 you will not regret it but otherwise look out for a second hand DC3 for the Dave. They do occasionally come up but are snapped up pretty quickly.

That's really interesting. Do you know if Vassil will continue to build DC3s or if Sean is completely retiring the design?

Oct 8, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #15,806 of 25,988
That's really interesting. Do you know if Vassil will continue to build DC3s or if Sean is completely retiring the design?

I spoke to Sean this morning just to make sure before I posted and it seems he is retiring the DC3 for Dave when current parts are exhausted (soon) because the popularity of the DC4 means he does not have the capacity to run the two ranges side by side. I am sure that people would still buy the DC3 because it was/is a great power supply but he has had to make a decision based on logistics.

Oct 9, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #15,808 of 25,988
With respect to power supply and power cables, it would most likely be more cost effective and better to use a battery power supply rather than spending thousands of $ on trying to improve/compensate for dirty power coming out of the wall.

When a power cable costs $3000+ you have to start asking yourself if this solution makes any sense.

Ideally I believe components of DAVE caliber should have an external power supply and accept DC power into the box. The users can then decide for themselves how that DC power is provided.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020 at 5:09 AM Post #15,809 of 25,988
With respect to power supply and power cables, it would most likely be more cost effective and better to use a battery power supply rather than spending thousands of $ on trying to improve/compensate for dirty power coming out of the wall.

When a power cable costs $3000+ you have to start asking yourself if this solution makes any sense.

Ideally I believe components of DAVE caliber should have an external power supply and accept DC power into the box. The users can then decide for themselves how that DC power is provided.
None of this makes any sense, i still don't understand why spend even 1k on a power cable instead of a mains filter. As for the power supply replacement, even if i were to get one, there's always "you also need one for the M-scaler ". Why? as i understood it the M-scaler itself is the one creating most of the noise. I would just go for the opto tx for the m-scaler and call it a day.
With all of this hassle i'm not even inclined to get the m-scaler anymore if it's that much of a headache. I'd rather spend all of that money on a Rolex, or other toys but maybe that's just me lol.
I am however curious how much time people listen to music on average per day that justifies the cost to them.

Oct 9, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #15,810 of 25,988
None of this makes any sense, i still don't understand why spend even 1k on a power cable instead of a mains filter. As for the power supply replacement, even if i were to get one, there's always "you also need one for the M-scaler ". Why? as i understood it the M-scaler itself is the one creating most of the noise. I would just go for the opto tx for the m-scaler and call it a day.
With all of this hassle i'm not even inclined to get the m-scaler anymore if it's that much of a headache. I'd rather spend all of that money on a Rolex, or other toys but maybe that's just me lol.
I am however curious how much time people listen to music on average per day that justifies the cost to them.
Or you could just ignore all the ”you must have this tweak”-people, buy the mscaler and just enjoy music. While I think getting better cables is a good idea, I find supra bnc and power cables enough and they are not expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back