Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced
Aug 17, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #526 of 1,746

Hi Rob,

As a computer geek I'm inclined to be one of the "bits are bits" thinkers but after your explanation some time ago about how USB can be "noisy" I had a mini Eureka moment 
bigsmile_face.gif
.  Suddenly I understood why different transports could have a perceivable difference in sound.  Your comment above confused me slightly so could you try to educate me some more? 
biggrin.gif

Your earlier point was the Toslink has no "noise" hence why it was a better sound than un-galvanically isolated USB.  I therefore understand that a galvanically isolated USB connection could now sound as good as Toslink but how can it be better? (I mean just outright sound quality rather than features btw).

Craig

PS I'm aware that Jitter can play a part in this complex world but also understand that this particular problem has been solved with all recent Chord masterpieces thanks to your clever engineering.

The SQ difference is very small but the benefit is that the USB is driven from the clock on the FPGA, so source jitter is not an issue. With Toslink, the data is asynchronous (from the FPGA point of view) so is processed via the DPLL (digital phase lock loop). 

Hope this explains, Rob

Aug 19, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #527 of 1,746
  The SQ difference is very small but the benefit is that the USB is driven from the clock on the FPGA, so source jitter is not an issue. With Toslink, the data is asynchronous (from the FPGA point of view) so is processed via the DPLL (digital phase lock loop). 

Hope this explains, Rob

Thanks Rob but your answer simply confirms that there's a lot of stuff I still don't understand ... at all 
blink.gif

What I don't understand is that there's a lot of "stuff" that can cause complications getting the digital information from source to the DAC chip but providing you have decent kit (of which any Chord product clearly is) the digital 1's and 0's will get there perfectly (*).  In my head this is similar to when I copy a zip file from one PC to another.  I expect it to arrive bit perfect because of some other "stuff" will take care of error correction etc.

So if the bits are there perfectly irrespective of the transport (usb, toslink, etc) and we are only discussing changes in sound from different transport cables (i.e. same device, same power source etc.) then what other factors can affect the analogue sound?  I can only think of these two (and the second I'm not totally convinced about)

1. "noise" transmitted over the wire (this was my Eureka moment from an earlier post of yours where you explained USB can be noisy and that carries through to the electronics within the Hugo affecting the analogue side of things)
  2. differences in digital processing of file types/formats taking place within the DAC that might actually be significant enough to effect the analogue circuitry (again, this is effectively another potential source of "noise" I presume)

Is the second point true in your experience and is it somewhere in that that explains why USB on the 2Qute is very slightly better than the toslink? EDIT: Or does Toslink contain some noise but owing to the galvanised USB it has less thus making it more to do with the first point?

Or is there a better way to explain this to me? 
bigsmile_face.gif
  Don't worry if not.  I suspect this is an issue that will rumble on for years and I (for one) will never understand.  Can't blame me for asking Rob Watts himself though just in case 
biggrin.gif

Cheers Rob!

Craig

(*) Before my Hugo I owned the Audiolab MDAC which had a great bit-perfect test facility built into the product.  The test took several minutes to complete and with this you could prove beyond any doubt that your setup was playing "bit perfect" to the DAC.  No matter which type of cable I used I could always pass the test (after getting the PC configured correctly of course).  Thought this was worth mentioning because this only convinced me further that the digital side of things has been solved so that can't be where any difference in sound originates

Aug 23, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #528 of 1,746
So has the consensus been reached that this is THE DAC to own in the $1500-$2000 price range? Does anyone know how it compares to the new $1250 Schiit Gungnir MB? 

Aug 23, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #530 of 1,746
I own the 2Qute and different DACs and I can say that actually jitter is not more a problem. Technology has reached the point where manufacturers know how to make a DAC jitter free (at least not audible).
Better to look at first the audio files quality (in what an MP3 world we live!), then the cables, the source, the network.

THE DAC under $2000 ? Not at all. There are very skilled engineers in this world, fortunate us.
One example: QAT RS3.

Aug 24, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #531 of 1,746
  So has the consensus been reached that this is THE DAC to own in the $1500-$2000 price range? Does anyone know how it compares to the new $1250 Schiit Gungnir MB? 

If there is a direct consensus of the 2Qute being the best under $2000.00 I don't know about it. What I can help with are some new (to me) review's. Some being customer feedback so look for the review button on those.

http://www.whathifi.com/chord/2qute/review

http://www.moon-audio.com/chord-2-qute-dac.html

http://www.cnet.com/news/for-the-serious-audiophile-the-chord-2qute-digital-converter/

http://www.audiot.co.uk/products/chord-electronics-2qute-dac-8433.aspx

I think it's a great dac and it would be hard to find something better around the cost. And what should be really great about it is that Chord will offer updates in the future?

What about it Rob, will future updates be taken into consideration for the 2Qute?

Aug 24, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #532 of 1,746
 ​
 ​

CanJam London
 ​
Date: Saturday 29th - Sunday 30th
 ​
Venue: Hotel Russell
Russell Square, London WC1
 ​
Nearest  Tube: Russell Square (Piccadilly-Line)
 ​
Chord Electronics is a proud Sponsor of the inaugural
CanJam-London Event
 ​
We will have the Chord Hugo, Chord Hugo-TT & Chord 2Qute on display with Headphones from Beyerdynamic, Grado Labs, Rhapsodio & Dita Audio
 ​
John Franks & Rob Watts will be in attendance along with the team from Chord Electronics.
 ​
 ​

Aug 24, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #533 of 1,746
Can anyone comment as to whether adding a Schiit Wyrd into the USB input side of the 2Qute would be helpful? 

Aug 30, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #537 of 1,746
What would be cool to try, if we could get 9.5 2Qute people to contribute $20 each and we could then agree to all test drive the REGEN for say 7 days and then pass on to the next person on the contributor/part owner list.  I would not want to have to do an LLC arrangement if we could all just agree to an honor based system.  Then at the end of the trial, if someone wants to buy it we agree to sell it at a discounted rate based on the order of response to the project.  Discount must take into consideration that it has been auditioned by 9 other people.  Or we agree to just sell it and split up the loot evenly.

The goal is that 9.5 people can audition the device with minimal outlay.

Probably too much hassle, but just thought I would throw it out there.

Aug 30, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #538 of 1,746
  What would be cool to try, if we could get 9.5 2Qute people to contribute $20 each and we could then agree to all test drive the REGEN for say 7 days and then pass on to the next person on the contributor/part owner list.  I would not want to have to do an LLC arrangement if we could all just agree to an honor based system.  Then at the end of the trial, if someone wants to buy it we agree to sell it at a discounted rate based on the order of response to the project.  Discount must take into consideration that it has been auditioned by 9 other people.  Or we agree to just sell it and split up the loot evenly.

The goal is that 9.5 people can audition the device with minimal outlay.

Probably too much hassle, but just thought I would throw it out there.

Sorry to disappoint but the conclusion of several Regen + 2Qute owners at ComputerAudiophile concludes the Regen does nothing to benefit. 

I wish you Regen people would go peddle your wears elsewhere. 

Aug 30, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #539 of 1,746
  Sorry to disappoint but the conclusion of several Regen + 2Qute owners at ComputerAudiophile concludes the Regen does nothing to benefit. 

Funny.  So the general consensus and "conclusion" of the masses is fact but I guess that is the purpose of forums.

And sorry to invalidate your conspiracy theory, but I have absolutely no affiliation with the "Regen people".

Aug 31, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #540 of 1,746

I am one of the ones who said I felt the Regen paired with the 2QUte provided no benefit.

The Regen did yield significant audio improvement with every other dac I tried ,especiallyconected to a computer. 

There was less improvement with a network streamer like the Auralic Aries.

Is it worth 160 bucks. Absolutely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back