Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Dec 6, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #4,501 of 18,783
They are not haters. They have concerns that haven't been addressed. I too have been on the sidelines like many others waiting to see where this journey leads. A little more transparency from Chord would go along way.

what about the guy taking bets against the delayed release date of GoFigure? you think the Chord guys are swimming in buckets of money laughing at us while we struggle with the devices?

Dec 6, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #4,502 of 18,783
what about the guy taking bets against the delayed release date of GoFigure? you think the Chord guys are swimming in buckets of money laughing at us while we struggle with the devices?
You said "haters" and your right I've only seen one. People only have so many days to evaluate and return their poly's so asking when the app will be available is a valid question that Chord should answer even if they can only give a general idea of when it will be available. However every time someone ask this question Chord ignores it.

Dec 6, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #4,503 of 18,783
#1 POLYFAN SCREW THE HATERS!

So screw me for having experienced a number of issues and having no clear response from Chord?

Wow. You really come across as a reasonable and well informed individual. Well done.

The issues I expressed are around transparency, setting expectations and customer relations.

Those things don’t cost anything and are common place in most companies/industries these days.

Dec 6, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #4,504 of 18,783
So screw me for having experienced a number of issues and having no clear response from Chord?

Wow. You really come across as a reasonable and well informed individual. Well done.

The issues I expressed are around transparency, setting expectations and customer relations.

Those things don’t cost anything and are common place in most companies/industries these days.

comment was tongue in cheek and meant for a laugh--you really come across as someone with a sense of humor. well done!

Dec 6, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #4,505 of 18,783
wasn't replying to you--I was replying to the haters :)

signed,
#1 POLYFAN

Thought so, just adding weight to the non hater front! :)

It's a rather volatile thread this one. I can understand why, fully.
It is a terrible shame this Poly unit has invoked such strong emotion. Who is to blame for that? .... Are there many comparable threads here on this forum?

May be the answer to that last question would suggest where the blame lies, or the greater part of it. ...

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #4,508 of 18,783
comment was tongue in cheek and meant for a laugh--you really come across as someone with a sense of humor. well done!

Really? You just copied a line from my response???

I expected more than that... Maybe my sense of humour is just a little more evolved

Honestly, if it was tongue in cheek fair enough. It’s just a little frustrating that folks on this forum who are having genuine issues are being treating like they are out to get Chord in some kind of vengeful plot.

We all love Chord, that’s why we buy their products. I think there is a lot of frustration with how it’s being handled and perhaps a sore spot for some (including me).

Dec 6, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #4,510 of 18,783
It was a reply from Chord Electronics :) , the same person who answered an earlier question for me. I have responded and mentioned the opposite was stated here in Head-Fi, so it is up to Chord to tell us which is the correct statement. I too am hopeful it is a mis-understanding but only here at head-Fi have I seen this stated, can't find any other reference to that Bluetooth control.

Of course I am not saying anyone is lying but both statements cannot be correct so someone is not up to date with the company position - me included.

Ok to clarify the app uses BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) to control playback of music stored on the SD card. It does not need WiFi.
I will find out who gave out the incorrect information tomorrow and give them more training.

We are working on the different use cases and fixing the problems that have been identified in the firmware before we release the app. Some of these fixes have meant changes to the app code as well hence the delay.

I hope that helps to clear this up.

Dec 6, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #4,511 of 18,783
Yes that does clear up a lot for me at least, thanks.

My serial no is PO21067 if that helps you track the support query/responder

Steve

Dec 6, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #4,512 of 18,783
Ok to clarify the app uses BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) to control playback of music stored on the SD card. It does not need WiFi.
I will find out who gave out the incorrect information tomorrow and give them more training.

We are working on the different use cases and fixing the problems that have been identified in the firmware before we release the app. Some of these fixes have meant changes to the app code as well hence the delay.

Well that helps clarify. BLE which makes sense. So if you change the app code does that mean it needs to be resubmitted?

Dec 6, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #4,513 of 18,783

Good stuff, I think, excuse my ignorance but does that mean, FLAC, DSD files etc. Will be played direct from the SD card, no WiFi / internet connection required, no hotspot fiddling, all controlled from the app via BLE?

Is it likely the Android app will be ready for Christmas? .... I have a strong feeling i might have to drive up a mountain somewhere to escape the inevitable family melee!
Or even the IOS? ...... I have an old iPhone I could deploy if need be.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #4,514 of 18,783
The lack of responses from Chord on multiple questions seems to be very much on purpose, which leads me to believe that some of these issues may plague the Poly for longer than anyone would like.

I'm not sure that I've ever seen a more ridiculous product announcement/release/rollout before. Was the app actually submitted to the store? Or was that just to placate the people asking about the app?

I'm pretty frustrated and I don't even own one yet. People bought a product that promised to deliver the moon, and in return they're waiting around, asking questions and receiving no answer, and dealing with ridiculously stupid issues (what kind of "streaming" product can't even reliably and easily connect to different networks without jumping through 4 hoops first?). All of this would be a bit easier to swallow if people we receiving honest, prompt answers to their questions. Unfortunately you either don't receive an answer, or when you do half the time it also has a bit of an attack embedded in it accusing people of not knowing how to setup/run their own networks, or not understanding what the poly is "truly capable of".

I understand the guys from Chord have taken a lot of flack in this thread, some of it unwarranted, but that's how it goes. You're the face of the company, a company that you'd like people to respect. If that's to happen you need to rise above the BS, be forthcoming, answer questions in a very plain way, and act like a grown up. People on here can and will act like asses, it's a perk of commenting on the internet anonymously. Company reps should know enough to conduct themselves with the utmost respect for others, even if it's not shown in return. That's how you win people over, that's how you inspire confidence.

I agree.

For me personally my whole frustration with Poly has been due to Chord’s responses.

I would have been more than happy (and extremely forgiving) if the initial responses had been something like “We’re sorry if you are experiencing issues. If it’s a problem with Poly, please wait while we release the first round of updates and/or work with us to help identify and fix any issues. If it’s not related to Poly we can help you identify what could be causing problems”.

Instead it’s been pretty much along the lines of “The Poly is perfect. You’re not using it properly” even though a lot of these issues (that apparently aren’t caused by Perfect Poly) are now being addressed with the firmware updates.

I’m also quite dismayed that there has been no visible appreciation from Chord towards some of the members on this forum that have gone out of their way to educate and assist other members with issues that they are having. Something I feel should have been handled by support documentation at launch.

Without being judgmental regarding Poly's ongoing problems (mine is sitting in a drawer awaiting new software and firmware), it's pretty obvious that if Poly works for 50% and doesn't work for 50% who are doing the same thing as the first 50%, Poly has problems and that's a crisis for Chord. The first rule of crisis management is to establish that you care about the customer more than anything else, you are sorry for the pain you inflicted, and you will make it right for them. It's often said that people don't care what you know until they know that you care. The next rule is don't make excuses and don't ask customers to understand or be sympathetic. Rules 3 and 4 are never deny or minimize the problem and never blame the customer. This may not be fair and it may hurt egos and pride, but it's Biz 101. It may or may not be good advice to ask them to be civil. What Chord needs to do it build trust. Nothing else they say will help. I do think they are beginning to understand all of this.

Some have waited longer than others to realize Poly's promise. We're all going to have to wait a little longer. How much longer even Chord cannot tell us. Ok, the product introduction wasn't what Chord or the rest of us hoped it would be. That's water under the bridge. I may turn mine in and move on to a new DAP, or I may just wait for the promised software improvements. No matter what I decide, I am going to be civil, constructive, and cooperative with Chord employees and Head-Fi members. To do otherwise serves no useful purpose. For the record, the two Chord people with whom I have interacted have been quick to respond and as helpful as is possible given the circumstances. What we can ask of Chord from this point forward is transparency and candor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back