Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 10, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #1,096 of 4,904
you are correct,thank you...while my b2 remote does not control the volume on my dave the original dave remote does indeed control the CD functions on the b2....

Aug 10, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #1,097 of 4,904
you are correct,thank you...while my b2 remote does not control the volume on my dave the original dave remote does indeed control the CD functions on the b2....
I need to get home after work and tennis to double check on this. But the B2 remote is a pseudo-universal remote so if you click a button that sets it to control something else and then click the volume button, I think that's when it won't control DAVE's volume. But I can't remember which button you have to click back to get back to controlling DAVE's volume at work. But as others have said, other than using the Blu2 remote button to turn off the display on Blu2 if you're a USB guy, I find it much better to use the DAVE remote to control everything.

Aug 10, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #1,098 of 4,904
I need to get home after work and tennis to double check on this. But the B2 remote is a pseudo-universal remote so if you click a button that sets it to control something else and then click the volume button, I think that's when it won't control DAVE's volume. But I can't remember which button you have to click back to get back to controlling DAVE's volume at work. But as others have said, other than using the Blu2 remote button to turn off the display on Blu2 if you're a USB guy, I find it much better to use the DAVE remote to control everything.

I think it's the HIFI button, which acts as a toggle between the two modes, also named "ESC", to escape from its partial functionality as a Dave remote. All completely intuitive :)

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #1,099 of 4,904
i recognize that I am in the minority here regarding CD's.....I am a CD guy and own in excess of 5K cd's including a large collection of mosaic jazz sets and other hard to find albums etc....I use Tidal for the most part for my HP listening but have found that there are tons of CD's I own in physical form that are favorites of mine that are not currently available on Tidal...there are a number of artists of renown who have not yet allowed their music to be on any streaming services....for me the ability to augment Tidal and listen to my CD's that i cant access on Tidal using the Blu 2 is a godsend...in addition the CD section of the Blu 2 is outstanding and it sounds fabulous...one small complaint, the CD compartment is rather clunky and difficult to access and if you have large fingers it is a task to extract a CD..that said,I am thrilled with the combination of CD player and USB connection to Tidal or any other service!

Aug 10, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #1,100 of 4,904
And I didn't realise that the standby button on the Blu II remote was a means of turning off the display as it only shuts down the CD side of things, and allows USB playback to continue. Again, undocumented in the manual.

Aug 10, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #1,101 of 4,904
I think it's the HIFI button, which acts as a toggle between the two modes, also named "ESC", to escape from its partial functionality as a Dave remote. All completely intuitive :)

It is indeed the Hifi button that toggles back and forth...thanks

Aug 10, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #1,102 of 4,904
i recognize that I am in the minority here regarding CD's.....I am a CD guy and own in excess of 5K cd's including a large collection of mosaic jazz sets and other hard to find albums etc....I use Tidal for the most part for my HP listening but have found that there are tons of CD's I own in physical form that are favorites of mine that are not currently available on Tidal...there are a number of artists of renown who have not yet allowed their music to be on any streaming services....for me the ability to augment Tidal and listen to my CD's that i cant access on Tidal using the Blu 2 is a godsend...in addition the CD section of the Blu 2 is outstanding and it sounds fabulous...one small complaint, the CD compartment is rather clunky and difficult to access and if you have large fingers it is a task to extract a CD..that said,I am thrilled with the combination of CD player and USB connection to Tidal or any other service!

The point about the CD compartment is a fair one - form does not really follow function. It clamps down like a mousetrap, and extracting CDs is fiddly. I found it helps to press the CD down at the rear to remove, avoiding scratching the face of the disc. The little recess at the front is only large enough to take a child's finger, which is your other alternative:

"Sweetie, wake up, I want you to change a CD for me"

"But daddy, my finger's still bruised from when the lid shut last time"

"Fine, fine, I'll ask mummy, but she'll insist on playing her Adele CD for the rest of the evening"

"Have you thought of ripping your CDs instead, daddy?"

"Just go back to sleep"

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #1,103 of 4,904
I am always amazed that in cases like this with such advanced tech and so much hard work put into the process that simple things such as the CD compartment and extraction are almost ignored or given some little attention!

Aug 10, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #1,104 of 4,904
I am always amazed that in cases like this with such advanced tech and so much hard work put into the process that simple things such as the CD compartment and extraction are almost ignored or given some little attention!

Or, you could use a pen in the recess, slide it under the CD, flip it and catch the CD as it falls :)

Indeed, what were they thinking.

Aug 11, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #1,105 of 4,904
Or, you could use a pen in the recess, slide it under the CD, flip it and catch the CD as it falls :)

Indeed, what were they thinking.

CD compartment is a disaster. Very cumbersome to change CD. I have a large collection of CDs (I lost how large long time ago, but more than 5K). Nowadays I rip them with dBpoweramp and use Amarra with IRC correction. Easier

Aug 11, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #1,107 of 4,904
The Blu2 lid makes the CD changing into an 'event' perhaps somewhat like the phaff associated with changing vinyl on a turntable. So maybe it is a Chord deliberate design? (Tongue firmly in cheek there!).

Aug 11, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #1,109 of 4,904
I'm planning on connecting my Aurender N10 to Blu2, in the past I've been happy with Cardas clear USB cables, noticed they have a new high speed version is anyone familiar with this cable? Thanks Marc
I would hold off on USB cables with Blu2. I used to hear subtle differences with DAVE with really noisy USB sources. But I think the galvanic isolation between Blu2 and DAVE is even better than DAVE's USB so I actually don't hear any differences anymore as long as your source USB doesn't act up with Blu2.

Aug 11, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #1,110 of 4,904
I would hold off on USB cables with Blu2. I used to hear subtle differences with DAVE with really noisy USB sources. But I think the galvanic isolation between Blu2 and DAVE is even better than DAVE's USB so I actually don't hear any differences anymore as long as your source USB doesn't act up with Blu2.

Good advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back