Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 8, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #1,067 of 4,904
so pretty much just connect up the cables and i am good to go?...are there any settings i need to make sure are set right etc?
Hi. Set up and enjoy. In my case I had strange dropouts (less than a second) when connected BNC cables (not the supplied) to BNC 1+2 in my DAVE. I changed to BNC 3+4 and everything fabulous.
Enjoy the BluDave

Aug 8, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #1,068 of 4,904
follow up question on a different subject...i have been using my dave with tidal from my macbook pro for some time now without issue...i have had it set to exclusive mode in tidal settings and have been able to listen to both Hifi and MQA recordings....last night i saw that there was an available upgrade so i restarted tidal and ever since i have been having a problem....when i set it to exclusive mode now it allows me to listen to MQA recordings but Hifi recordings have a harsh distant scratchy sound....when i remove the check mark from the exclusive setting it works fine in hifi but does not work at all in MQA....i realize that dave does not have MQA functionality but i was getting higher rez up to 96 now as i describe it is all messed up it seems...perhaps somebody might be able to help here,it is impossible to reach anybody at tidal

Aug 8, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #1,069 of 4,904
follow up question on a different subject...i have been using my dave with tidal from my macbook pro for some time now without issue...i have had it set to exclusive mode in tidal settings and have been able to listen to both Hifi and MQA recordings....last night i saw that there was an available upgrade so i restarted tidal and ever since i have been having a problem....when i set it to exclusive mode now it allows me to listen to MQA recordings but Hifi recordings have a harsh distant scratchy sound....when i remove the check mark from the exclusive setting it works fine in hifi but does not work at all in MQA....i realize that dave does not have MQA functionality but i was getting higher rez up to 96 now as i describe it is all messed up it seems...perhaps somebody might be able to help here,it is impossible to reach anybody at tidal

Same thing a user reported in the Hugo2 thread. Here is Tidal's contact page (in case you haven't already tried it):

http://tidal.com/ca/contact

Edit: Here is the bug reporting page:

http://tidal.com/lp/bugreport/

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #1,070 of 4,904
i appreciate that,i did send them an email but who knows if i will ever hear back....

Aug 8, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #1,071 of 4,904
i appreciate that,i did send them an email but who knows if i will ever hear back....

If you do please keep us updated. It drives me nuts when software breaks.

Aug 8, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #1,072 of 4,904
will do,very frustrating

Aug 9, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #1,073 of 4,904
Following on further regarding XLR vs RCA attributes and indeed running Dave straight to a high sensitivity speaker. This (below) from the cable manufacturer Chord Cables.

It occurs that if I were to run BlueDave as a power source direct to an Omega speaker, in theory the best connection for me would likely be XLR a) because it would provide double the output and b) because I would be using a 5 metre run. I am sure Omega have been asked this question and probably it is not possible but its an interesting premise I guess.

XLR vs RCA – which is best?
It’s very easy to assume that if your equipment has both XLR and RCA connections, that XLR connections are going to be the better sounding connection. It’s not always the case.

The XLR connection carries a balanced signal. The hot pin carries the signal, the cold pin also carries the signal but inverted (think mirror image) and the third carries the earth. At the receiving equipment, any noise that is common to both the hot and cold pins is cancelled out. This makes a lot of sense in recording studios where long runs of cable are often needed to carry the small voltage signal generated by a microphone over (certainly in terms of hi-fi) very long runs of cable.

In a hi-fi system though, where perhaps the longest interconnect is 1 metre and the signal is up to 4 volts, then the need for XLR connections is more questionable.

The most important thing though is sound quality, and this is harder to be certain about. Our experience is that there are systems where the XLR connection sounds better than the RCA connection, and there are systems where the opposite is true.

So with any system that has both XLR and RCA connections, we would recommend that you try both connections and decide for yourself which is the better sounding connection for you. This is also something that your dealer will be happy to advise you on.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #1,074 of 4,904
I tried Maria Callas - Bizet Carmen CD last night. This is the 1964 recording produced by Michel Glotz and balanced by Paul Vavasseur that was painstakingly remastered by Abbey Road Studios in 2014 for Warner Classics.

I use this recording when setting up speakers because it was so well mic'd for stage recreation. If ever there was a recording to grandstand Blu II's imaging attributes this gets my vote. I normally test speaker setup with track 3 but there are a number of tracks that would easily be as useful.

As a side note, if anyone knows what Mic's and equipment were used in this recording I would be most interested because the clarity is astonishing through BluDave.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #1,075 of 4,904
I tried Maria Callas - Bizet Carmen CD last night. This is the 1964 recording produced by Michel Glotz and balanced by Paul Vavasseur that was painstakingly remastered by Abbey Road Studios in 2014 for Warner Classics.

I use this recording when setting up speakers because it was so well mic'd for stage recreation. If ever there was a recording to grandstand Blu II's imaging attributes this gets my vote. I normally test speaker setup with track 3 but there are a number of tracks that would easily be as useful.

As a side note, if anyone knows what Mic's and equipment were used in this recording I would be most interested because the clarity is astonishing through BluDave.

Thanks for that suggestion. Is this the one?

Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 11.33.27.png

Aug 9, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #1,076 of 4,904
Very much looks like it TU. Code 825646341108

Aug 9, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #1,077 of 4,904
Aug 9, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #1,078 of 4,904
A lot of people seem to use Chord cables with Chord kit and a fair few dealers seem to set Chord systems up with Cord cable as well. Why is that given the very wide range of cables available? I presume they may be complimentary for some reason.

Aug 9, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #1,079 of 4,904

It was recorded in July 1964 at Salle Wagram, Paris, a former ballroom built in 1812. Described as having an “acoustique exceptionnelle”, it was used extensively by EMI at the time, usually with the engineer Paul Vavasseur, who was the engineer on this recording. I don’t know the microphones used – I imagine the usual valve models of the time -- but I suspect that the quality of the recording is primarily due to the acoustic and microphone placement, and an engineer who knew the space intimately. And it was Callas! She also recorded Tosca there in the same year, though her earlier 1953 recording made at La Scala is probably better known.

Salle Wagram is still in use today as a recording and performance venue, and there’s a website with a brief overview of its history (in French). You can even take a virtual tour:

http://www.salle-wagram.fr/

Bon Chance

At the time, it was often the case that orchestral recordings would be in venue’s other than the orchestra’s regular concert hall, many of which did not have particularly good acoustics, or lacked the facilities required. The Vienna Philharmonic frequently recorded at the Sofiensaal (also a former dance hall), even though the Musikverein has a wonderful acoustic. I strongly recommend “The Golden Ring”, the BBC film of Solti, Culshaw & Co. recording Götterdämmerung at the Sofiensaal. Fascinating stuff.

Aug 9, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #1,080 of 4,904
It was recorded in July 1964 at Salle Wagram, Paris, a former ballroom built in 1812. Described as having an “acoustique exceptionnelle”, it was used extensively by EMI at the time, usually with the engineer Paul Vavasseur, who was the engineer on this recording. I don’t know the microphones used – I imagine the usual valve models of the time -- but I suspect that the quality of the recording is primarily due to the acoustic and microphone placement, and an engineer who knew the space intimately. And it was Callas! She also recorded Tosca there in the same year, though her earlier 1953 recording made at La Scala is probably better known.

Salle Wagram is still in use today as a recording and performance venue, and there’s a website with a brief overview of its history (in French). You can even take a virtual tour:

http://www.salle-wagram.fr/

Bon Chance

At the time, it was often the case that orchestral recordings would be in venue’s other than the orchestra’s regular concert hall, many of which did not have particularly good acoustics, or lacked the facilities required. The Vienna Philharmonic frequently recorded at the Sofiensaal (also a former dance hall), even though the Musikverein has a wonderful acoustic. I strongly recommend “The Golden Ring”, the BBC film of Solti, Culshaw & Co. recording Götterdämmerung at the Sofiensaal. Fascinating stuff.

Thank you Crgreen. That's very interesting. It may be why I have been so impressed by a number of EMI recordings of the era. I will investigate further when I have time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back