Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
May 9, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #9,451 of 19,125
Don’t ask, isn’t relevant. Neither the “regulations” nor the flight crew would be qualified to answer, I expect.

Did you know the WiFi and electronics rules are different in first class than the rest of the plane? .... not on paper, not as spoken... but as acted on. I have only had one flight out of many the last few years where an attendant said something to me about turning off electronics (going back to before when Bose qc’s we’re common and eink readers were just coming out). In fact, the last thing I was asked to turn off were my first generation bose qcs.

When landing, I’ve not been asked to put away a laptop in a couple of years.

Upon takeoff, I’ve not been asked to “stow” my laptop when it is sitting vertically beside me in years.

If I’m flying coach, the world appears to be about to end if there is an led lit on anything....

My point is, don’t be overt, don’t abuse, cease if asked by flight crew.

I would agree.

May 9, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #9,453 of 19,125
It's interesting, if you google for wifi hotspots and flights there are plenty of hits on flights that have been cancelled or redirected because of the "names" of hotpsots that some jokers have used, not they were being used in the first place!

May 9, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #9,454 of 19,125
Did you need to do anything settings wise to get the Poly as an output? I installed mconnect lite tethered the poly to my S8 (Oreo), I can see it as a server and view the SD Card files but it doesn't appear as an output.

Bubble can currently see the poly as server and renderer.

Thanks!
Hi. I paid for full version. Then just selected poly as output renderer.

May 9, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #9,455 of 19,125
It's interesting, if you google for wifi hotspots and flights there are plenty of hits on flights that have been cancelled or redirected because of the "names" of hotpsots that some jokers have used, not they were being used in the first place!
The captain has the ultimate responsibility for the safety of the plane/passengers. Unfortunately there are enough phone owning idiots worldwide, to mean that the crew do have to monitor the names of hotspots, and alert the captain.

May 9, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #9,456 of 19,125
We should all attempt to collect some data before getting too excited about Poly's wi-fi transmitter. IIRC, Chord writes that it puts out a weak signal which will be useless beyond 3m. I've never tested this, has anyone else here tested how far one can detect Poly's wi-fi? I could well be that the crew would never detect Poly. Or not.

May 9, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #9,457 of 19,125
We should all attempt to collect some data before getting too excited about Poly's wi-fi transmitter. IIRC, Chord writes that it puts out a weak signal which will be useless beyond 3m. I've never tested this, has anyone else here tested how far one can detect Poly's wi-fi? I could well be that the crew would never detect Poly. Or not.

This line of thinking isn't exactly relevant either, no offense. The frequencies used for Wifi/bluetooth aren't going to be anywhere near the frequency bands of air communications. I don't want to digress this conversation, but WIFI/bluetooth band devices must accept and deal with interference to them, but not generate interference with other frequencies. If the device didn't meet these requirements, it wouldn't have received FCC certification.

-j

May 9, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #9,458 of 19,125
414EBC80-4715-4CC0-B6D6-FD2142E17501.jpeg
Orange light from Tidal. 48khz Tidal Master.

May 9, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #9,459 of 19,125
Should the poly status light flash blue while on airport mode?

May 9, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #9,460 of 19,125
Poly/Roon/Tidal works great for me if I am within 30 feet of the router. I think I'm going to try a mesh network to get better coverage--any recommendations?
Netgear Orbi is a great choice since there is no cutoff in bandwidth between the router and the satellite, and the coverage and signal strength are also great form my experience. Google Wifi seems to be a great alternative at a lower price.

May 10, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #9,461 of 19,125
It makes a big difference. You can’t play DSDs or anything higher than 44k off the iPhone. All higher res files including DSDs need to be played off the sd card. I am surprised people don’t use the sd card more as the sound is so much more superior than streaming songs from the phone via airplay or BT. Also the higher res songs just sound so much better. Why spend >$1200 and not take full advantage of the technology.
Yes, now that I’ve tried an SD card, I couldn’t agree more! Airplay to Poly is noisy, and I think this may need to be fixed (hopefully can be fixed in firmware). But listening with the SD card is the sweet audio goodness that is the whole reason I spent all this money in the first place.

But here’s an interesting tidbit: when you have an SD card inserted, playing a DSD64 song uploaded to the iPhone suddenly works as well! No more error 174! Somehow, just by inserting the SD card, the Poly goes into a different mode (MPD?) that allows Poly to play DSD64 music loaded onto the iPhone (ie, not on the SD card)!

May 10, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #9,462 of 19,125
Saw this post from JDS Labs this morning, which reminded me that a simple lossless/hi-res streaming set-up can be implemented simply and cheaply at home using a $35 Chromecast Audio with an optical-enabled DAC...like Mojo. Sample-rate is capped @ 24/96, (and of course no DSD) which is more than enough for most people and certainly respectable for a $35 streamer.

I've posted about CCA + the Mojo previously, but it got me thinking about if I had my time again, would I have gone with Poly? Obviously not a ceteris paribus comparison due to the $999 sunk costs into the Poly, but one can still make a fairly-reasoned comparison.

Had I known back pre October launch when I ordered it that a control-app for Android would not be ready in May 2018 (with no sign/word of one in sight) would I have ordered one? In all honesty, "now me" would have advised "then me" to do the following:

1. Home use: grab a $35 Chromecast audio for home streaming to Mojo. Native Tidal / Google Play Music implementation, and the ability to stream lossless from my Android's FLAC collection via DLNA. Bonus party trick: voice-command playback for GPM via my Google Home Mini.

2. On-the-go-use: grab a $99 Shanling M0 DAP. A tiny (38g, 45mm x 40mm x 13.5 mm) touch-screen DAP with proper UI that's expandable with up to 512GB of micro-SD space. It has its own ESS ES9218p DAC for native playback (does a respectable but non Mojo-threatening 80mw @ 32 ohms), but has USB-c out so can be a transport for another DAC...like Mojo. Aptx-HD bluetooth as well. I can just picture it: An M0 attached to Mojo's roof using a 3M Command-strip; with a USB-c --> USB-micro connector. This would give Mojo it's own 'interface' for playback, without the need to rely on wifi/hotspot, plus the well-known perils we've all experienced with skipping, cut-out, gaps in playback etc.

Anyhow, just musing about how one could go about doing things. Poly+Mojo's certainly a talented, mercurial combination that's ambitiously over-engineered from a concept perspective, but sometimes there's simpler and cheaper ways to go about doing things. Reminds me of that well-known story about NASA's substantial investment in inventing a pen that would work in orbit, as they couldn't get ink to reliably flow in zero-G. Time, brains, and dollars were thrown away on this project, while meanwhile the Soviets...used pencils.

Happy listening all.

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 5:39 AM Post #9,463 of 19,125
Reminds me of that well-known story about NASA's substantial investment in inventing a pen that would work in orbit, as they couldn't get ink to reliably flow in zero-G. Time, brains, and dollars were thrown away on this project, while meanwhile the Soviets...used pencils.

Happy listening all.
>>> Pedant mythbuster alert!! It was the pencils that were expensive (about $130 each) unreliable / dangerous in zero-g (bits of lead breaking off). These were replaced by a cheap ($1.98 each) privately researched and funded space pen. The Russians used them too. The best bit about this myth? Although only the space pen worked upside down, ballpoint pens were also used as they work fine in space! :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #9,464 of 19,125
Hi
Simply or not, who knows.
Fed up with iPhone but love Glider is there an Android equivalent ? Or some decent MPD that will play DSD 5.6? Have AK Connect not sure if it supports DSD it seemed to play 2.8 but unsure?
Got bubble too.

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #9,465 of 19,125
Hi
Simply or not, who knows.
Fed up with iPhone but love Glider is there an Android equivalent ? Or some decent MPD that will play DSD 5.6? Have AK Connect not sure if it supports DSD it seemed to play 2.8 but unsure?
Got bubble too.

Onkyo HF player on app store, you have to pay to unlock the dsd options.

Also, you have to transfer your music onto your iphone, you have to use itunes to drag and drop the music in the app section of itunes.

It will stream in dsd to mojo/poly, maybe there is also a version for android ?

Onkyo HF player is in my opinion the most stable of all apps used for streaming to mojo/poly using an iphone in my experience, it however costs £10 if I recall, for that you even get an equaliser that you can use, makes it worth it just for that alone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back