Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
May 4, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #17,776 of 18,773
1. Yes. I have been using a 2Go for a few years but was put off of Poly because of poor reviews but when Mojo2 came out I got a Poly and it works the same as 2Go for me.
2. Yes.
3. GoFigure? I very rarely use it, BubbleUPNP is what I use to stream and MAFA for MPD. These two work perfectly.
4. I guess so yes, but I've only owned a Poly for the last six months.
Have you tested the ”FFmpeg” features in BubbleUPnP for streaming or to play a flac file from the SDCard in Poly?

1683186956112.jpeg

Last edited:
May 4, 2023 at 6:24 AM Post #17,778 of 18,773
I was also trying to see if I could stream music from Poly to my car over bluetooth, but I had no luck. Poly connected to the cars entertainment system OK over bluetooth, and I could connect to poly over bluetooth, but I couldn't figure out how to connect to poly from my phone to tell it to stream to the car.

Poly couldn't see my iphone's hotspot and the MPD player couldn't see Poly over bluetooth...

May 4, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #17,779 of 18,773
I was also trying to see if I could stream music from Poly to my car over bluetooth, but I had no luck. Poly connected to the cars entertainment system OK over bluetooth, and I could connect to poly over bluetooth, but I couldn't figure out how to connect to poly from my phone to tell it to stream to the car.
The Bluetooth of the Poly works only as a receiver and not as a transmitter, therefore it is not possible to transmit music from the Poly to your car or any other device over bluetooth.

Poly couldn't see my iphone's hotspot and the MPD player couldn't see Poly over bluetooth..
Did you set Poly to wifi mode? if yes it must see the hotspot of your iPhone and it must connect, however you cannot make the MPD protocol work via Bluetooth as you would like but only via wifi.

May 4, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #17,780 of 18,773
The Bluetooth of the Poly works only as a receiver and not as a transmitter, therefore it is not possible to transmit music from the Poly to your car or any other device over bluetooth.

Did you set Poly to wifi mode? if yes it must see the hotspot of your iPhone and it must connect, however you cannot make the MPD protocol work via Bluetooth as you would like but only via wifi.
Can’t you do something like this guy does in the video in his car.

May 7, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #17,783 of 18,773
Have you tested the ”FFmpeg” features in BubbleUPnP for streaming or to play a flac file from the SDCard in Poly?

No I haven't yet, the main reason being that the audio data is send over Wifi and back again which seems a bit "iffy", but I will give it a try today, I don't expect to hear any difference but I do expect more battery drain on both the phone and Poly.

Edit:
I have tried this and it does sound very good. I set FFmpeg to the insane decoding quality or whatever it called and it works well.

I won't compare to the quality playing FLAC directly from the SD card as I doubt I would be able to detect a difference and I'm not doing bu**crap comparisons anymore. I will leave that to others on here. :wink:

Last edited:
May 8, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #17,784 of 18,773
Out of curiosity, why is a Poly 2 needed?

And wouldn't it make sense to release a Poly 2 when the Mojo 3 came out, so that they can interface with USB-C?
The tech features of the Poly were probably locked in around 2015/2016.

My main use case - wireless streaming from phone, often offline when commuting. A better version of any of perhaps twenty alternative devices which can act as USB DAC or stream via BT for convenience where some quality can be sacrificed for convenience.

I was wondering whether to get a Mojo + Poly.

Lack of the modern improved BT Codecs however is a deal breaker. None of AAC, SSC, aptX, aptX-HD, aptX-Adaptive, aptX-lossless, LDAC.

If a Poly 2 had:
* USB-C quick charging
* Wireless charging
* Better BT codecs

I would have bought one, and I'm sure many sales have been lost for the same reason. Chord likes to go their own eccentric way, and fair play to them, but some people are just looking for a better/premium version of what the competition is doing.

May 9, 2023 at 1:56 AM Post #17,785 of 18,773
No I haven't yet, the main reason being that the audio data is send over Wifi and back again which seems a bit "iffy", but I will give it a try today, I don't expect to hear any difference but I do expect more battery drain on both the phone and Poly.

Edit:
I have tried this and it does sound very good. I set FFmpeg to the insane decoding quality or whatever it called and it works well.

I won't compare to the quality playing FLAC directly from the SD card as I doubt I would be able to detect a difference and I'm not doing bu**crap comparisons anymore. I will leave that to others on here. :wink:
I just wanted to draw the attention of USB users to the fact that Flac to wav decoding is done by the ffmpeg function. So either it will be done in the Poly or the decoding can be done in the Bubble UPnP app.
By reducing the activity of the processor in the Poly, we reduce the production of noise internally and therefore the USB input of the Mojo will interfere with its audio circuit all the less.

For my part, having noticed the phenomenon when streaming with USB and that since well before the Mojo went on sale, I kept the Wav format.

When I discovered BubbleUPnP, and that well before the release of the Poly, I was disappointed by the quality of qobuz whose streaming is done in Flac. I then discovered that the developer of Bubble UPnP had inserted the solution into his application. It was simply necessary to carry out the decoding in Bubble.

If by this post, I managed to offer a little pleasure to one person, my goal is achieved.

it was with confidence in my listening that I discovered Chord products.
It took patience and self-belief to figure out how best to use the Dave or HMS.
This went through a necessary optimization of the use of Poly and 2go and 2yu.

Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #17,786 of 18,773
IMG_1432.jpeg

I tested mojo2+poly in my brother car on aux it's old Renault Clio 3 and the experience was shocking! normally the sound is super boring and with that combo on it transformed default speaker system. Let's measure it was like SQ jumped from 2/10 (no smile at all) to 7/10 (bouncing leg). Not a 2% audiophile difference :p

May 9, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #17,787 of 18,773
I tested mojo2+poly in my brother car on aux it's old Renault Clio 3 and the experience was shocking!

I tried it in my VW Tiguan with it’s Dynaudio upgraded system and couldn’t notice a verifiable difference when stationary, certainly no chance of hearing a difference when the vehicle is moving with the addition of the engine noise/road noise of 70db

May 12, 2023 at 2:44 AM Post #17,788 of 18,773
still waiting for that fw update to fix bluetooth audio not working on some devices (known issue by Chord), airplay 2, easier way to play SD card files via bluetooth app, remote volume control for Mojo 2, better bluetooth codecs and larger bitpool, Poly-mscaler software update functionality (upscaling), and last but not least connecting on corporate networks (additional wifi settings like on Android/IOS devices).

I'm a bit surprised how slow fw updates are (years), i'm guessing maybe Poly maybe coming to end of life, who knows..

Last edited:
May 12, 2023 at 3:41 AM Post #17,789 of 18,773
still waiting for that fw update to fix bluetooth audio not working on some devices (known issue by Chord), airplay 2, easier way to play SD card files via bluetooth app, remote volume control for Mojo 2, better bluetooth codecs and larger bitpool, Poly-mscaler software update functionality (upscaling), and last but not least connecting on corporate networks (additional wifi settings like on Android/IOS devices).

I'm a bit surprised how slow fw updates are (years), i'm guessing maybe Poly maybe coming to end of life, who knows..
I’d much rather Chord did this fw update than a new device. My Poly is one that can’t receive Bluetooth (it used to before I added Mojo2) - I’ve contacted Chord and no reply. Not sure we’ll get all your wish list but a few fixes would be nice - and it would be in line with what we were told when the Go2 fw was updated a few years ago!

May 12, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #17,790 of 18,773
I’d much rather Chord did this fw update than a new device. My Poly is one that can’t receive Bluetooth (it used to before I added Mojo2) - I’ve contacted Chord and no reply. Not sure we’ll get all your wish list but a few fixes would be nice - and it would be in line with what we were told when the Go2 fw was updated a few years ago!
I did get a response many many months ago about the bluetooth being a known issue... they probably contracted a company to do the fw/app development but didn't account for long term feature/maintenance development - this is the bane of app development and maintenance, always underestimated.. sometimes having an onsite full time development team (can be small 2-3 devs) can be more cost effective not to mention better for the company reputation, look at Qudelix with their what seems weekly fw updates for example - their sales are through the roof and software becomes an integral part of the product increasing it's value two fold if not more.

The bluetooth codec lack of support pains me too, even the cheapest of the cheap usb dongles support at least AAC - even 15 years ago.. if I find out it's a matter of Chord pinching some licensing/developer pennies to integrate it into their bluetooth stack..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back