Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced
Oct 4, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #811 of 1,746
This afternoon, and by mistake I have discovered something that let me completely out of words... I own the Chord 2Qute, and the Mojo. Owing a Chord 2Qute, the last thing you would do is to try to listen to music by YouTube. Well, I did (by a recommendation) and it automatically blow out my head! Assuming you are listening by one of Chord DACs, please listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6GJqvpRvwM

This is a vinyl circa 1988 (argentinean rock). How is it possible to ear such clarity and dynamics? (I own the lossless version...... and by any chance it can compare to this "youtube" vinyl reproduction.

I am serious, this is......... youtube, and it is increible more live than my not-streamed lossless version of the very same album.

Another example could be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3py-HvQ5XCE

.... I was wordless this afternoon when I listened to these albums by my 2Qute. No FLAC, or any other lossless format could match this SQ.

Question:

Have some of you experienced with ripping some of your vinyls to digital lossless format, and play them by one of Chord DACs? It would be very interesting to me to ear your experiences. I am seriously considering to buy one of those modern vinyl players.

I also would be interesed in listen @Rob Watts opinion on this.

Thanks,

Oct 4, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #812 of 1,746
@ Mark UX: Great sound. I even A/B the digital uploads that has half a million views and this one with 59 views sounds much better. I haven't had vinyl in 30 years don't plan to go back but I must say...... Youtube never sounded so good. Cheers.

Oct 8, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #814 of 1,746
Apologies if this has been discussed before. But I just got my 2qute and I'm very pleased. However the USB doesn't sound as good as the optical. Now on my previous dac (musical fidelity m1 dac) I had the same issue, however I thought this would be solved with the 2qute galvanic isolation. It's a shame as I want to have a go with dsd and also my optical only works up to 172khz and not the full 192; prob the cable or source I suspect. I digress... I'm using an old Mac mini 2007 with Windows. Arcam alpha 10 bi amps, everything is hanging off a 3000va balanced power.

I've tried using a linear psu for the 2qute and also a linear injecting power to the USB line too. Not much difference really.

Is there something I can do? From what I read it's most likely RF from the USB. Do any of these things work?
Audioquest jitterbug
Uptone regen
Hifime high speed USB isolator
Linear psu for the Mac mini

Maybe rob watts might lend me some advice?

Oct 8, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #815 of 1,746
  @ Mark UX

There is quite a bit of interesting music on YouTube, that sounds very good through a Mojo, and I suspect would sound even better with a 2Qute.

Have you visited the "Mojos greatest hits" thread, which contains plenty of suggestions/links provided by forum regulars?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/802832/mojos-greatest-hits#post_12450385

Thanks for this post. I have spend the last 3 days on Youtube. Wow, great sounding music with the 2Qute and the Vio V220. I will be in HK next week to pick up a Grado GS 2000e. Can't wait to hear it with Youtube music.

Oct 11, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #818 of 1,746
2qute from my point of view does not emphasize on its ability to decode, though it is a very good dac. What I mean is that 2qute attacks me because of it neutral balanced three frequencies. It is true hifi for me. I personally love this comfortable sound.

Oct 12, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #821 of 1,746
  The only problem I get is that I need to buy a BNC-RCA converter and I have no idea why it is designed like that. 

Then I presume that Chord do not include one in the box? 
rolleyes.gif

Technically I believe BNC is supposed to be a better connection but RCA is much more popular and a widely available cable option.

I would have had a 2Qute by now but the 3 volt output is just too much for my integrated amp even though it has a power amp direct option (which is no use in this case).

In addition the BNC coaxial socket also puts me off as it makes things more cumbersome with the RCA adapter and likely to topple over the 2Qute (from my experience with the Musical Fidelity V90 DAC) this combined with the added stiffness of a good coaxial cable. So it seems the 2 Qute may likely need some type of weight on top to stop it tipping over.  

The input switch at the back of the unit also seems a little user unfriendly.

I recently tested (for about 1 second) my ageing Arcam Black Box 2 DAC with its 0.8 volt output option and it was far too loud for normal use as an input into my integrated amps power amp direct option. (the Arcam also has a standard 2 volt output - the V90 has one standard 2 volt output)

I wonder if Chord could incorporate some sort of switch into their replacement model that would have both,  2 volt and 3 volt option (or even have one fixed 2 volt output) and thereby greatly increase their sales as I reckon their current model has put many people off from buying it including me. 

Oct 12, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #823 of 1,746
  Ah so thats why I have to turn my volume knob right down on my Arcam Alpha 10+10P. I was wondering that! Is it a problem as such then?

Perhaps your pre-amp can handle a fixed 3 volt input but if it did not you may hear what they call clipping or some form of distortion or maybe some harshness.

You can check the Arcam specs but if you are happy with the sound in your scenario then that is all that matters.
wink.gif

Oct 12, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #825 of 1,746
  I do experience some clipping I think at higher volumes... hmm. I wonder if anything can be done?

There you go! hopefully Chord and others can offer some suggestions for those people who may have this foreseeable problem.

I know that Chord mentioned a generic passive pre-amp but nothing specific, we all have got used to having remote controlled volume control, so what passive pre-amps are available (and with remote)?

The other option Chord mentioned was to use some form of generic digital volume control but again nothing specific.

The way I see it is that Chord have created this self made scenario and therefore could be more proactive in providing solutions to overcome their fixed 3 volt output design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back