Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 15, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #1,156 of 4,904
The problem with CD mechs is not the cost but that they break. Also in such a small chassis the real-estate taken by the CD mech is needed for proper cooling.

The Davina ADC seems like a good product, while I don't need an ADC it would be nice to be able to play vinyl and also the bidirectional USB would allow me to resample favorite music for mobile playback.

Wait until you know about the price. This may turn out to be a high end bit of kit aimed at pro users rather than hobbyists.

And the bi-directional USB uses a much more powerful USB decoder, and brand new software...

ie more expense.

Davina will have the M Scaler just like the Blu2 but instead of a CD mechanism it will have an analogue to digital convertor and the bi-directional USB all of which sounds a load more expensive than a CD mechanism. ie total cost greater than Blu2.

Of course I am just guessing, only Chord can have any real handle on it.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 5:40 AM Post #1,157 of 4,904
Letter to Chord August 2017

This year you announced two new units, the Hugo 2 and the Blu2. According to your pages both are being shipped, but the endless delays around the globe has turned this into a disaster, for customers and the company as well, and we are not sure, if Chord can recover from this. It was a needless attempt to blame the parts/chip suppliers, because you have fallen into the modern “on demand” trap: Nobody wants to run warehouses, everything is ordered on demand, even our food late night. So you wasted 2 months to notice, that different batches of the same chip did behave differently. For the chip suppliers you are a comparatively small company, not so important for them. We simply do not know if you have learnt your lesson, but your present silence is the worst option at all. When things go wrong there is definitely just one option: Mr. Franks, speak to use, take the lead! It is an offend, when I can read: “blu2 available in April”. My order for a silver one was promised for July, and I am still waiting. The importer has not the faintest idea about time of delivery.

Aug 15, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #1,158 of 4,904
I do like the delicate yet tactile way in which Blu II delivers vocalists d's, g's, k's and t's. There's a balance of lower weight and upper presence that is atmospheric on the right tracks. In a similar vein that same weight, presence and delicacy is also there on something like the drummers brush work on Leonard Cohen's 'I'm Leaving the Table'

Blu II has a presence band that you feel you could almost touch.

Aug 15, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #1,159 of 4,904
Letter to Chord August 2017

This year you announced two new units, the Hugo 2 and the Blu2. According to your pages both are being shipped, but the endless delays around the globe has turned this into a disaster, for customers and the company as well, and we are not sure, if Chord can recover from this. It was a needless attempt to blame the parts/chip suppliers, because you have fallen into the modern “on demand” trap: Nobody wants to run warehouses, everything is ordered on demand, even our food late night. So you wasted 2 months to notice, that different batches of the same chip did behave differently. For the chip suppliers you are a comparatively small company, not so important for them. We simply do not know if you have learnt your lesson, but your present silence is the worst option at all. When things go wrong there is definitely just one option: Mr. Franks, speak to use, take the lead! It is an offend, when I can read: “blu2 available in April”. My order for a silver one was promised for July, and I am still waiting. The importer has not the faintest idea about time of delivery.
Thank you for this note may I ask firstly in which country is your distributor located. Ranting like this at Chord and Myself without providing any facts does not really help a call to Chord would normally give you enough information as to our actual culpability. Anyhow although I'm on vacation when you let me know who, I'll check when your distributor did indeed place the order for your unit and I'll check that they are up to date with their agreed payments allowing us to ship and if the unit is finished and waiting shipment. As your comment of can we survive this. Yes I think we can, but thank you for your obvious kind concern we will do all we can to keep you informed and progress your unit.

Aug 15, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #1,162 of 4,904
Short and simple post if slightly enigmatic.

I'm still waiting for Godot.

Yes short, but not making a purchase of the Blu 2 ( was on the fence ) but finally made my choice now official.

Godot well your guess is as good as mind, M Scaler more likely when sales drop of the Blu 2 perhaps sooner.

However looking at the supply of Blu 2 at the moment maybe the same wait...!

Anyhow time will tell.

Aug 15, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #1,163 of 4,904
Wait until you know about the price. This may turn out to be a high end bit of kit aimed at pro users rather than hobbyists.

ie more expense.

Davina will have the M Scaler just like the Blu2 but instead of a CD mechanism it will have an analogue to digital convertor and the bi-directional USB all of which sounds a load more expensive than a CD mechanism. ie total cost greater than Blu2.

Of course I am just guessing, only Chord can have any real handle on it.
Davina will match Dave in size and comparable in price. It's the most complex design I have ever done, both in terms of coding and components. I am awaiting the prototype being built.

From Rob I was under the impression that Davina will be resonable prices compared to Dave.... But Frank might have some other ideas of course. :)

Aug 15, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #1,164 of 4,904
From Rob I was under the impression that Davina will be resonable prices compared to Dave.... But Frank might have some other ideas of course. :)

Ah, I didn't see that post lurking in the Hugo2 thread.

What Rob said though was that Davina will be comparable in price to Dave. Dave is more expensive than Blu2.

So based on that Blu2 may be the cheapest way to get an M Scaler for the moment.

Of course we will need to see if Davina beings any extra toys to the party in terms of features that will make it attractive over and above Blu2.

I accept that fundamentally it is an analogue to digital convertor but I bet many people will eye it up as being an M Scaler with added frilly bits.

Aug 15, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #1,165 of 4,904
for those interested,tidal has a new update today that so far seems to have fixed the problem with chord Dac's

Aug 15, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #1,166 of 4,904
for those interested,tidal has a new update today that so far seems to have fixed the problem with chord Dac's

What was the problem?

Aug 15, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #1,167 of 4,904
there was an issue using the exclusive mode...fixed now

Aug 15, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #1,168 of 4,904
Oh, no idea what that means. I hadn't noticed any problem except that sometimes Blu2 wouldn't lock onto the digital signal from Tidal properly and I just get static until I try a second track and then it corrects .

Aug 15, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #1,169 of 4,904
i have had the problem of the first song static for months....the exclusive mode was a recent issue that seems to have been dealt with

Aug 16, 2017 at 1:35 AM Post #1,170 of 4,904
i have had the problem of the first song static for months....the exclusive mode was a recent issue that seems to have been dealt with

Actually for me that 'first song static' isn't just Tidal. I also get it when streaming radio to Blu2. When I first start the radio stream I get distorted music/static. If I then try another stream it plays ok. And then I can revert to the original stream which now plays OK.

The same is true with Tidal streams for the first song.

It doesn't happen all the time. It is possibly after Blu2 has been switched off (but I haven't properly investigated if that is the circumstance where it occurs).

Does anyone else have this issue?

@Rob Watts - any idea what is going on? I am using an Auralic Aries streamer and connecting to the Blu2 via USB.

Thanks, Nick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back