Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced
Apr 30, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #301 of 1,746
  Does anyone know if the 2Qute requires the USB 5V line, for USB connections?

Yes, it does.  From Rob, earlier in the thread:
"Unlike Hugo, 2 Qute does draw power from the USB - this is because of the galvanic isolation - the USB chip is powered from the USB 5v, then the data is galvanic isolated from 2 Qute. The galvanic isolation gives quite a big improvement in SQ when using PC's or laptops as a source.   We can't isolate Hugo, as the technique draws power from the USB, so in portable applications the mobile would go flat too quickly."

Apr 30, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #302 of 1,746
Hmmmm ...  A $579.00 dac vs a $1795.00 dac. I wonder?

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. If it sound's like I was being a smart%^&*#**, I assure you I was only kidding.

You asked a valid question. The Hugo is an extraordinary dac/amp at it's price and the 2Qute is the Hugo with minor differences.

If it would fit in your finances then I would go for the 2Qute. I would think the real question will be the 2Qute vs Yggdrasil.  

As far as differences in sound signature couldn't tell you because I don't have one!!! Argh  ....... Chord get the lead out!!

I could be wrong (What do I know?) but the 2Qute will smoke the Uber. There may be others who could chime in here but I suspect it will be the same answer.

I guess you can go the other way too. You ever looked at the Lampi .Amber for an extra couple hundred you are getting a word class dac., not something that is cute.

Apr 30, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #303 of 1,746
I guess you can go the other way too. You ever looked at the Lampi .Amber for an extra couple hundred you are getting a word class dac., not something that is cute.

A "world" class DIY DAC? 
beerchug.gif

May 1, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #304 of 1,746

Lampizator products are new to me. I do have an S.ET. amp ordered so tubes will be a part of my new system. The 2Qute budgeted in quite nicely and I expect it's performance will be good. I should have it next week so hopefully I can give some feedback with my HD800s.

May 1, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #307 of 1,746
You mean these? Heheheh

OK now I have Lampizzle envy.

Re. 2Qute USB - has any one tried any of the USB filters with it? Any improvement? Especially the new Regen filter/regenerator? Anyone?

May 3, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #312 of 1,746
I totally see your point. 

However system synergy is extremely important to the chain of events. For example I personally couldn't listen to a dragon fly v1.2 as to my ears its not musical in any way or form however it has gobs of fatiguing hyper detail with a solid state sound.

I've been informed to purchase a Chord dac but never pulled the trigger (yet).

With a tube amplifier you can at least roll tubes $$$$$ to get the sound your after if you feed it a hyper detailed source. However to find the right mix of not rolling off the lows and high while retaining detail is another topic. Every solid state dac sort of has a predetermined "soundstage" size built into the circuitry. This is somewhat a fixed "soundstage".

With tubes its all about how you roll your tubes for your sound your after. If the dac your using is analytical and cold you still may struggle to get the organic sound your after.

evil hobby........ :)

I have a Hugo playing into a Fatman202 Class A tube amp into Speakers, with GEC KT88 or black plate Tung Sol 6550s - unbelievably good.

The detail the Hugo retrieves, it's musicality etc........... Just pull that trigger. You won't regret it.

The only decision you have to make is do you need portability or not.

May 4, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #313 of 1,746
I have a Hugo playing into a Fatman202 Class A tube amp into Speakers, with GEC KT88 or black plate Tung Sol 6550s - unbelievably good.

The detail the Hugo retrieves, it's musicality etc........... Just pull that trigger. You won't regret it.

The only decision you have to make is do you need portability or not.

On Headfi there's the battle of similar priced dacs. Schiit "Yggy" and chord.  

I'm sitting back enjoying the slow incoming reviews on both products.

At the present moment I'm the opposite of your setup. I have a Space Tech Labs tube dac and Simaudio integrated amp. My tube dac for the buffer stage uses big power tubes that outperform most small buffer stages found on many tube dacs. I currently use tung Sol kt66 or 6L6G or 6550  tubes for my buffer stage (I can go much larger than kt88 too). Currently my dac is undergoing a modification to take 60yrs old NOS Mullard EL32 tubes for the buffer stage that outperforms the large power tubes I use currently. I just auditioned a dac with that modification and my jaws dropped. My system currently sounds like I'm running a large tube amplifier since my source is adding all the tube goodness with harmonics/overtones and my solid state amp is just simply amplifying the source. 

I'll be swapping my baby tiny 6x5gt rectifier with completely separate unit "super rectifier"  that uses 2x 300B or larger tubes (Massive improvements in dac performance). The use of 2x 300B tubes for the rectifier section alone is absolutely insane!!   At the end of of it my dac will be about $3000. 

With my mods now I dont even think I can even go to a solid state dac now but I'm still not ruling it out either. 

May 4, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #314 of 1,746
  On Headfi there's the battle of similar priced dacs. Schiit "Yggy" and chord.  

I'm sitting back enjoying the slow incoming reviews on both products.

At the present moment I'm the opposite of your setup. I have a Space Tech Labs tube dac and Simaudio integrated amp. My tube dac for the buffer stage uses big power tubes that outperform most small buffer stages found on many tube dacs. I currently use tung Sol kt66 or 6L6G or 6550  tubes for my buffer stage (I can go much larger than kt88 too). Currently my dac is undergoing a modification to take 60yrs old NOS Mullard EL32 tubes for the buffer stage that outperforms the large power tubes I use currently. I just auditioned a dac with that modification and my jaws dropped. My system currently sounds like I'm running a large tube amplifier since my source is adding all the tube goodness with harmonics/overtones and my solid state amp is just simply amplifying the source. 

I'll be swapping my baby tiny 6x5gt rectifier with completely separate unit "super rectifier"  that uses 2x 300B or larger tubes (Massive improvements in dac performance). The use of 2x 300B tubes for the rectifier section alone is absolutely insane!!   At the end of of it my dac will be about $3000. 

With my mods now I dont even think I can even go to a solid state dac now but I'm still not ruling it out either. 

...and what exactly does all this have to do with the 2Qute?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back