Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced
Jan 7, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #1,472 of 1,746
I have copied and pasted some stuff from 2 previous posts of mine

Just to mention the alternative to a new upgraded psu, you could also use a good 12 volt car battery as a cheaper alternative and which may even be better.

I have had some PM's with others on this thread and they reckon a psu upgrade improves the SQ on the 2 Qute.

I have recently (14 months ago now) got a car battery for my Musical fidelity V90 DAC and I reckon that it improve the SQ.

I always check the voltage and polarity of any new psu before using it.

If anyone is using a 12v battery, make sure your DAC is switched off while charging the battery as the charging voltage is usually higher than the normal voltage ( may be up to 14v) and therefore may damage your DAC

The only thing putting me off the 2Qute is the fixed 3 volt output which may be too much for my integrated amp.

Jan 7, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #1,473 of 1,746
I have copied and pasted some stuff from 2 previous posts of mine

Just to mention the alternative to a new upgraded psu, you could also use a good 12 volt car battery as a cheaper alternative and which may even be better.

I have had some PM's with others on this thread and they reckon a psu upgrade improves the SQ on the 2 Qute.

I have recently (14 months ago now) got a car battery for my Musical fidelity V90 DAC and I reckon that it improve the SQ.

I always check the voltage and polarity of any new psu before using it.

If anyone is using a 12v battery, make sure your DAC is switched off while charging the battery as the charging voltage is usually higher than the normal voltage ( may be up to 14v) and therefore may damage your DAC

The only thing putting me off the 2Qute is the fixed 3 volt output which may be too much for my integrated amp.
Since i don't have the electronic skills that you have, not being able to test polarity etc. what do you think
of the teradak battery i posted?

Jan 8, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #1,474 of 1,746
Since i don't have the electronic skills that you have, not being able to test polarity etc. what do you think
of the teradak battery i posted?

It would be a bad idea for me to comment on an item that I know nothing about.

It might have a benefit to the sound but it might not, it might be safe but it might not..................

Another option for you is to investigate a mains filtering device (with multiple socket outlets) that could benefit your other electronic equipment - like your amp, etc.

So you could plug your existing power supply (wall wart) that comes with your 2Qute and plug it into the mains filtering device.

I use the Weiduka ac8.8 but it does not appear to meet the electrical safety standards in the UK as it does not have the child friendly anti-tamper mechanism that is standard in sockets in the UK and Ireland.

Another option is for you to use some Snap on Ferrite Core Bead Choke Rings that fit onto power cords/cables and are supposed to be RFI EMI Noise Suppressor Filters, they come in various Diameters.

Jan 8, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #1,475 of 1,746
Just noticed moon-audio has HugoTT $800 off...

Nothing on 2Qute

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #1,476 of 1,746
Just noticed moon-audio has HugoTT $800 off...

Nothing on 2Qute

It's been at $3,995 for a long time now, so I don't think of it as $800 off. Also, it has always been £2,995 (a little over $4,000 USD) in the UK. It's just the US that has these elevated prices.

The 2Qute was originally $1,795 in the US (but £995 in the UK) and is currently $1,345. You could think of it as $450 off in the same way, except not really because this is only the original US price being significantly higher than in the UK. The US price did increase a bit since I bought it from Moon Audio in April 2017 for $1,295.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #1,477 of 1,746
It's been at $3,995 for a long time now, so I don't think of it as $800 off. Also, it has always been £2,995 (a little over $4,000 USD) in the UK. It's just the US that has these elevated prices.

The 2Qute price actually increased (from $1,295 to $1,345) since I bought it from Moon Audio in May 2017. (At least it's not the $1,795 it was originally.)

I hope that price increase is related to decline of the dollar...

Ironically, watching a video interview with Rob Watts who CES 2016 said next big product is an A/V DAC.... :triportsad:

24 hours to go till announcement

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #1,478 of 1,746
I hope that price increase is related to decline of the dollar...

I edited my post, so check it again.

Some of the US prices used to be higher because the US distributor made that decision. The UK prices have stayed the same. Now the US prices are closer to the UK prices.

I believe the reason for the reduction in US prices (roughly matched to the UK, unlike before) is due to an agreement between the US distributor and Chord themselves.

£995 is about $1,350 USD, so the prices are about the same in both places now for the 2Qute as well.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #1,481 of 1,746
M scaler input capability is the headline feature, IMO. NICE!

Jan 9, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #1,482 of 1,746
The signs were there when dealers started dumping 2qutes for £735 ish on ebay - these are still great buys IMO if you don't want latest and greatest.

What we need now (next year?) is a digital player with integrated Mscaler and I will have reached my end-game setup.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #1,483 of 1,746
Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #1,484 of 1,746
Found another article WHOOO HOOOO! Sign me up!

Jan 9, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #1,485 of 1,746
Doesn’t look like there’s a volume control .. wonder what the output level is?
The signs were there when dealers started dumping 2qutes for £735 ish on ebay - these are still great buys IMO if you don't want latest and greatest.

What we need now (next year?) is a digital player with integrated Mscaler and I will have reached my end-game setup.

This and the Hugo2 have M Scaler inputs - there has to be a straight M Scaler in the works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back