Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced
Apr 13, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #151 of 1,746
Does anyone know if the included power adapter will take 110-240V so that I could power the 2Qute DAC internationally while traveling?

Apr 13, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #153 of 1,746
^Thanks Rob
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #154 of 1,746
Well, I'm fine with my preorder wasn't in the first batch.  Don't know why the store told me it wasn't launched yet.  
I'll wait for my preorder and hope it doesn't take a month for them to ship.

How early did you guys preorder for getting 2Qute in first batch?

Apr 14, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #155 of 1,746
  Unlike Hugo, 2 Qute does draw power from the USB - this is because of the galvanic isolation - the USB chip is powered from the USB 5v, then the data is galvanic isolated from 2 Qute. The galvanic isolation gives quite a big improvement in SQ when using PC's or laptops as a source.

Hi Rob, I picked up a 2Qute a week ago and quite frankly I'm bowled over by it. So much so, it'll be replacing one of Salisbury's finest streamer/Dac's. I can't wait to audition the QDP76 replacement!

I've a couple of interesting observations I'd really appreciate your thoughts on.

Feeding 2Qute via USB from a battery powered MacBook Pro, PCM Red Book recordings are simply stunning, better than via the Mac's optical.

I then compared the same files fed via USB from an Innuos Wave (A SolidRun CuBox based streamer) powered by its wall wart. SQ was bright, grainy, bass muddy and distortion present on higher frequency strings.

I then powered the Wave from the MacBooks USB3 port. Much better, but slightly bright. Not nailed on like USB from the MacBook.

Innuos advocate a linear PSU as RF from 5v USB or wall wart power will be carried from the Wave to the DAC via the USB ground line. I've ordered a Teddy Pardo PSU to see if that cures it. (14 day sale or return) I'm curious to hear if you have any thoughts on why the SQ is being so adversely affected by the Wave's power supply given Galvanic isolation in the DAC?  

Many Thx 

Apr 14, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #156 of 1,746
Hi all.

Just a little update, since I have had the 2qute for just over two weeks. (seems I was very lucky to get one of the first ones since the store I got it from is out and says they hope to get some at the end of next week). For general info, I ordered on the 3rd of March.
As to the sound, I haven't done much "critical" listening, but have heard enough to make some comments. I tried to listen and enjoy the system, and did not make an effort to distinguish between redbook, highres and DSD, so most of what I heard was redbook quality.
The first thing I listened to(don't remember what it was) when I hooked it up gave me the impression it was a tad bright. This was not the case on the second song (in fact later, when my wife first heard it she thought it lacked treble, but it just happened to be the first recording she heard). It soon became clear that this dac clearly shows the character of the recording. The size of the soundstage varies A LOT, some recording are brighter some are a bit dull, some are ballanced, some are fleshy, some are thing. I generally find the sound quite liquid and with very nice drive and dynamics, PRaT. Also, most recording I know have also shown some new sound that surprises me.
Compared to what I had before (mainly Yulong da8  sabres, Moon 100d) this dac has nicer dynamics than all three, more controlled base than the DA8(with more distinguishable textures), more base than the 100d, the "air" of the 100d with some extra flesh (if it is in the recording).
Just to clarify, despite some of the adjectives not beeing the most positive, I do think this is a great DAC, and a big step up from my previous dacs. I appreciate the fact that I hear large differences between recordings, and it is nice to hear these, and the different acoustic aesthetics. Despite the great transparency and detail, I find most recordings sound very enjoyable, even 80s-90s masters in all genres.

This is of course the most expensive dac I have owned, so I cannot compare it with others of the same price.
Also, I have always heard well marked (non subtle) differences between the dacs I have tested in my system (arcam rdac, simaudio 100d, Asus Muses, Concero HD, Yulong DA8, and while I was wainting for the 2qute, the ifi nano iDSD and Oppo 103 which were crap in my system, although I like the ifi with my Kef headphones).

My system is a speaker system with Oppo 103 (for video with optical) or small arm base linux box(wandboard running voyage MPD ) from USB, to the 2qute, to Jungson Hedo 200w integrated to Totem Forest speakers (totem interconnects and speaker cables). No headphones, sorry.
All kinds of music and recording qualities.

cheers,
dgently

Apr 14, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #157 of 1,746
Just want to thank everyone so far for feedback on the 2Qute - keep it coming!!
Also thanks to Rob for all of the information he provides. It is invaluable, enlightening and clears up much forum conjecture.

I also missed the first 2Qute allocation.  I might have also missed out on the second batch as I am after a black unit, and they seem to be more popular than the silver units in my part of the world.

Apr 15, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #158 of 1,746

Hi Rob, I picked up a 2Qute a week ago and quite frankly I'm bowled over by it. So much so, it'll be replacing one of Salisbury's finest streamer/Dac's. I can't wait to audition the QDP76 replacement!

I've a couple of interesting observations I'd really appreciate your thoughts on.

Feeding 2Qute via USB from a battery powered MacBook Pro, PCM Red Book recordings are simply stunning, better than via the Mac's optical.

I then compared the same files fed via USB from an Innuos Wave (A SolidRun CuBox based streamer) powered by its wall wart. SQ was bright, grainy, bass muddy and distortion present on higher frequency strings.

I then powered the Wave from the MacBooks USB3 port. Much better, but slightly bright. Not nailed on like USB from the MacBook.

Innuos advocate a linear PSU as RF from 5v USB or wall wart power will be carried from the Wave to the DAC via the USB ground line. I've ordered a Teddy Pardo PSU to see if that cures it. (14 day sale or return) I'm curious to hear if you have any thoughts on why the SQ is being so adversely affected by the Wave's power supply given Galvanic isolation in the DAC?  

Many Thx 

That's a little odd - my experience so far with 2 Qute is that the source, so long as it is bit perfect, no longer makes a difference to the SQ due to the galvanic isolation. That said, I still have some more SQ tests to do.

What could be happening is RF noise is upsetting the rest of the system - the power amp in particular. In the 80's, my audio was very sensitive, the SQ would vary with time (the system would sound stunning at 2AM), and with things going on in the rest of the house. This was before I discovered RF noise as being very important. After making this discovery, I RF filtered the electronics, and changed my analogue design so that the amps were less sensitive to RF noise. After doing this, the SQ became very much more stable, and if RF sources were on in the room, it would no longer affect SQ.

So perhaps the changes you are hearing is nothing to do with 2 Qute, but RF noise locally generated upsetting the power amp.

Anyhow, I am very pleased you are bowled over by 2 Qute!

Rob

Apr 15, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #159 of 1,746
Hello Mr Watts

I ordered a hugo and will be getting it soon.

I thought about the 2qute but it has a 3.0 volume output which doesn't really suit my Naim 202 preamp, the volume control is already limited with digital 2.0 sources. It is ok with Vinyl.

I plan to use it with a Squeezebox touch via USB (through the EDO software on SBT). I think the USB input on the hugo is asynchonous?

Is the 2qute galvanic isolation something I would be missing in the Hugo? How big or small a difference does galvanic isolation make?

Thanks

Apr 15, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #160 of 1,746
Yes Hugo HD USB is asynchronous, the timing comes from Hugo.

Galvanic isolation depends upon the noise level of the source. So mobile phones have low RF noise, and sound better than PC's which are very noisy, so the benefits of galvanic isolation does depend quite a bit on the source. With PC's, you get smoother SQ, with much better perception of sound stage depth. I have not tried it with Squeezebox touch.

If you use 44.1 or 48k, then use the Olimex isolator on the SD USB input, as this works really well.

Rob

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #162 of 1,746
Rob: 
  Hello Mr Watts

I ordered a hugo and will be getting it soon.

I thought about the 2qute but it has a 3.0 volume output which doesn't really suit my Naim 202 preamp, the volume control is already limited with digital 2.0 sources. It is ok with Vinyl.

I plan to use it with a Squeezebox touch via USB (through the EDO software on SBT). I think the USB input on the hugo is asynchonous?

Is the 2qute galvanic isolation something I would be missing in the Hugo? How big or small a difference does galvanic isolation make?

Thanks

So are we saying that the 2Qute should NOT be paired with something like a NAIM SuperNait2 (RCA-DIN interconnect)? Rob, can you comment?

Apr 16, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #163 of 1,746
Currently trialling the 2qute after seeing it at one of the launches. The sleek black look is excellent. Finish is beautiful (but what is with that button!?). First day: compared to the Auralic Vega the initial sound impression is that it is slightly smoother. I'm also picking up greater detail at the extreme ends of the sound stage (not sure it sounds much wider yet).

At this stage there is one reason I will probably send it back
. It doesn't remember the input source and defaults back to usb when it loses power (I use optical). For a system that I'm trying to simplify, this won't work for my family members. Can this be fixed in any way?

Apr 16, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #164 of 1,746
Currently trialling the 2qute after seeing it at one of the launches. The sleek black look is excellent. Finish is beautiful (but what is with that button!?). First day: compared to the Auralic Vega the initial sound impression is that it is slightly smoother. I'm also picking up greater detail at the extreme ends of the sound stage (not sure it sounds much wider yet).

At this stage there is one reason I will probably send it back. It doesn't remember the input source and defaults back to usb when it loses power (I use optical). For a system that I'm trying to simplify, this won't work for my family members. Can this be fixed in any way?

Don't turn it off - I leave mine on all the time.

Apr 16, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #165 of 1,746
Don't turn it off - I leave mine on all the time.

I see that option. At the moment I prefer having it plugged into the same board as my amps that are switched off until required. I also tend to unplug the whole system when going away and in big thunder storms. We will have a power out occasionally. Call me lazy, but I want to press one button on the remote and hear music. I want my wife /son /parents baby sitting to do the same because I want it enjoyed and also don't want them fiddling (a input button on the front might have been different but this is awkward).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back