Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced
Apr 3, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #106 of 1,746
  OK, some initial results

Listening to 2Qute right now over USB into my Almarro monoblocks. The source is a raspberry pi 2 running Volumio (Highly recommended - they sound great and, as the 2Qute doesn't draw any power from the USB, well up to the task).

...and the results are excellent. I'm going to stick my neck out and say, yes, ever so slightly better than the Hugo.

There is more control all around (even using the wal-mart power supply) with the real bottom-end bass slightly extended and better sounding.

So apart from the awful switch (sorry Mr Watts), and the black finish on the top - which might be cleanable, I am very happy.

So far, and I can't imagine why this would change, it sounds really awesome.

Above and beyond sound quality the cable arrangement is far better for a home system.

So does the black finish on yours not look like the pics in the link RubyTiger provided?

Apr 3, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #107 of 1,746
... WRT the switch - it is not like the one on the Hugo (from my point of view) - it seems to stick out more and wobbles like a loose tooth. However as I am probably never going to touch it, this is not such a big issue.

On mine, the button sticks out, but doesn't really wobble much. Feels like the buttons on a computer keyboard when you remove the caps. Seems sturdy enough to me, and I have to use it to go between my sources. Maybe there is something wrong with yours?

Apr 3, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #109 of 1,746
If anyone is able to offer Hegel HD12 vs. 2Qute commentary that would be great. Thanks.

Apr 4, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #113 of 1,746
As a Chord Qute EX owner who has never heard a Hugo, what sound quality differences can I expect between the EX and the 2qute? Has anyone gone from EX to 2qute, and what are your impressions?

Apr 5, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #114 of 1,746
If anyone is able to offer Hegel HD12 vs. 2Qute commentary that would be great. Thanks.
i home demo the hegel hd12 a few weeks ago against my chord hugo.now the hegel hd12 has alot going for it for £900,2 optical output,coaxial output,balance output.plus a remote control.i use the hugo for a dac only as it goes in 2 my hdvd800 amp 2 my hd800s,everything i listen 2 is red book cd,so i tested the hegel the same way.now I'm not gonna go into alot of detail about the sound but 4 sound quality the hugo in my opinion sounded alot better,more real,better sound stage.on the features front hegel hd12 wins by a mile.

Apr 5, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #116 of 1,746
  Yes 2 Qute does indeed sound very much like Hugo - indeed, with using HD USB and a PC it actually sounds better due to the galvanic isolation where it sounds smoother and with better sound stage depth. I would be using it in my office set-up, except I am now using a certain prototype of a new DAC due to be shown in May at Munich....

The downside is not having a volume control, so you can only use it as a DAC. If you need to replace your pre-amp too then try out Hugo TT which is currently in production. I have been testing the production version over the WE, and TT is a substantial step up from Hugo - it measures better (its distortion and noise is 4dB lower than Hugo at 3V RMS), and sounds better, plus also has the galvanic isolation on the USB.

Rob

Hi Rob.Well  ...so I must wait that another new DAC (May,Munich)...I suppose desktop,withXLR ,"new better"chip to DSD direct and DoP....and better sound than Hugo TT...

Apr 8, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #120 of 1,746

Any comments on DSD playback??

+1
I understand that DSD is the 2Qute's most compromised aspect. But surely it is still a step up from the DSD performance of the Qute EX?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back