Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 12, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #1,126 of 4,904
As you have already LPS-1, i advise you to try IsoRegen from UpTone Audio as it costs 325$ which IMHO it is mandatory tweak despite Dave is immune to USB cable and it is well galvanized but what i got from IsoRegen is other worldly.

You can find a lot of appreciation from audiophiles in CA forum to IsoRegen.

There are other tweaks from SoTM but it will cost an additional thousand dollars.

AFAIK from @Rob Watts, he didn't recommend an external clock but may be he has another opinion for these tweaks, i don't know but this is what i got and indeed i like it.

This is a hobby and not a competition so of course we can all do what we want as long as it makes us happy. But you are right that Rob Watts does not share the enthusiasm for upstream tweaks to Dave. Just as with exotic cables, I continue not to spend on these sort of tweaks and will put the money saved into the kitty for the next main box upgrade eg amp, dac or whatever. The proverbial YMMV applies and as long as your music makes you smile then I support it.

Aug 12, 2017 at 4:09 AM Post #1,127 of 4,904
And that is why when I was manufacturing speakers ( MACH 1Acoustics, between flying jobs) I had speaker wire custom made for my internal wiring 10 gauge twisted pair hi purity copper polyethylene insulation double the runs to the woofer and midrange ( more current goes to the midrange than the woofer!)

Good man!!

Aug 12, 2017 at 5:14 AM Post #1,128 of 4,904
Priorities priorities!
1. Room acoustics
2. Loudspeakers
3. Source
4. Cables and interconnects
5. Power
6. Tweaks vibration isolation etc
How many systems have you seen with the speakers up against a wall and a large screen tv between them Room Acoustcs first! Cost nothing to rearange the room!

Aug 12, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #1,129 of 4,904
As you have already LPS-1, i advise you to try IsoRegen from UpTone Audio as it costs 325$ which IMHO it is mandatory tweak despite Dave is immune to USB cable and it is well galvanized but what i got from IsoRegen is other worldly.
Hehe. My CAPSv3 Carbon Windows 10 computer has on old SoTM card in it. I actually have a spare LPS-1 which was intended to power that card except I found out it doesn't have enough power. So my longer term plan is to try Roon out and see if I like it. If I do, I'll probably buy the UltraRendu and pair that with the LPS-1 and replace my Windows headless PC. If I don't, I'll probably get an IsoRegen to try and continue to use my current PC setup. For me, this upgrade is more about user interface and the smaller aesthetics of UltraRendu, rather than sound quality. But if there's a significant sound quality improvement, that'll be nice too.

Aug 12, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #1,130 of 4,904
I'll report back my impressions in a couple of weeks time when my ISO Regen arrives. This with and without my microRendu currently connected to DAVE.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #1,132 of 4,904
listening to my dave/B2 combo the thing that stands out to me is that not only does it sound great but it is simply less fatiguing than other sources..at least for me....i find greater depth to the music and a bit more detail...it is really quite different than the dave alone...i find these things difficult to describe,some people will tell you they hear a violin more clearly or the piano sounds different etc...for me the proper description is simply less fatigue,more depth and detail and more enjoyment..in addition i find the music more involving,i find i literally can understand lyrics i never understood and i find listening at slightly louder levels is more comfortable....

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #1,133 of 4,904
listening to my dave/B2 combo the thing that stands out to me is that not only does it sound great but it is simply less fatiguing than other sources..at least for me....i find greater depth to the music and a bit more detail...it is really quite different than the dave alone...i find these things difficult to describe,some people will tell you they hear a violin more clearly or the piano sounds different etc...for me the proper description is simply less fatigue,more depth and detail and more enjoyment..in addition i find the music more involving,i find i literally can understand lyrics i never understood and i find listening at slightly louder levels is more comfortable....

It is difficult to explain but I think that my experience is similar to yours. After 3 months with BluDave I feel that music is more real, has more presence, more detail but less listening fatigue. I stop listening because I am tired of being seated, not because music get on my nerves. Bad recordings will never sound good, but a lot more involving anyway. I'm done with this source

Aug 13, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #1,134 of 4,904
It is difficult to explain but I think that my experience is similar to yours. After 3 months with BluDave I feel that music is more real, has more presence, more detail but less listening fatigue. I stop listening because I am tired of being seated, not because music get on my nerves. Bad recordings will never sound good, but a lot more involving anyway. I'm done with this source

I agree on both points. BluDave is very relaxed and natural sounding and there is no fatigue that I have always found with either prolonged or high volume listening to digital sources. I do find myself listening at higher volumes as a consequence and I am trying to dial it back a bit!

Also, like you, I'm done now with my system. With a Roon core playing direct into Blu II via USB, we can play CD, files, Tidal and Internet radio using a single app and without the need to switch input sources on the Dave - all very important for WAF factor. All sources are sounding really good, even internet radio.

I knew exactly what I wanted to achieve and I've picked up a few good tips along the way from this forum. It's taken a few years and has been occasionally frustrating, but it is very gratifying to be done with it now and have a setup that I am happy to settle with as finished.

Aug 13, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #1,135 of 4,904
I got a new Roon core music server last week and it has sat atop my rack whilst I set it up, loaded my files and backed the whole thing up. This afternoon, I stripped my rack down and reloaded it and, before I put the Blu II back on the top shelf, I played the server straight into Dave out of curiosity. After the best part of 3 months now running with BluDave, the Dave on its own wasn't even close. I was quite surprised at the scale of difference and I definitely would not want to go back now.

I would advise against trialling the Blu II unless you probably do intend to buy it as you're best off not comparing them otherwise.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #1,139 of 4,904
I asked @Rob Watts same questions, this sample will be available upon Davina will be available which I hope before end of this year.
...even before then, I hope. Surely Rob must have USB readback test software for debugging the BluDave combo. So even without Davina ...just grabbing 60 seconds of a rights-free song plus the equivalent redbook version can't be more than a few hours work (!)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back