1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by ChordElectronics, Jan 5, 2017.
First

Back
66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75
77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86
Next

Last
  1. Triode User
    This is a hobby and not a competition so of course we can all do what we want as long as it makes us happy. But you are right that Rob Watts does not share the enthusiasm for upstream tweaks to Dave. Just as with exotic cables, I continue not to spend on these sort of tweaks and will put the money saved into the kitty for the next main box upgrade eg amp, dac or whatever. The proverbial YMMV applies and as long as your music makes you smile then I support it.

onsionsi likes this.
  2. Triode User
    Good man!!

3. marcmccalmont
    Priorities priorities!
    1. Room acoustics
    2. Loudspeakers
    3. Source
    4. Cables and interconnects
    5. Power
    6. Tweaks vibration isolation etc
    How many systems have you seen with the speakers up against a wall and a large screen tv between them Room Acoustcs first! Cost nothing to rearange the room!

ecwl and oscarnr like this.
  4. ecwl
    Hehe. My CAPSv3 Carbon Windows 10 computer has on old SoTM card in it. I actually have a spare LPS-1 which was intended to power that card except I found out it doesn't have enough power. So my longer term plan is to try Roon out and see if I like it. If I do, I'll probably buy the UltraRendu and pair that with the LPS-1 and replace my Windows headless PC. If I don't, I'll probably get an IsoRegen to try and continue to use my current PC setup. For me, this upgrade is more about user interface and the smaller aesthetics of UltraRendu, rather than sound quality. But if there's a significant sound quality improvement, that'll be nice too.

5. TheAttorney
    I'll report back my impressions in a couple of weeks time when my ISO Regen arrives. This with and without my microRendu currently connected to DAVE.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    darkless and onsionsi like this.
  6. onsionsi
    Looking forward for your feedback also bear in mind that microRendu has HW1.4 available update and upon to audiophiles in CA forum, this update had a vastly improvement in every aspect.

7. jlbrach
    listening to my dave/B2 combo the thing that stands out to me is that not only does it sound great but it is simply less fatiguing than other sources..at least for me....i find greater depth to the music and a bit more detail...it is really quite different than the dave alone...i find these things difficult to describe,some people will tell you they hear a violin more clearly or the piano sounds different etc...for me the proper description is simply less fatigue,more depth and detail and more enjoyment..in addition i find the music more involving,i find i literally can understand lyrics i never understood and i find listening at slightly louder levels is more comfortable....

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    darkless, oscarnr, JaZZ and 2 others like this.
  8. oscarnr
    It is difficult to explain but I think that my experience is similar to yours. After 3 months with BluDave I feel that music is more real, has more presence, more detail but less listening fatigue. I stop listening because I am tired of being seated, not because music get on my nerves. Bad recordings will never sound good, but a lot more involving anyway. I'm done with this source

Malcyg likes this.
  9. Malcyg
    I agree on both points. BluDave is very relaxed and natural sounding and there is no fatigue that I have always found with either prolonged or high volume listening to digital sources. I do find myself listening at higher volumes as a consequence and I am trying to dial it back a bit!

Also, like you, I'm done now with my system. With a Roon core playing direct into Blu II via USB, we can play CD, files, Tidal and Internet radio using a single app and without the need to switch input sources on the Dave - all very important for WAF factor. All sources are sounding really good, even internet radio.

I knew exactly what I wanted to achieve and I've picked up a few good tips along the way from this forum. It's taken a few years and has been occasionally frustrating, but it is very gratifying to be done with it now and have a setup that I am happy to settle with as finished.

oscarnr likes this.
  10. Malcyg
    I got a new Roon core music server last week and it has sat atop my rack whilst I set it up, loaded my files and backed the whole thing up. This afternoon, I stripped my rack down and reloaded it and, before I put the Blu II back on the top shelf, I played the server straight into Dave out of curiosity. After the best part of 3 months now running with BluDave, the Dave on its own wasn't even close. I was quite surprised at the scale of difference and I definitely would not want to go back now.

I would advise against trialling the Blu II unless you probably do intend to buy it as you're best off not comparing them otherwise.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    onsionsi and oscarnr like this.
  11. dmance
    @Rob Watts
    I will plead for a wee sample of a Blu2 upscaled .wav file. Anything. Just to get a taste of what @Malcyg is talking about.

Malcyg likes this.
  12. onsionsi
    I asked @Rob Watts same questions, this sample will be available upon Davina will be available which I hope before end of this year.

13. onsionsi
    @dmance , I think you are trying to resist your self of buying Blu2 as many Chord lovers:heart_eyes:.

Malcyg likes this.
  14. dmance
    ...even before then, I hope. Surely Rob must have USB readback test software for debugging the BluDave combo. So even without Davina ...just grabbing 60 seconds of a rights-free song plus the equivalent redbook version can't be more than a few hours work (!)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  15. onsionsi
    I wish, I hope, I love, I adore @Rob Watts can do that ASAP.

First

Back
66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75
77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86
Next

Last