Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Dec 19, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #2,206 of 4,904
I am waiting as well, hopefully just the MScaler in a box, small as possible.
I will be on the ferrite trail as well if it gets released at CES this year.

We all wait but the way I see it the position is that Chord still have a longish wait list for Blu2. If they introduce a cheaper MScaler they will wipe out teh main demand for Blu2 which has got to be a good profit earner at the moment.

Also I have an impression that the MScaler component suppliers would not be able to meet a big increase in demand if a cheaper MScaler was launched. With that possible bottle neck in the supply of components Chord are maybe best to keep them for a high end low volume higher profit product such as the Blu2.

That's why I don't see a low cost MScaler just around the corner any time soon.

Happy to be proved wrong though.

Dec 19, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #2,207 of 4,904
The standalone M Scaler is on someone’s workbench right now I’d bet
Hmm, let's see what's more likely to be on the workbench: Power pulse array amplifier, Hugo TT 2,, 2Qute Too, Davina.

Now playing: Vashti Bunyan - Iris's Song for Us (Version Two)

Dec 19, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #2,208 of 4,904
We all wait but the way I see it the position is that Chord still have a longish wait list for Blu2. If they introduce a cheaper MScaler they will wipe out teh main demand for Blu2 which has got to be a good profit earner at the moment.

Also I have an impression that the MScaler component suppliers would not be able to meet a big increase in demand if a cheaper MScaler was launched. With that possible bottle neck in the supply of components Chord are maybe best to keep them for a high end low volume higher profit product such as the Blu2.

That's why I don't see a low cost MScaler just around the corner any time soon.

Happy to be proved wrong though.

Yes, agreed.

But I see a different scenario, more MScaler sales even more profit.

As I see it, if people are still waiting for Blu2 it will be a long time before Rob's hard work becomes rewarded and if the MScaler were to become more widespread it would bring more enjoyment. Although Chord are a business I like to think that they have passion for HiFi and bringing this product to us all would be in their remit.

I must say it is frustrating waiting but I have made my mind up, I simply do not need the CD.

Dec 19, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #2,209 of 4,904
I have been going back and forth between the Blu/Dave and the PS Audio DS Dac with Redcloud, it's really close, the Blu/Dave is more precise, but the PS DS has a very pleasing sound too, not as precise, but a lot fuller sounding, kinda like a analog record, but not murky like a record, full but clear and precise. The gap has closed, PS audio, in the past, was not in the same ball park with Chords dac, but they definitely made a break though and are on par with Chord and I suspect other high end dacs. I guess it comes down to how do you like a creators tuning, because they choose how their dac sounds and that comes down to preference, no? Even tho Chords Blu/Dave sounds more precise, I am preferring PS DS dacs tuning, I guess what I'm trying to say is, to my ears, I like the way PS Audio tuned their dac, through their software, which was free. I have several times wanted to sell this dac, I am so glad I was too lazy to list it, this dac is excellent now and I am going to keep it.
As always YMMV.

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2017...-cloud-ps-audio-updates-the-directstream-dac/

A quote from this article.

"My pal Mark and I downloaded the software at roughly the same time and began a furious back and forth on texts on what we were hearing and we pretty much agreed on everything. Better bass, better vocals, better soundstage, better guitars, etc. This was not just a Huron level step up; this was a step change. In my humble opinion, the sound I am hearing is matching the level of the very best from MSB, dCS, and Esoteric. Redcloud is now squarely in reference-category for digital. That makes the DS converter a huge value for the dollar."

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #2,210 of 4,904
For someone who concentrates on digital sources you sound an awful lot like a record that goes round and round. But, yes, I agree a stand alone MScaler will almost certainly come. Do you want a 50p bet on whether it will be cheaper or more expensive than a Blu2 though?

I think it is very possible that a stand alone M-scaler would cost about as much as the current Blu2.....on the subject of the PS audio Directstream I have to agree that it is quite good...different sounding but extremely good and i must say when dealing with digital which is constantly changing and evolving and being fine tuned to death having the option of upgrading the DAC is wonderful...I say this as one who loves the dave/blu2

Dec 19, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #2,211 of 4,904
With my new Blu2, I considered the CD transport a novelty, and an added cost for getting access to the mScaler earlier than I would otherwise.

In practice, I'm finding it invaluable in using the Blu2 as a reference for identifying and (starting to) addressing the issues elsewhere in my chain. I am stunned how much better CD playback is vs playback through my digital chain (this is 2-3x better stuff, not 3% better stuff). The CD transport is shining an incredibly bright light on where I need to be investing my time and energies. If I had purchased a standalone mScaler, I'd be over the moon delighted with the lift over my DAVE, but I would have had no idea that the additional multiples lift was available to me.

I hope to finish my write up on my Blu2 experiences this weekend, but I have been posting some initial impressions on the Hugo2 thread. Here is my in the moment reaction to the CD transport: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-629#post-13915510

As a "bits are bits" guy, an incredibly humbling experience.

Sorry, but if true, that would be a very good reason for not buying a Blu2. Though iirc other people in here say that cd and usb playback sound the same. And Rob doesn’t appear to walk around with a pile of cds, he has a hard drive, and he has recently said that he prefers a high res download to a redbook rip. Not sure why your Blu2 is so vulnerable to issues on its digital input - not impressed.

Dec 19, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #2,212 of 4,904
In practice, I'm finding it invaluable in using the Blu2 as a reference for identifying and (starting to) addressing the issues elsewhere in my chain. I am stunned how much better CD playback is vs playback through my digital chain (this is 2-3x better stuff, not 3% better stuff). The CD transport is shining an incredibly bright light on where I need to be investing my time and energies.
If you can hear a difference between CD and USB replay from Blu 2 to DAVE then I reckon you need more ferrites on your BNC cables. There's just a lot of RF noise from the USB input that's getting passed through to the BNC outputs.

Not only will that improve USB replay, but it will also improve CD. I think you might not have heard all of what Blu 2 can do yet.

You should be able to hear a difference when listening to CD replay depending on whether you have the USB cable plugged in to Blu 2. So with the USB cable removed, CD replay should improve. Again, that would be proof that you need more ferrites on the BNC cable.

Now playing: Laura Veirs - Black Gold Blues

Dec 19, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #2,213 of 4,904
All this messing about with ferrites is ridiculous. I hope and expect that the stand alone M Scaler comes with an optimum cable, and an output that does not create rf problems for DAVE, rather than leaving people who have invested a small fortune in both products to mess about with an unspecified number of unspecified ferrites.

Dec 19, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #2,214 of 4,904
If you can hear a difference between CD and USB replay from Blu 2 to DAVE then I reckon you need more ferrites on your BNC cables. There's just a lot of RF noise from the USB input that's getting passed through to the BNC outputs.

Not only will that improve USB replay, but it will also improve CD. I think you might not have heard all of what Blu 2 can do yet.

You should be able to hear a difference when listening to CD replay depending on whether you have the USB cable plugged in to Blu 2. So with the USB cable removed, CD replay should improve. Again, that would be proof that you need more ferrites on the BNC cable.

Thank you Jawed, this is very consistent with my experience (I had posted my initial reaction, before I started to play with ferrites and fiddling with USB side). I have my pile of Wurths and different cables and cable management schemes and I plan to be jumping into the BNC cable world later this week. I've been consistently surprised as the level of the Blu2 elevated, and am delighted to contemplate that there is more to be had with cable work.

That being said, the performance with the CD transport is what opened my eye (ears?) at how profound the elevation could be. I'm very encouraged by the prospect that there is another big step to be had. Awesome stuff!

Dec 19, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #2,215 of 4,904
All this messing about with ferrites is ridiculous. I hope and expect that the stand alone M Scaler comes with an optimum cable, and an output that does not create rf problems for DAVE, rather than leaving people who have invested a small fortune in both products to mess about with an unspecified number of unspecified ferrites.

I have just seen the price of the PS Audio DAC as it is being compared to DaveBlu and a lot cheaper and no ferrite or cable issues in the new year, I may give it a try.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #2,216 of 4,904

As I mentioned in the Hugo2 thread, a chord future that depends on dual BNC cables to move around 705/768kHz signals between multiple pieces of kit will need some serious thought for how civilians are going to manage the sensitivity to cable placement and management. Even in my very limited fidgeting (before getting to ferrites), modest things like cable placement (other cables/cords, etc) creates a huge amount of confusing variability in what I'm hearing. I've got some cable management hacks on order to try to tame those pieces while dealing with the ferrite learning curve.

On the plus side, all of this does create a market opportunity for early Blu2 owners to start companies making premium audiophile grade preassembled dual coax cables to manage the worst of the land mines (how else to afford a Davina and multiple digital amps when they're available?)

Dec 19, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #2,217 of 4,904
As I mentioned in the Hugo2 thread, a chord future that depends on dual BNC cables to move around 705/768kHz signals between multiple pieces of kit will need some serious thought for how civilians are going to manage the sensitivity to cable placement and management. Even in my very limited fidgeting (before getting to ferrites), modest things like cable placement (other cables/cords, etc) creates a huge amount of confusing variability in what I'm hearing. I've got some cable management hacks on order to try to tame those pieces while dealing with the ferrite learning curve.

On the plus side, all of this does create a market opportunity for early Blu2 owners to start companies making premium audiophile grade preassembled dual coax cables to manage the worst of the land mines (how else to afford a Davina and multiple digital amps when they're available?)
This problem really should have been delt with from the start, not only do you need ferrites, but a certain type of ferrite, sorry but I'm not a scientist, this cable should have come with the Blu, considering what we paid for it, IMO.

Dec 19, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #2,218 of 4,904
This problem really should have been delt with from the start, not only do you need ferrites, but a certain type of ferrite, sorry but I'm not a scientist, this cable should have come with the Blu, considering what we paid for it, IMO.

But on the other hand I freely admit that I was blown away with the amazing sound of the Bku2 Dave combination just with cheap bnc cables and well before ferrites were ever mentioned. I didn’t even get ANY free cables with Blu2 because mine was an early batch. Ok, now due to some tinkering I think the sound is improved with ferrites on the bnc cables but that is tinkering. Sure Blu2 is better with the tinkering but Blu2 Dave still sounds better than any other CD / DAC on the market even without ferrites. For instance none of the rave reviews in the Hi-Fi press have used ferrites yet in those reviews Blu2 Dave is still pronounced better than anything else available. By no stretch of the imagination can one therefore say that ferrites are essential.

I paid a huge amount of money for my amps and indeed for my speakers and they are both improved by a similar margin to the bnc ferrites if I use fancy cables but equally they sound good just with stock cables. That’s pretty similar to the bnc ferrites argument you are feeling entitled about. Sorry but the whole ‘entitled’ thing just winds me up. My amps don’t NEED the upgraded cables just in the same way that Bku2 doesn’t NEED ferrites.

Rant over.

Dec 19, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #2,219 of 4,904
But on the other hand I freely admit that I was blown away with the amazing sound of the Bku2 Dave combination just with cheap bnc cables and well before ferrites were ever mentioned. I didn’t even get ANY free cables with Blu2 because mine was an early batch. Ok, now due to some tinkering I think the sound is improved with ferrites on the bnc cables but that is tinkering. Sure Blu2 is better with the tinkering but Blu2 Dave still sounds better than any other CD / DAC on the market even without ferrites. For instance none of the rave reviews in the Hi-Fi press have used ferrites yet in those reviews Blu2 Dave is still pronounced better than anything else available. By no stretch of the imagination can one therefore say that ferrites are essential.

I paid a huge amount of money for my amps and indeed for my speakers and they are both improved by a similar margin to the bnc ferrites if I use fancy cables but equally they sound good just with stock cables. That’s pretty similar to the bnc ferrites argument you are feeling entitled about. Sorry but the whole ‘entitled’ thing just winds me up. My amps don’t NEED the upgraded cables just in the same way that Bku2 doesn’t NEED ferrites.

Rant over.
I don't feel entitled, it's just that Blu needs a band aid, to sound better, imo and others, including you. On weather Blu2 Dave sounding better then any cd dac on the market, that's subjective, as we all have opinion's (You sound like a fan boy-lol)

Dec 19, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #2,220 of 4,904
I don't feel entitled, it's just that Blu needs a band aid, to sound better, imo and others, including you. On weather Blu2 Dave sounding better then any cd dac on the market, that's subjective, as we all have opinion's (You sound like a fan boy-lol)

I don’t agree it is a band aid. Have you tried ferrites on the cable to other DACs without seeing any improvement?

Do you blame speaker manufacturers on not supplying better spikes when there is a market of isolation footers which provide better isolation? Same for equipment footers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back