Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Nov 12, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #4,531 of 4,904
@yellowblue: Belden 1694A was my favourite coax in my non-Chord setups (bought from Blue Jeans Cable). I am going to try two short ones between my M Scaler and Dave soon. I had some dropouts with the stock M Scaler BNC cables but reconnecting solved it for the moment.

One thing to try is longer cables, say 2m. You might find they sound better. It's worth a go.

Nov 12, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #4,532 of 4,904
@Triode User: Thanks! That is a good point. I may try longer ones as well. I am always confused about the ideal length of digital cables as there are different recommendations... I have already two short Belden 1694A-based cables on order so I will report my findings after receiving them...

One question came to my mind: What length difference of BNC cables is OK for the MScaler/ Dave connection? I do believe that two BNC cables are rarely of the exactly same length... Is there any official Chord-approved length-difference tolerance?

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #4,533 of 4,904
@Triode User: Thanks! That is a good point. I may try longer ones as well. I am always confused about the ideal length of digital cables as there are different recommendations... I have already two short Belden 1694A-based cables on order so I will report my findings after receiving them...

One question came to my mind: What length difference of BNC cables is OK for the MScaler/ Dave connection? I do believe that two BNC cables are rarely of the exactly same length... Is there any official Chord-approved length-difference tolerance?

In the early days of discussions about dual bnc cables for Blu2 there were suggestions by Rob Watts that he preferred 2m cables to shorter ones (preferred in the sense of them being darker, less fatiguing etc etc). I have carried through those experiments with my listening to the MScaler/Dave and it is also my preference for 2m cables compared to shorter ones with HMS/Dave for the same reasons. I have experimented between 0.5m and 2m (I used Belden 4694R for this). However the difference due to cable length although worthwhile was subtle compared to adding the right target frequency ferrites which was more profound. But do try longer cables, it is a cheap experiment.

With your question about having both dual BNC cables the same length it is always sensible for them to be the same but there is no need to be paranoid about them being within 5mm etc. Indeed just to try it for you I am listening now with one 0.5m bnc cable and the other is 2m. No drop outs or problems.

Nov 14, 2018 at 4:43 AM Post #4,534 of 4,904
@Jiffi32

I am happy for you and for Peter that the problems finally are solved. I shipped back my "prototype" Blaxius^2 to Peter and went on with 0,5m Belden/Canare BNC cables which I like very much (they sound more holographic and have more depth than the stock cables). And they have no dropouts costing 20 pounds each.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-...specs-50-cm-/400076880620?hash=item5d2670baec
Is 0,5 meters a long enough run assuming the HMS is placed next to the DAVE rather than directly below it??

Nov 14, 2018 at 4:57 AM Post #4,535 of 4,904
Is 0,5 meters a long enough run assuming the HMS is placed next to the DAVE rather than directly below it??

I have tried 50cm cables and they are physically long enough for a Dave placed near to the side of HMS (mine had about 2cm gap when I tried). As I mentioned before though, you might want to try longer cables dangled behind (do not coil) for possible better sound quality.

Nov 14, 2018 at 5:30 AM Post #4,536 of 4,904
Several questions probably already answered somewhere but didn’t find it:

1. The stock BNC cables have what issues and if so why would they be included?

2. For the best price performance what length BNC cables are ideal.

3. What adapter is needed and how are dual BNC cables connected to the HUGO2?

Thanks

Nov 14, 2018 at 6:13 AM Post #4,538 of 4,904
Several questions probably already answered somewhere but didn’t find it:
1. The stock BNC cables have what issues and if so why would they be included?
2. For the best price performance what length BNC cables are ideal.
3. What adapter is needed and how are dual BNC cables connected to the HUGO2?
Thanks

1. The supplied cables do not have 'issues' as such but they are perhaps best viewed as being 'get you going' cables because they are obviously made to a price point. More expensive cables have better shielding and better BNC connectors with more reliable connection to the cables. However, plenty of people just use the supplied cables.

2. The best price/performance is something where I have a vested interest so I will leave that to others to help you.

3. Most people seem to use the AudioQuest jack to RCA convertor and then RCA to BNC convertors like below. These are widely available from Amazon and other online retailers for not much money.

Regarding where to buy Belden or other cable like the one you mention (there are many similar RG6 cables) it really depends on where you live. The cable cost is only between £1.50 and £2.50 /m so the postage will be a big factor in cost. Just look up suppliers local to you. Yes, get 75 ohm cables and BNC connectors.

Hugo2 converter.jpg

Nov 14, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #4,539 of 4,904
I have tried 50cm cables and they are physically long enough for a Dave placed near to the side of HMS (mine had about 2cm gap when I tried). As I mentioned before though, you might want to try longer cables dangled behind (do not coil) for possible better sound quality.
What happens when BNC cables are coiled? What is the audible effect?

Nov 14, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #4,540 of 4,904
1. The supplied cables do not have 'issues' as such but they are perhaps best viewed as being 'get you going' cables because they are obviously made to a price point. More expensive cables have better shielding and better BNC connectors with more reliable connection to the cables. However, plenty of people just use the supplied cables.

2. The best price/performance is something where I have a vested interest so I will leave that to others to help you.

3. Most people seem to use the AudioQuest jack to RCA convertor and then RCA to BNC convertors like below. These are widely available from Amazon and other online retailers for not much money.

Regarding where to buy Belden or other cable like the one you mention (there are many similar RG6 cables) it really depends on where you live. The cable cost is only between £1.50 and £2.50 /m so the postage will be a big factor in cost. Just look up suppliers local to you. Yes, get 75 ohm cables and BNC connectors.

Is there a one piece option
e.g 3.5mm Mini-Plug-to-2-BNC male adapter?

Nov 14, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #4,541 of 4,904
Is there a one piece option
e.g 3.5mm Mini-Plug-to-2-BNC male adapter?

I haven't seen one but it doesn't mean there isn't.

Nov 14, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #4,542 of 4,904

I have the HMS placed behind my Dave - on the same table as tx-USBultra, my Cybershaft reclocker, server plus power supplies because I don´t want to have too long cables with my spaghetti solution.

Nov 14, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #4,543 of 4,904
I recently added a Choral stand for my Blu2 to allow stacking on top of DAVE. Yes, they're expensive but do look amazing. One side benefit I was not expecting is that Blu2 runs SIGNIFICANTLY cooler in the Choral stand vs. sitting directly on its rubber feet in my rack. Has anyone else observed this? If the Choral stand increases Blu2 longevity/reliability due to less heat buildup then I feel better about the money spent on it :)

Nov 14, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #4,544 of 4,904
I recently added a Choral stand for my Blu2 to allow stacking on top of DAVE. Yes, they're expensive but do look amazing. One side benefit I was not expecting is that Blu2 runs SIGNIFICANTLY cooler in the Choral stand vs. sitting directly on its rubber feet in my rack. Has anyone else observed this? If the Choral stand increases Blu2 longevity/reliability due to less heat buildup then I feel better about the money spent on it :)
I have been very tempted to get the Choral stand for my DAVE. I would get the taller legs and slide my M-Scaler underneath, I think that could be a good look.

I can imagine improved air circulation would cool the Blu 2. My DAVE runs warm, and I notice it runs cooler if the window nearby is open. I think a bit of air circulation helps a lot. I doubt it would after the lifetime of these units - but maybe believing it would be the last push to convince me to get one ...

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #4,545 of 4,904
Dave Blu2 Ceraball.jpg
I have 3 of the original Ceraball feet under my Dave and Blu2. They are raised up 30 mm. It is a very worthwhile upgrade, not only for sound quality but mainly it keeps them much cooler. Even during the very hot summer, the Blu2 just got slightly warm. There is not much difference in its temperature when it is in standby and when it is operating. Unfortunately the original Ceraball feet are no longer available. I can recommend Ansuz resonance control, but they are expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back