CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Aug 11, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #15,151 of 25,859
In the desktop app from here :
1597175376327.png

Sorry to get sidetracked but try the latest Black Keys album Let’s Rock. Is that even available in non-MQA. With roon, it shows you all versions and only MQA was available. Sort of like how Qobuz only offers hires version and not cd one.

And back on track, yes, the Dave sound is very addicting. For me it’s extra texture it provides.

Aug 11, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #15,152 of 25,859
Some Tidal albums have MQA versions and non-MQA versions, others only have MQA versions.
While your solution definitely works for the Tidal albums with MQA versions, the ideal way to play Tidal albums with both MQA and non-MQA versions is to find the non-MQA version of the album and then play off of it, instead of the MQA version of the album.
Sorry to get sidetracked but try the latest Black Keys album Let’s Rock. Is that even available in non-MQA. With roon, it shows you all versions and only MQA was available. Sort of like how Qobuz only offers hires version and not cd one.

And back on track, yes, the Dave sound is very addicting. For me it’s extra texture it provides.
I'm playing the master album now with the Hi-fi setting and the playback shows a "normal" version and Dave reads 44.1khz. So i'd say it works for all albums.

1597175980745.png

Aug 11, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #15,154 of 25,859
Good points all.

Personally, my only issue with these "audiophile" music servers is the audiophile profit margin.
For example, this Taiko Audio Audio server would cost $28,000 before additional options added. Sure its looks and build quality are great, but what is it really, to command such a price, knowing how much computer parts actually cost out there?

Looks to me like they use a nice Mobo, Intel Enterprise Xeon processors and Optane memory, Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC with customization, feeding data through Roon/Jplay. Integrated linear PS with audiophile-approved electrolytic caps are nice, but nothing one can't do by adding an external PS to computers.

Actually, all nicely done and nice to have all done for you, but $28,000?

It is insane, isn't it? Or, at least "extreme" (dumb pun).

To put it into perspective that huge bank of Mundorf caps, I think Mlytics, is incredibly expensive, but they are still cheaper than its Duelund caps, which cost $1,000 a pop. That's $1,000 just for one capacitor. The bank of ECC RAM alone costs more than whole servers. All the components sourced for this build are of the "no-holds-barred" variety. This is before you factor in the mind-boggling amount of research and expertise it takes to design this from OS to chassis. You also have to account that this is a small shop custom build.

So, this is a certain kind of machine for a certain kind of clientele. Just to be clear, I don't have one, but I hold no jealousy for its buyers nor cynicism for its builder. I don't think of it primarily as the luxury item that it is, but a functional tribute to the state of the art of audio. These cost-no-object explorations elevate what we are all doing in audio at whatever budget. It serves all of us by showing what can be accomplished and opening fresh routes to get there.

Aug 11, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #15,155 of 25,859
I'm playing the master album now with the Hi-fi setting and the playback shows a "normal" version and Dave reads 44.1khz. So i'd say it works for all albums.

1597175980745.png

If it’s listed as master version, that’s MQA. Probably getting even worse conversion to 44.1k. Believe the record company just didn’t supply cd version to Tidal, not necessarily their fault. I’d say best to stay away from ones that say master version even with the hifi option enabled. This makes me feel good about leaving Tidal for Qobuz.

Aug 11, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #15,156 of 25,859
If it’s listed as master version, that’s MQA. Probably getting even worse conversion to 44.1k. Believe the record company just didn’t supply cd version to Tidal, not necessarily their fault. I’d say best to stay away from ones that say master version even with the hifi option enabled. This makes me feel good about leaving Tidal for Qobuz.

That is also why I left Tidal and joined Qobuz. I could never be totally sure what I was getting with Tidal.

Aug 11, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #15,157 of 25,859
I'm using the Tidal app, you can just select Hi-Fi quality instead of master and it automatically plays the non-mqa versions of the Mqa tracks in your playlist.
Let's just put it this way...i'm almost all out of water and couldn't tear myself away from it long to go and buy some. LOL.
It's pretty addictive, way less fatiguing to listen to than my Mojo and TA, really takes the Z1R to a whole new level.
you need to get LCD 4Z! i have both ier/mdr z1r and 4Z... 4Z is an nice step up.

Aug 11, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #15,158 of 25,859
you need to get LCD 4Z! i have both ier/mdr z1r and 4Z... 4Z is an nice step up.
I'm sure it is, problem is i work from home with my fiancee, we're both programmers and we have a huge custom made L shaped desk. Even with closed backs if i turn the music up she can barely work. And i only listen at my desk . So i'm stuck with the Z1R untill some better closed backs come along. I was considering the Lcd-I4's but i doubt they're at the same level, let alone better. Plus all that eq finicking turned me off them.

Aug 11, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #15,159 of 25,859
Do the Focal Stellia pair well with the Dave? I find the Utopia an amazing choice and would think the Stellia would be considered for a great closed headphone. If I needed a closed model, that have would been on my list of top choices.

Aug 11, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #15,160 of 25,859
Do the Focal Stellia pair well with the Dave? I find the Utopia an amazing choice and would think the Stellia would be considered for a great closed headphone. If I needed a closed model, that have would been on my list of top choices.
I tried them but i found them too neutral, sounded a bit thin to me with Dave. Didn't try them with anything else though. Also they didn't have a soundstage as big as the Z1R, which i found better in every way. Though i'm sure some will disagree.
I think the extra bit of warmth they have works perfectly with Dave. With their amp, the sony ta-zh1es, the bass was just too much, but i imagine the Stellia would've been a more exciting listen with it.
I haven't heard the Utopias but from the reviews i've read if i were to get an open back it would probably be the Lcd-4z (Though Audeze reliability is a bit infamous) or the Empyreans.

Aug 11, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #15,161 of 25,859
Dumb question but can't seem to find an answer, do you just turn Dave off from the switch in the back or is there another way?
Edit: used the remote :D

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #15,162 of 25,859
I tried them but i found them too neutral, sounded a bit thin to me with Dave. Didn't try them with anything else though. Also they didn't have a soundstage as big as the Z1R, which i found better in every way. Though i'm sure some will disagree.
I think the extra bit of warmth they have works perfectly with Dave. With their amp, the sony ta-zh1es, the bass was just too much, but i imagine the Stellia would've been a more exciting listen with it.
I haven't heard the Utopias but from the reviews i've read if i were to get an open back it would probably be the Lcd-4z (Though Audeze reliability is a bit infamous) or the Empyreans.
4Z.. much better than the Empy... and Audeze tuned the 4z with Chord gear... sounds phenomenal with mTT2 and H2GO.... but Z1R is great... i heard the Verite Closed is a lateral move... Z1R under rated... beautiful ID and weight... and a fun sound... sound sgreat from H2 as well. But with the gear you now have you need a 4z with the Z1r... for the times you are not disturbing. you can get a nearly mint new one for around 2K if you keep an eye out.

Had a case of upgraditis last week and went on a VC research kick and almost pulled trigger... decided to stay Z1R.

FWIW I sold my Susvara for the 4Z.... Susvara was not my cup of tea.... never pulled me in and I used the Bakoon amp which was just a tad better than direct from TT2.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #15,163 of 25,859
4Z.. much better than the Empy... and Audeze tuned the 4z with Chord gear... sounds phenomenal with mTT2 and H2GO.... but Z1R is great... i heard the Verite Closed is a lateral move... Z1R under rated... beautiful ID and weight... and a fun sound... sound sgreat from H2 as well. But with the gear you now have you need a 4z with the Z1r... for the times you are not disturbing. you can get a nearly mint new one for around 2K if you keep an eye out.

Had a case of upgraditis last week and went on a VC research kick and almost pulled trigger... decided to stay Z1R.

FWIW I sold my Susvara for the 4Z.... Susvara was not my cup of tea.... never pulled me in and I used the Bakoon amp which was just a tad better than direct from TT2.
Damn you're making this hard lol. Had some Oppo PM-3s that i loved and i still miss planars. Going to keep an eye out, the dealer that sold me my Dave sells Audeze as well so i'm sure we can work something out, but right now that listening time is basically 0 so there's not much point. Maybe after the M-scaler :p . Have you tried the HEK SE as well?

Aug 11, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #15,164 of 25,859
Damn you're making this hard lol. Had some Oppo PM-3s that i loved and i still miss planars. Going to keep an eye out, the dealer that sold me my Dave sells Audeze as well so i'm sure we can work something out, but right now that listening time is basically 0 so there's not much point. Maybe after the M-scaler :p . Have you tried the HEK SE as well?
no sense as I had the Susvara.... it tells you everything you need to know about hifi man..... I have had Susvara, Lcd4z, LCD 24, LCD 4 and Z1r all side by side. 4z gives me the most meaty organic soundfield in a package I can actually make portable with the H2GO... and I actually thought they were better than the LCD4.... same music mass but less dark. They only place id go from here is to get the TC... Susvara is great if you are listening to pentatonix all day long.

Aug 12, 2020 at 3:25 AM Post #15,165 of 25,859
no sense as I had the Susvara.... it tells you everything you need to know about hifi man..... I have had Susvara, Lcd4z, LCD 24, LCD 4 and Z1r all side by side. 4z gives me the most meaty organic soundfield in a package I can actually make portable with the H2GO... and I actually thought they were better than the LCD4.... same music mass but less dark. They only place id go from here is to get the TC... Susvara is great if you are listening to pentatonix all day long.
I've been thinking of eventually upgrading the Mojo to a Hugo2 for portable use, maybe when i start going to the office again of travelling for work.
Hugo2+ Lcd4z does make a lot of sense actually. Still hope they make a closed version of it by the time i'm in the market for new headphones. I've been hoping for a lighter lcd-xc for 5 years now, i loved it but it was just way too uncomfortable.
How is the 4z with H2 vs TT2+HMS? have you tried the lcd-i4's by any chance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back