Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced
May 26, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #436 of 1,746

JRiver seemed pretty easy. I just picked ASIO Chord Hugo 1.03 (ASIO)
and here is pretty well all the settings I needed. It goes white playing my DSD files.

Awesome good. That's one reason why I like Jriver and all of it's bell's and whistles. They have a good support forum as well. I don't know if they still do; but with the first install it ask's to search your computer for all different kinds of files. The first time I did it I had everything from bird whistles to windows sounds. Be sure and do not do this. Better to add your files manually.

So I doubt this is even necessary but I will post the link just in case. I have not tried these and it's really for a Hugo but I have been told they use the same drivers.

By the way, how does the 2Qute sound with dsd?? I have not broken down and bought any offered at the pay sites. It's just to expensive.

This is the link and since I have not tried any of the information given. I hope it doesn't lead anyone astray.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/chord-hugowhich-driver-20575/

May 26, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #437 of 1,746
  Awesome good. That's one reason why I like Jriver and all of it's bell's and whistles. They have a good support forum as well. I don't know if they still do; but with the first install it ask's to search your computer for all different kinds of files. The first time I did it I had everything from bird whistles to windows sounds. Be sure and do not do this. Better to add your files manually.

Good advice on not letting it scan for files and manually putting them in. :)

By the way, how does the 2Qute sound with dsd?? I have not broken down and bought any offered at the pay sites. It's just to expensive.

Sounds awesome with my DSD collection for the little I have heard. Mainly tried DSD as some were having a few problems here and wanted to see if it worked for me.
I lent the Dac to a mate and he loved the DSD side over redbook playback with the 2Qute.
I am just setting up my system so have not really given DSD a real play yet.
My system is so enjoyable with my Redbook playback. Loving the 2Qute. :)

May 26, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #438 of 1,746

Maybe you would have better luck with Jriver? I'm going to post a thread someone gave me a week ago about DSD and Jriver settings. This may help others as well; still,  I really hope you get it to work with Foobar. If not then maybe try Jriver?

Yes ,I did it But my system cant playing JRiv good:repeatedly stopping the music.Thanks

May 26, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #439 of 1,746

You might have to uninstall foobar and delete all the settings out of windows as something could be corrupted? Delete all the foobar folders where ever they are kept. Mine in Users > my username >appdata > roaming > foobar2000
Then reinstall and try again.

Rocky I do that  (uninstall foo ,delete all setting and all folders where ever.....)then install all and:

No sound and 2Q transparent  light.Its the same file previous
. to uninstall and deleate

But yes 2Q gave me good sound but only by 192 kHz.After 

AFTER RESTAR my pc my Foobar return to the same performance like the last picture: play DSD /? kbps? 192000 Hz / stereo,at least very good soun with 2Q in blue light 

Notice  I think maybe my DSD126 files are not good ,now I try to play  a DSD64 file (.dff)dowloaded from the same web site,and foobar dont read like another (sacd.iso)from aother web.

Rocky have you a link for download a .dff file

May 28, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #440 of 1,746
  Rocky I do that  (uninstall foo ,delete all setting and all folders where ever.....)then install all and:

No sound and 2Q transparent  light.Its the same file previous
. to uninstall and deleate

But yes 2Q gave me good sound but only by 192 kHz.After 

AFTER RESTAR my pc my Foobar return to the same performance like the last picture: play DSD /? kbps? 192000 Hz / stereo,at least very good soun with 2Q in blue light 

Notice  I think maybe my DSD126 files are not good ,now I try to play  a DSD64 file (.dff)dowloaded from the same web site,and foobar dont read like another (sacd.iso)from aother web.

Rocky have you a link for download a .dff file

Just download the file you were using above and it works in my Foobar. Dac lights up white.
So not sure why it is different for you.

Jun 7, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #442 of 1,746
  Is the 2Qute not susceptible to normal hi-fi equipment resonances? Is this why it comes without any type of feet or support? I put some Mapleshade blocks underneath. I'm wondering if it's even necessary?

In my experience of dealing with resonance it is the turn table, cd player and amplifiers that benefit most. It also depends on your hi-fi stand. Personally I've got a very solid wood stand and I've not found any discernible difference with vibrapods / cones under any of my gear (I was desperately wanting to!). I know people with glass shelves often tell a different story.

Jun 10, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #443 of 1,746
Been flipping through this thread looking for comments on the 2Qute's actual sound quality or comparatives with other DACs and have found very little other than a Chord dealer's rave comparison to another Chord product.

From the little that I've gathered here and elsewhere I'm under the impression that the 2Qute, like the Hugo, is a very detailed but on the thin side of neutral DAC. To me this translates into poor tonality. I'm getting the same drift with the Yggy.

My search for a new DAC continues...

Jun 10, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #444 of 1,746
  Been flipping through this thread looking for comments on the 2Qute's actual sound quality or comparatives with other DACs and have found very little other than a Chord dealer's rave comparison to another Chord product.

From the little that I've gathered here and elsewhere I'm under the impression that the 2Qute, like the Hugo, is a very detailed but on the thin side of neutral DAC. To me this translates into poor tonality. I'm getting the same drift with the Yggy.

My search for a new DAC continues...

Yup, not a lot of comparisons except to Hugo. Same boat!

Jun 10, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #447 of 1,746
Not that important I suppose as the Qute and the Hugo are cut from the same cloth.

I keep reading how fantastic the Hugo sounds but it always boils down to comments such as ''I'm hearing stuff I never heard before on (insert audiophile recording of your choice).

I also picked up a few comments from its detractors stating that it sounded thin or that it fell apart or got confused with certain recordings. But that could be caused by a number of factors other than the DAC.

Over the years I've seen FOTM DACs come and go and have I've learned to read between the lines and not jump for the add to cart button too fast.

In any case I really need to borrow one ASAP to form my own opinion. These endless technical discussions are of little or no use to me at this point.

Jun 10, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #448 of 1,746
Stuck on tone?

I'm listening to my 2Qute right now and I hear plenty of tone. You may find it not enough though. And my opinion is the 2Qute is very susceptible to a dirty power grid. I do most all of my listening at night and it sounds really good. I also agree with other's that the 2Qute (sorry that's the Hugo, but still ...) can do special things with certain recordings. Last night I was listening to Le Sacre du Printemps by Leonard Bernstein  & New York Philharmonic, one of my favorites and something happened that left me kind of stunned. The instruments were all over the place when suddenly the dynamic tempo stopped and went in a whole new direction. What was different about that was how fast it changed. If I didn't know better I would have thought there was a dropout. Except it was instantaneous. Fastest transients I have heard. I enjoyed the rest of the performance and heard other new things but none stuck out like that one. I'm having similar experiences with other recordings as well but most have been in the Classical Orchestra.

After spending time with it I'm feeling resolution and detail may be to different things which for me is a new level of performance. My Sabre dac with 9018 chip combined with the AP2 with pure power had gobs of detail. Texture and tone as well, but lacked the finesse of more expensive equipment. The 2Qute seems to let you hear more into the human side of the recording. Things like a breath, even what some refer to as a wet breath that travels the inside of a sax and exits as music. I can now hear an instrument such as a horn and how it resonates where before I heard what came out the end. How it can move closer to the mic and pull back just a little bit or sway's to the left or right. How can you put a price on that?

But, don't expect to hear this on every recording. If the mic didn't pick it up then it's just not there. I have a few guitar recordings where you can hear the pick on the strings. But not on all of them. Maybe not all times of the day either. There are a lot of variables and I sometimes pickup on something I have not heard before.

Is it recording dependent? You bet it is. Do some recordings sux and others don't. Yep. I hate that and wish they all did sound as good. I'm going through my music (hi-rez and Redbook) and culling what I don't like. And you can not expect the 2Qute or the Hugo to be awesome in everything they do. For that your just going to have to move up the chain. Oh, and there are other dac's that can help with that rich tone your looking for. Tubes. I would also think careful selection of cables could certainly help. Mine are all silver except for my Norne Draug 2 which is copper/litz. Probably the silver is maXgniXfyiXng (wrong word), passing on what I feel is some slight power grunge during the day. I suggest you get one to audition and see what you think. Give it a fair shot and come back here and let us know what you think. Maybe see if you can find the words to describe how it sounds. I'm telling you it's tough.

edit: Something else I think I'm hearing is how a studio recording is sometimes put together. Not all are as noticeable but here is what I heard. I began to notice that the performers vocals at mid stage pretty much always seem in focus. Now, I'm talking about the recording, not the talent. But anyway, sometimes the accompanying instruments, say there's one on the right and one at left could sound different to one another. I think it's in how they're recorded. Right now your probably thinking .. duh. This guy must of just fell off the tree cause he sure is a greenie. Can you believe that's really a word???
confused_face.gif

My example is a piano on the right stage is near crystal clear, each key strike is in sharp focus and detailed. But at the left is a cello, I can hear the strings, the deep sound of the instrument but some thing is slightly wrong and off about it. You could call it dull, lacking tone maybe, or maybe it's been poorly mic'd or something. It just doesn't seem to belong with the sharp contrast of the piano.

I have heard this with other recordings also. One instrument sounds realistic while another is not fully in focus (or that's what I'm calling it). I need to listen more attentively to my left channel to see if I have a problem. But, I don't think so. I think the 2Qute is revealing what is there. The good news' is that a great recording sounds fantastic. Oddly my Sabre dac play's on through the poor recording but doesn't sound noticeable. It's also not as resolved and lacks the the 2Qute's finesse. Especially with the really great recordings where the 2Qute can leave you in total surprise. That's happened to me a lot. It has also made my Redbook listenable again. DSD is as good or better than the best recordings I have - but, ... A turkey is still a turkey after you dress him up. My feeling is that the 2Qute is worth it.

Oh, and the recording of the piano and cello...  suddenly the piano quit and left me with the cello playing. 30 seconds or so, I left also. You may have these moments as well. These are my impressions and observations with my setup. Please don't hold them against me if you hear something different. Instead come here and tell us yours.

Jun 11, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #449 of 1,746
Thanks for your impressions. Based on those comments it does seem a bit quirky but intriguing nevertheless. The dirty power issue could prove problematic for me.

I'll try and get out for a listen and maybe take one home today.

Jun 13, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #450 of 1,746
The Hugo and 2qute are quite different from many other DACs you may have heard because they are based on very different technology.

They go back to basics of what it takes to render a digital sampled signal properly and are very accurate. I think they do expose recordings, but still maintain the musicality in them.

But most impressive to me is how they handle transients. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back