Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced
Aug 2, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #511 of 1,746
  Indeed.On 2 Qute the galvanically isolated USB does sound slightly better than Toslink, but it is very small difference. 

Rob

Hi Rob,

As a computer geek I'm inclined to be one of the "bits are bits" thinkers but after your explanation some time ago about how USB can be "noisy" I had a mini Eureka moment 
bigsmile_face.gif
.  Suddenly I understood why different transports could have a perceivable difference in sound.  Your comment above confused me slightly so could you try to educate me some more? 
biggrin.gif

Your earlier point was the Toslink has no "noise" hence why it was a better sound than un-galvanically isolated USB.  I therefore understand that a galvanically isolated USB connection could now sound as good as Toslink but how can it be better? (I mean just outright sound quality rather than features btw).

Craig

PS I'm aware that Jitter can play a part in this complex world but also understand that this particular problem has been solved with all recent Chord masterpieces thanks to your clever engineering.

Aug 3, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #512 of 1,746
Today I replaced my cheap toslink with qed reference optical quartz cable and what a difference it makes. Bass is now much fuller but at the same time controlled. I hear more fine details in the high too. The mid got more forward and overall sound field got more forceful. This is all still in a smooth and natural music making without any harshness. So it seems that using a good optical with reduced jitter does make a difference for the 2qute.

Aug 9, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #517 of 1,746
Just had a session with 2Qute on my stereo system.
This thing is just marvelous.
2Qute, paired with entry-level RCA and USB cable, surpassed my NSD Excelsio with decent XLR and USB cable with immediate audible difference in soundstage, separation and layering.
Can't wait for my headphone amp to arrive to further enjoy the sound!

Aug 9, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #518 of 1,746

As a potential customer this makes me nervous.  What else is fragile?

Let me explain. My electrical outlet's are very tight and in a hard to reach area. I wiggled the adapter as I pulled and that's when it happened. Still, I think Chord should have had these built stronger. Maybe it was a fluke but I doubt it.

I certainly have ordered an extra. The cost is 50 US dollars. But that's a small price to pay for a dac this good. As far as any other fragile pieces I really couldn't say. The input selector could feel a little beefier but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Aug 11, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #519 of 1,746
I have managed to get the Squeezebox Touch with EDO working via a USB connection to the 2Qute. The first time I tried I got a spinning connecting to DAC, then a couldn't connect to DAC message. I updated to the latest EDO version and now it connects, reboots the SBT and works without hitch. I know someone was wanting confirmation of this.

Haven't compared quality of the two connection methods yet, although at first take they sound roughly the same.

Hello,

I too plan on using the 2qute with an edo usb enabled sbt.   I read
with interest that you had ordered a regen.  What if any impact
on sound quality has it had?  Has the bass which you originally
reported as weak improved with additional burn in time and/or
the addition of the regen.

thanks-

Aug 13, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #523 of 1,746
My apologies, if this has been answered before. I am thinking of getting the new Mac mini which has USB 3 connections. Should I expect a drop in sound quality, or no difference, vs USB 2 with my 2Qute?

Aug 14, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #525 of 1,746

Thank you for replying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back