Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Feb 21, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #16,891 of 18,883
Ran a few albums back to back through PolyMojo2 from Roon core on my Mac mini last night with no issues. Any more specifics on your chain, network, etc?
Well, I use the ASUS RT-AX88U, Mojo 2 and Poly are 2-3 metres away from the router.

My Astell&Kern SP2000 performs really well on the same network, as do my Sonos speakers. The DAVE and Mscaler are fed by a Sonore Optical Rendu that also has zero issues.

Finally, I have a Fiio M17 in another room, which has zero dropouts too.

Basically the only problematic device is the Poly. It is also the only device that uses my 2.4ghz network..

Attachments

• B6EB86FA-232D-4C2B-BB3F-8022375A971A.png
    B6EB86FA-232D-4C2B-BB3F-8022375A971A.png
    880.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #16,892 of 18,883
It is a rather drastic measure when 6 other endpoints (both wired and wireless) have no issues with Roon whatsoever...
Sadly, I cannot deny that. But, it was the only way that I was able to make it work. Maybe it's the last resort, but in case it comes to that, I hope it helps you!

Feb 21, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #16,893 of 18,883
Anyone had any success with Roon? I am now trying my second unit and still getting dropouts...
Do you have a mesh WiFi network?

I've found the Poly (and the 2Go to an even greater extent) doesn't switch well between access points. Once I turned off my satellite (as needed), I have no issues with using Roon and the Poly; none whatsoever!

Feb 21, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #16,894 of 18,883
Yeap, I do. Will give it a go, thanks.

EDIT: seems to work thus far. I exclusively use the node to feed my DAVE stack via ethernet so might just leave it off when not using the main system (until I find a workaround)

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #16,895 of 18,883
I get constant dropouts from all my mac devices to the poly when using Apple Music app in multi cast AirPlay mode. I multi cast to several raspberry pi devices around my home without any issue. Include the poly as one of those multi cast devices and constant dropouts (just to the poly). When I just AirPlay from the mac by selecting the poly as an audio output AirPlay device (not multi cast) then I get no issues at all. No problems when I used Roon to the poly last year (I tried the 3 month free trial that I got with the poly purchase).

Feb 21, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #16,896 of 18,883
I've found the Poly (and the 2Go to an even greater extent) doesn't switch well between access points. Once I turned off my satellite (as needed), I have no issues with using Roon and the Poly; none whatsoever!
This is good insight. I observed this as well. I found though that I can usually get the Poly to respond again if I cause my network to force a reconnect. Below is screenshot from the UniFi iOS app. It’s the only device I need to do this with but it’s also the only 2.4 ghz device in my network that isn’t stationary. A fixed IP address is probably a good idea as well.

Given the price they charge for the 2Go, it’s a sin that it doesn’t support 5 ghz networking.

5DF7A133-3670-45D9-A43F-768F3C6D2AF6.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #16,897 of 18,883
Yes, same here.
Roon Labs plays 96 kHz max and delivered the best sound quality of all apps I tested. Further, the showstopper for Roon Labs and similar services was that you can't use it remotely.

I am currently disappointed of the Poly:
  • the setup is not easy
  • the manual is more confusing and clarifying
  • the connection between the Mojo 2 and the Poly is ok but not very strong so you need to buy the leather case which is not cheap
  • you need a DLNA ready app to use Tidal, Qobuz and others, get a degradation of the stream's quality and you can't use the downloaded files ...
  • ... or you invest even more money in services like Roon Labs
Overall, the Poly is a great and expensive idea with poor usability.
I am back to using the Mojo 2 without the Poly to get the best sound quality out of it. when I use Audirvāna to the poly
When I use Audirvāna to stream tidal to my poly thru DLNA I also get HI-res on the mojo.

Feb 21, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #16,898 of 18,883
Yeap, I do. Will give it a go, thanks.

EDIT: seems to work thus far. I exclusively use the node to feed my DAVE stack via ethernet so might just leave it off when not using the main system (until I find a workaround)
How weird...just switched the node back on and no issues. Love the wonders of modern day tech.

Feb 21, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #16,899 of 18,883
How weird...just switched the node back on and no issues. Love the wonders of modern day tech.
Another example of switching something off, and then letting effectively reboot with empty data caches resolves issues. Clearly a long way from 'dumbed down intuitive user interface' which is the eventual goal, but it works. :wink:

Feb 21, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #16,900 of 18,883
All I had to do was copy/paste a couple text lines into the Terminal app and enter my computer's password. It took some time but installed flawlessly.
I’m glad that you got Cantata working. But, to my earlier point, no consumer product should require using the Terminal app!

Feb 21, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #16,901 of 18,883
I’m glad that you got Cantata working. But, to my earlier point, no consumer product should require using the Terminal app!
As a matter of principle, I agree to your point! There are 2 primary problems with using Terminal to install an app: 1) it bypasses many of the Apple security measures leaving the user very vulnerable, and 2) A single character typed in error can possibly leave your Mac as an over-sized brick. If this were some random app install, I'd give a big-time hard pass.

That said...

The risks are extremely small is this specific case. Based on posts in thread, Cantata is a well-regarded app. There have been several Mac users who have had a good experience with it. It has a strong following among Windows users. Assuming one is adept enough to ensure that 2 lines of text are fully copied--then pasted--removes all the risk of a typo. Even if one has a typo putting in their admin password, nothing would go wrong, just a request to re-enter their password.

The benefits are significant. Members (with much better hearing than mine) have said repeatedly that this squeezes out the maximum potential, esp. in the GoFigure airplane mode. Once it's running, GoFigure doesn't lose track of the Poly, making very easy to control your music from your phone on a moment's notice. The controls are simple and take effect immediately. There is an even bigger benefit for me. You don't need to worry about maintaining a network connection, giving me the freedom to go anywhere, anytime.

The downside? With ~500 playlists, if I want to listen to ZZ Top, my thumb gets a really good workout!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Apologies for the diatribe... @muski, I am not trying to discount your opinion. Again, I agree with your point about using the Terminal app.

In my case, I weighed the risks/benefits and made my personal decision. It seems that you weighed the ration and made a different decision. Neither of us is wrong!!:beerchug:

Feb 22, 2022 at 2:51 AM Post #16,902 of 18,883
Well, I'm back. Yeah I sold my Poly a while ago last year, then the Mojo since it was clear the M2 was definitely on the way and I figured M1 would depreciate quite a bit.

In the meantime I've toured around a few other DAPs and dongles, and well, the Mojo sound brought me back. The Mojopoly combo might not be that straightforward as a truly portable solution, but if I want something really grab-and-go in the future I'll just use a dongle. MojoPoly is more like a desktop/transportable solution for me, and I've found there's still not much around that delivers soundwise for the same money it seems.

I have an M2 on order, but they won't be available here until mid-March. Since it seems Poly doesn't work with M2 unless it's running firmware V3, that also presented something of a dilemma since - with an M1 - if I bought a 2nd hand Poly I might end up stuck with a Poly on firmware v2 and no way to update it.

So I managed to find a new Poly going cheap in one of these all-in-one MojoPoly packs from a 2019 Chinese New Year special pack. Brand new for pretty much the same price as Mojopoly 2nd hand, and cheaper than Poly alone brand new :)
IMG_8089.jpg
Bad news is that since it dates from 2019 - pre-COVID! - the Poly unit came with firmware 1.015 or 1.017 or something. So I've just gone through the process of updating 1.015 -> 1.043 -> 2.0 -> 2.03 -> 2.04 -> 3.0. Fun times :) But although there's a lot of steps there it was fairly straightforward.

As everyone's been saying it's hard to believe it's been 7 years since the OG Mojo. I think I first got one once it had been out a year or two already, and this is now the 3rd OG I've owned. Once the M2 arrives I'll probably just keep both. In between each time owning it I've dabbled in plenty of DAPs, I guess partly out of curiosity, partly seeking the next big thing, partly since I only really got into audio gear about 5 years ago. Honestly I think going forward I'll just stick to keeping M1/M2/Poly and avoid further purchases and updates in the portable audio space - save my dollars for spending on a desktop amplifier or other headphones.

Now to enjoy some tunes while I wait for March to roll around...

Feb 22, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #16,905 of 18,883
Get Roon if you can. It's definitely the best way to use your poly. I use both Yamd and Glider on the go, but prefer Yamd (it's free as well!) also, get Go figure. and you should be set.

On the go, my personal preference is to use poly as a hotspot. Some folks like to create playlists but in my experience, if you use poly in hotspot mode it's like you're at home!

Happy listening!

YAMD: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/yamd/id1497463063
Glider: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/glider-music-player/id1195350916
I have tried the ROON on several occasions, a couple of 3 months trials and a full years membership and I really do not personally see the attraction. My problems could be to do with my router and/or network, but I have had several drops or music freezing and a horrid overall experience, I personally cannot recommend, on my own experience, but as the saying goes YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back