Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
May 5, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #17,086 of 19,125
What are your thoughts about connecting the Mojo2 to Roon? Is connecting the Mojo to my Mac by USB within the Roon app superior to connecting to Roon via the Poly? It seems to my ears that the connection via Poly is noticeably better. And the path looks a lot less complex.
Poly sounds good for a mobile solution. Get yourself a desktop streamer and use optical. If you like Roon just run the sever portion on a separate powerful computer.

I am running NS1 into mojo 1 because my emm labs dac is getting serviced. Between NS1 and poly, it's not even comparable in terms of final sound quality. mojo actually sounds like a reasonably competent dac with NS1.

Last edited:
May 5, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #17,087 of 19,125
Why are you using Poly for in-home application? A dedicated streamer using toslink will provide significant improvement over Poly (night and day is not an overstatement). Poly is fine on the road, but it's honestly pretty low end for in-home use.
Interesting opinion, but I would disagree. To my ears and in my experience, Poly is a very capable streamer solution... at home and on the go. You'd have to pay a lot of extra bucks for anything better.

May 5, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #17,088 of 19,125
Why are you using Poly for in-home application? A dedicated streamer using toslink will provide significant improvement over Poly (night and day is not an overstatement). Poly is fine on the road, but it's honestly pretty low end for in-home use.
I have one other question. I'm not saying that I could detect a difference but my understanding is that the optical connection on the Mojo2 supports up to 24 bit 192 kHz while the USB inputs support up to 32 bit 768 kHz. So with a high end system wouldn't it be better to use the USB inputs?

May 5, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #17,089 of 19,125
I have one other question. I'm not saying that I could detect a difference but my understanding is that the optical connection on the Mojo2 supports up to 24 bit 192 kHz while the USB inputs support up to 32 bit 768 kHz. So with a high end system wouldn't it be better to use the USB inputs?
optical from a good desktop streamer will sound better than USB from your MacBook/iMac/PC/

May 5, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #17,090 of 19,125
I was using the Duoo X10Tii with a moonaudio optical cable to the Mojo 2 for a while before switching back to the Poly.

The optical connection sounds wonderfully clean, but, at least compared to the micro-usb connection, seemed just, I dunno how to describe it...maybe "thin"? It wasn't thin though, just seems "thinner" than the usb connection.

Which, isn't necessarily a bad thing. That slightly thinner sound brings extra sharpness for large symphony orchestras, which is almost magical to listen to. But more popular songs don't quite have the oomph or musicality that the usb connection has. Again, I am talking about a tiny tiny sense of difference.

The "extra sharpness" of optical, by the way, is a phrase I'm leaning towards because I don't want to say "greater separation, greater detail, better resonance, faster attack and decay, cleaner transients" because none of that is true. But there is a sense of that little extra bit of sharpness that makes symphony orchestras really shine.

The difference is tiny enough that it very well could be my imagination. I consistently have this impression when switching back and forth, so I "think" it's a real perception. Then again, it's not a blind test, so there's no way to be sure that it's not just my imagination.

May 5, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #17,091 of 19,125
What are your thoughts about connecting the Mojo2 to Roon? Is connecting the Mojo to my Mac by USB within the Roon app superior to connecting to Roon via the Poly? It seems to my ears that the connection via Poly is noticeably better. And the path looks a lot less complex.
In my experience the mojo sounds better connected to poly when using roon. I believe poky usb connection to be quieter than from a pc or mac.

May 6, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #17,093 of 19,125
I just found a reasonably priced (in relative terms) used Poly with the 3.0 firmware and have decided to give it a go with my M2. I wonder if I will have any problems with my mesh network. Will almost exclusively be using the unit within the house over airplay. Will report back with my findings. Fingers crossed.

May 11, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #17,097 of 19,125
Just so I can better understand... You want the streaming app, say Apple Music, to always be at 100%? If it's set at 100%, what causes it to change? Doesn't the app remember the last volume setting? thx

May 11, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #17,098 of 19,125
Just so I can better understand... You want the streaming app, say Apple Music, to always be at 100%? If it's set at 100%, what causes it to change? Doesn't the app remember the last volume setting? thx
Correct. Unfortunately, it seems volume level is only remembered for Bluetooth devices but every time you re-connect to an AirPlay output the volume level is reset to a low level. In general, when using AirPlay I prefer to control the volume from the destination which is the Mojo2 in this case.

BTW, this has been addressed in shairport-sync, which is a software based AirPlay receiver software, via the "ignore_volume_control" configuration option. Here's an description from the shairport-sync man page.
Set this choice to "yes" if you want the volume to be at 100% no matter what the source's volume control is set to. This might be useful if you want to set the volume on the output device, independently of the setting at the source. The default is "no".

May 11, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #17,099 of 19,125
I just found a reasonably priced (in relative terms) used Poly with the 3.0 firmware and have decided to give it a go with my M2. I wonder if I will have any problems with my mesh network. Will almost exclusively be using the unit within the house over airplay. Will report back with my findings. Fingers crossed.
I have the M2 and Poly and use a Nucleus connected to my Orbi 850 mesh system by ethernet cable and all work great together. I have two Orbi Satellites as well and moving around the house presents no problems. Others have reported problems with using a mesh network, however. How are things going for you?

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #17,100 of 19,125
I also have the same WiFi mesh system. I use Roon. In my experience, I have to turn off the satellite or I get drop outs. BTW, both the 850s are connected via wired ethernet as are my Roon Core and NAS file server.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back