Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 1, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #4,771 of 4,904
I just heard this as well. My dealer contacted me as I have one on order. Apparently I will be getting one of the last units.

The reason I was given is that the Phillips drive that they use in the Blu2 is no longer available. I wonder if there will be a Blu3 designed around another drive?

That reason makes much more sense. Perhaps this pushes the 2nd hand value of the Blu Mk2 up!!

Jan 1, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #4,772 of 4,904
I just heard this as well. My dealer contacted me as I have one on order. Apparently I will be getting one of the last units.

The reason I was given is that the Phillips drive that they use in the Blu2 is no longer available. I wonder if there will be a Blu3 designed around another drive?

Indeed, or whether Chord will introduce a new Choral range Mscaler without any CD player. I still play CDs but I’m not sure whether I am in the minority.

Jan 1, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #4,773 of 4,904
For me, the Blu2 remains the ultimate digital source reference. All this upstream digital Gymnastics is about trying to get the convenience of computer playback with close to the quality of Blu2 with CD. I love the fact that the most profoundly revolutionary audio product of the last couple decades was a CD player. I miss mine terribly,

Jan 1, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #4,774 of 4,904
That reason makes much more sense. Perhaps this pushes the 2nd hand value of the Blu Mk2 up!!
If they introduce a Blu3, then maybe not. But if they don’t, then it probably will.

Jan 2, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #4,775 of 4,904
Why blu 2 if you have the mscaler?

some dealers already showing the blu2 out of stock. my avatar remains as a reminder of mscaler tech heritage!!

would a blu1+hms=blu2?

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #4,776 of 4,904
Why blu 2 if you have the mscaler?

some dealers already showing the blu2 out of stock. my avatar remains as a reminder of mscaler tech heritage!!

would a blu1+hms=blu2?
I have Dave plus M-Scaler for my headphone rig. I acquired a second (used) Dave and am getting a Blu2 for my speaker rig.

Jan 2, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #4,777 of 4,904
I have Dave plus M-Scaler for my headphone rig. I acquired a second (used) Dave and am getting a Blu2 for my speaker rig.

Ah, good man. Don’t worry, I know of other people with similar double Dave systems, one with Blu2 and one with MScaler.

By the way, I think you have incorrectly attributed the question to me when I think it was musickid who asked the question.

Jan 3, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #4,778 of 4,904

Sounds great (no pun intended)! I am always interested in other people’s speaker rigs with Chord dacs so if you’d like to share that’s appreciated. The reason why is, in my mind Chord dacs, with very low distortion, may mean that (similar as with headphones I guess), larger/ different speakers work very well. I had quite horrible bloated and one note bass which disappeared when I bought the original Hugo and better still with my Hugo 2, and when I changed amp to Benchmark AHB2 became somewhat better again...

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #4,779 of 4,904
Sounds great (no pun intended)! I am always interested in other people’s speaker rigs with Chord dacs so if you’d like to share that’s appreciated. The reason why is, in my mind Chord dacs, with very low distortion, may mean that (similar as with headphones I guess), larger/ different speakers work very well. I had quite horrible bloated and one note bass which disappeared when I bought the original Hugo and better still with my Hugo 2, and when I changed amp to Benchmark AHB2 became somewhat better again...
My speakers are AvantGarde Duo XDs, driven by an Airtight ATM300R amp. Currently I am using Dave/M-scaler with Roon Nucleus as a source. When the Blu2 arrives I will move the M-Scaler back onto the headphone rig. I absolutely love the sound of this system - rich and full, with an effortless soundstage.

Jan 3, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #4,780 of 4,904
My speakers are AvantGarde Duo XDs, driven by an Airtight ATM300R amp. Currently I am using Dave/M-scaler with Roon Nucleus as a source. When the Blu2 arrives I will move the M-Scaler back onto the headphone rig. I absolutely love the sound of this system - rich and full, with an effortless soundstage.

Love the speakers and the design, and yes very different to what I expected. Most likely these are possible to drive direct even from the Dave but i guess you have tried that. Need a bigger house and budget to think about that, guess i am back to the active ATC SCM40A as my next thing to try...

Jan 4, 2020 at 3:16 AM Post #4,781 of 4,904
With 107dB/W efficiency and XLR inputs for the bass, all you need is RCA-Spades speaker cables to bypass the Airtight's.
Unless of course if you prefer the "euphonic" tube sound.

Jan 4, 2020 at 4:22 AM Post #4,782 of 4,904
Love the speakers and the design, and yes very different to what I expected. Most likely these are possible to drive direct even from the Dave but i guess you have tried that. Need a bigger house and budget to think about that, guess i am back to the active ATC SCM40A as my next thing to try...

I anticipate that you will like the ATCs . . . . . have fun.

Jan 6, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #4,783 of 4,904
With 107dB/W efficiency and XLR inputs for the bass, all you need is RCA-Spades speaker cables to bypass the Airtight's.
Unless of course if you prefer the "euphonic" tube sound.
Indeed, with their very high efficiency Dave could easily drive them, but I have tried it yet. I do like the sound of the speakers with the Airtight. I will experiment with it one day.

By the way, I have also listened to my Abyss headphones on the Airtight amp, that is also a great combination.

Jan 27, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #4,784 of 4,904
I see that you have a Blu2. Having lived with Blu2 and an MScaler in two different systems since both of them first came out I admit to being very happy with my Blu2 just as it is and I purposely did not exchange it for an Mscaler despite the extra inputs/outputs and lesser price. Sure Blu2 only has usb input but for me that is no disadvantage at all. My Zenith SE with Roon is a single source for Qobuz, ripped files and radio and then I have the added advantage of the CD player which is very useful for when friends come round with their CDs. Yes I do have friends and yes they do have CDs. The extra features you list simply do not matter to me, especially pass through which I find, at best, to be superfluous. I am sure eventually there will be a next generation of Blu2 but I certainly wouldn’t sell my Blu2 just to get an MScaler in a choral box and especially if I lose the CD player function.

Blu2 has SP/DIF input also :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back