Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Sep 13, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #1,532 of 4,904
Thank you guys for the suggestions.

Looks like my idea about "DAVE on top" won't be practical. I had forgotten about Blu2 running hotter than DAVE, and Triode User's photo shows the domed lid to be higher than I had imagined from earlier photos. Also, "Blu2 on top" won't work for me because it obscures DAVE's controls and it at least partly obscures DAVE's "cyclops" display, which aesthetically is the best part of DAVE for me.

So if I'm to continue considering BluDave on the same shelf of my compact rack, it'll have to be back-to-back, or back-to-front, or even an L-shape where the wires cross at 90 degrees.
How would that work with 4 Ferrite cores attached to each BNC cable? L-shape I can see but the other configurations could be quite the challenge.

Sep 13, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #1,533 of 4,904
I'm coming round to the multi box idea - it can be done tastefully.

The irony is that the website that hosts the original of that picture features custom installations that are designed to put most of the electronics out of sight and out of mind:

http://soundimageatl.com/special-installations/special-hi-fi/

Same finish on those speakers as I had, beech - it's kinda impressive how the speakers don't dominate the room. Ideally you'd have everything entirely hidden except for the stuff you interact with...

I also used the same racks, Hutter. Fraim sounds better though, for what it's worth.

Now playing: 10,000 Maniacs - Scorpio Rising

Sep 13, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #1,534 of 4,904
The irony is that the website that hosts the original of that picture features custom installations that are designed to put most of the electronics out of sight and out of mind:

http://soundimageatl.com/special-installations/special-hi-fi/

Same finish on those speakers as I had, beech - it's kinda impressive how the speakers don't dominate the room. Ideally you'd have everything entirely hidden except for the stuff you interact with...

I also used the same racks, Hutter. Fraim sounds better though, for what it's worth.

Now playing: 10,000 Maniacs - Scorpio Rising

I checked that website Jawed and I see that the picture I linked was just the beginning of a much more appealing built in system. Very smart, but still WAF testing.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #1,535 of 4,904
dave/blu 2 with or without external amp for headphone use?.....for those with this magnificent pairing who are using it for headphone listening I wonder how many use it alone or pair it with an external amp...if so what amp?

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #1,536 of 4,904
dave/blu 2 with or without external amp for headphone use?.....for those with this magnificent pairing who are using it for headphone listening I wonder how many use it alone or pair it with an external amp...if so what amp?
WDMyCloudNAS>Intel NUC i7>SOtM sMS200Ultra>IsoRegen>Blu2>Dave>HFC Trinity Helix>Danacables Lazuli Reference>HE1000 V2

Also, one pair of 2 meter Canare BNC cables with 4 Ferrite Cores for each.

Sublime! Original Blue Hawaii/Stax SR009 sold off with absolutely zero regrets.

Sep 14, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #1,537 of 4,904
WDMyCloudNAS>Intel NUC i7>SOtM sMS200Ultra>IsoRegen>Blu2>Dave>HFC Trinity Helix>Danacables Lazuli Reference>HE1000 V2.

How much impact did the HFC Trinity Helix contribute to this combination? Compared to, say, upgrading HEK V2's stock cable to Lazuli Reference?
And what make and length of cable did you use between DAVE and the Trinity Helix?

The Trinity Helix is too big and too pricey for me, but HFC has recently produced a much smaller "portable" version at $299, which is tempting me to try.

Edit: I'm hoping that someone will come up with a sleeker alternative to the mutiple ferrite cores solution for BNC cables. This may be very cost effective, but doen't help cable management one bit. Early days yet I feel for clever Blu2 to DAVE BNC options.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 8:03 AM Post #1,538 of 4,904
WDMyCloudNAS>Intel NUC i7>SOtM sMS200Ultra>IsoRegen>Blu2>Dave>HFC Trinity Helix>Danacables Lazuli Reference>HE1000 V2

Also, one pair of 2 meter Canare BNC cables with 4 Ferrite Cores for each.

Sublime! Original Blue Hawaii/Stax SR009 sold off with absolutely zero regrets.

I would like to know the effect of sMS-200Ultra and ISOREGEN before your Blu2/Dave, is there a subtle improvement or what?

Also I'm curious to know your opinion with HFC Trinity Helix before your Danacable.

Sep 14, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #1,539 of 4,904
I would like to know the effect of sMS-200Ultra and ISOREGEN before your Blu2/Dave, is there a subtle improvement or what?

Also I'm curious to know your opinion with HFC Trinity Helix before your Danacable.
I answered your PM but now I realize that you also publicly posted the same questions. For that reason I've decided to publicly post my PM reply:

>@onionsi, I was using an microRendu alone before purchasing the other items. The sMS-200Ultra made for a very significant improvement in detail and soundstage. The ISOREGEN had a more subtle impact and I have considered trying my system without out it o get a better sense of it's specific contributions.

Also I'm curious to know your opinion with HFC Trinity Helix before your Danacable as i already have it and I want to know how much the improvement of HFC?

> The Trinity Helix proved to be a WOW purchase and now I wouldn't consider listen through headphones at home without it. I consider the most important factor that's led me to sell off my electrostatic set up. IMO it's that good. BTW, the WOW factor came into play even with the stock HE1000 V2 cables.

HTH

Esau

Sep 14, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #1,541 of 4,904
How much impact did the HFC Trinity Helix contribute to this combination? Compared to, say, upgrading HEK V2's stock cable to Lazuli Reference?
And what make and length of cable did you use between DAVE and the Trinity Helix?

The Trinity Helix is too big and too pricey for me, but HFC has recently produced a much smaller "portable" version at $299, which is tempting me to try.

Edit: I'm hoping that someone will come up with a sleeker alternative to the mutiple ferrite cores solution for BNC cables. This may be very cost effective, but doen't help cable management one bit. Early days yet I feel for clever Blu2 to DAVE BNC options.
@TheAttorney, I refer you to my post reply(above) to @onionsi. The Trinity Helix was by far the more significant upgrade compared to replacing the stock cable with the Danacable Lazuli Reference(and the Lazuli Reference is no slouch). Yes, the Trinity Helix is expensive but it works with any combination of 1/4 inch headphone cable and amplifier so you can swap it in and out with whatever you happen to have in your listening chain at the moment(minus electrostatics, of course). For me, this increases the value substantially.

BTW, you probably know that there are separate reviews posted at www.audiobacon.net re: the Trinity Helix and its much less expensive younger brother. I have never heard the portable version so I can offer no opinion.

I bought a relatively inexpensive(under 100 USD) 1 meter Mogami Gold cable from a local guitar shop to use in between Dave and the Trinity Helix. HFC is considering making it's own cable for this singular use but nothing has been announced thus far(plus it obviously would not sell for under $100).

Romaz' fairly recent post(#1350) gives you a good indication of the size of Trinity Helix relative to BluDave.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #1,542 of 4,904
I answered your PM but now I realize that you also publicly posted the same questions. For that reason I've decided to publicly post my PM reply:

>@onionsi, I was using an microRendu alone before purchasing the other items. The sMS-200Ultra made for a very significant improvement in detail and soundstage. The ISOREGEN had a more subtle impact and I have considered trying my system without out it o get a better sense of it's specific contributions.

Also I'm curious to know your opinion with HFC Trinity Helix before your Danacable as i already have it and I want to know how much the improvement of HFC?

> The Trinity Helix proved to be a WOW purchase and now I wouldn't consider listen through headphones at home without it. I consider the most important factor that's led me to sell off my electrostatic set up. IMO it's that good. BTW, the WOW factor came into play even with the stock HE1000 V2 cables.

HTH

Esau

What about upgrade between blue2 vs Hfc trinity helix?

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #1,543 of 4,904
What about upgrade between blue2 vs Hfc trinity helix?

I quoted hereunder @romaz post for your information,

My viewpoint is that nothing can provide the resolution that Blu2 can when combined with DAVE. As much as I've spoken about the impact of upstream components, they are hugely overshadowed by the impact of Blu2, simply an engineering masterpiece without equal. As previously stated, everything is gravy after BluDAVE.

Sep 14, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #1,545 of 4,904
Unquestionably Blu2, as it should be given not only the price differential but the essentially career long R&D that Rob has invested in Blu2.

Thanks, I know everything could improve the chain, but wondering which make greatest improvement for your chain since you wowed on the HFC trinity helix which make me curious :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back