Chord Electronics - CES Launch Extravaganza
Dec 29, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #76 of 635
What does Taps mean?

"The number of taps, more fully known as FIR taps, is an indication of the amount of memory required to implement the filter and the amount of filtering the filter can do. "Off-the-shelf DACs contain only a limited number of taps. A filter has a long delay line featuring a bunch of taps along it. If you want to reconstruct the original waveform, you need lots of taps. There’s a theory that says that, if you want to perfectly re-create the original recording, you have to have an infinite tap-length filter. That’s what the math says. I looked at off-the-shelf systems. These DACs were using around 100 taps. I could see that this would create severe problem in timing."

So Watts started experimenting, using his punkified FPGA chip with a longer tap length and algorithms to try to improve the ability of the filter to reconstruct the original timing. Hence, on the QuteHD, you will find 10,000 taps (the older Chord DAC64 had 1000, while a generic, standard, off-the-shelf DAC features 128). The more taps you feature on a DAC, though, the more memory you need, which adds to the expense.

So, if taps are so important, why do the common chips that populate most of the world’s DACs get by with so few? Reportedly, well-known manufacturers don’t see the low tap count as being a major problem. "They don’t even do listening tests," said Watts. "It doesn’t feature on their event horizon. Design is all done mathematically. They make assumptions and then they just do it." According to Watts, technocrat graduates populate these companies, showing a greater interest in mathematics than sound."

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #77 of 635
I really hope they come out with a reasonably price portable around $599.  With the same treble extension as the Hugo/2Qute.  

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #78 of 635

...and what makes you think Star Trek engineers are the only people who can create an infinite number of filter taps?
happy_face1.gif

For all you know, Rob might have plans to conquer the known universe with taps!
L3000.gif

You cropped of the section of the photo, with him stroking his white cat called DAVE.

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #79 of 635

...and what makes you think Star Trek engineers are the only people who can create an infinite number of filter taps?
happy_face1.gif

For all you know, Rob might have plans to conquer the known universe with taps!
L3000.gif

You cropped off the section of the photo, with him stroking his white cat called DAVE.

Or maybe it's one of the secret devices Rob will be announcing at CES...

Dec 29, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #81 of 635
  Don't dispair, it is available now and called the Mojo. 
biggrin.gif

I owned both the Mojo and 2Qute. Switching between both, I hear less treble extension with the Mojo.  Some people like it that way, so I don't know if it's a bad thing.  I would prefer a bit more extension though.

Dec 29, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #86 of 635

Users who are viewing this thread

Back