Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Dec 6, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #4,441 of 18,774
I suppose you don’t have ALAC files as MPDulxe don’t support ALAC. I am unfortunately have all files in ALAC?
Sorry to hear that. Mine are all FLACs.

Dec 6, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #4,442 of 18,774
No answer to my prior question about Tidal offline but, Poly seems to be a technical nightmare based off all of this feedback. Is there any reason people are purchasing it instead of a similarly priced DAP? Similar as in the price of Mojo plus Poly?

Dec 6, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #4,443 of 18,774
No answer to my prior question about Tidal offline but, Poly seems to be a technical nightmare based off all of this feedback. Is there any reason people are purchasing it instead of a similarly priced DAP? Similar as in the price of Mojo plus Poly?
I would guess that like me a lot of the owners already have a Mojo, and the sound quality is so much better than a similarly priced (to Poly) DAP and it works so well with so many different headphones - I've not spent enough time listening to combined price DAPs to state that still holds true but I imagine it would.

Also I started getting drop outs recently but with some help from Ryan sat support we did some reconfiguring of my home network and all is good again. I know it's not perfect yet but it's worth it and they are committed to making things even better so a lot of these issues will end going away over time.

Dec 6, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #4,444 of 18,774

Lol. "Instead"? Look at my sig.

Once Chord get their ducks in a row (which should have been done prior to Poly release) the MojoPoly will be a force to be reckoned with in terms of portable audio power & fidelity.

Dec 6, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #4,445 of 18,774

I would imagine that there are several answers to that depending upon the user. I have an AK240 which cost twice as much as the combined cost of the MojoPoly, but the MojoPoly sounds better and is far more versatile. Reasons that I can think of by direct comparison to my AK240 are:

1) better sound quality
2) Choice of control app
3) Can control via iPhone or iPad
4) Use at home as a Roon end point - a big plus for me
5) Can use with phone via airplay or Bluetooth to play from Tidal, YouTube or variety of other sources. AK240 does offer WiFi streaming from either Qobuz or Tidal, but it is poor in my experience and not a genuine option

Disadvantages are that it is larger and heavier than AK240 and you do always need to have your phone with you as well. I may still use my AK240 occasionally, but it hasn’t seen much use since I got the Poly.

Regarding it being a technical nightmare, you are only seeing all the problems that people are having posted. People tend to use forums to get answers and help with problems that they encounter. With a complex product, this can amplify the impression that it is problematic. I have had no problems at all with mine and others have expressed similar feedback.

Dec 6, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #4,446 of 18,774
So I've finally been able to get my Poly to talk with my iPhone's hotspot (thanks to @Matt Bartlett, yes, changing the broadcast name worked!!). However, neither Glider, 8Player, or Creation5 are able to find the file on Poly's SD card. Any helpful suggestions??

What type of files are you trying to play FLAC, WAV, AIFF?
Do you see the Poly server appear as an option in 8Player?

Dec 6, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #4,447 of 18,774
I would imagine that there are several answers to that depending upon the user. I have an AK240 which cost twice as much as the combined cost of the MojoPoly, but the MojoPoly sounds better and is far more versatile. Reasons that I can think of by direct comparison to my AK240 are:

1) better sound quality
2) Choice of control app
3) Can control via iPhone or iPad
4) Use at home as a Roon end point - a big plus for me
5) Can use with phone via airplay or Bluetooth to play from Tidal, YouTube or variety of other sources. AK240 does offer WiFi streaming from either Qobuz or Tidal, but it is poor in my experience and not a genuine option

Disadvantages are that it is larger and heavier than AK240 and you do always need to have your phone with you as well. I may still use my AK240 occasionally, but it hasn’t seen much use since I got the Poly.

Regarding it being a technical nightmare, you are only seeing all the problems that people are having posted. People tend to use forums to get answers and help with problems that they encounter. With a complex product, this can amplify the impression that it is problematic. I have had no problems at all with mine and others have expressed similar feedback.

You are so right that I love MojoPoly’s sound quality and the designed connection features so I want Chord to get it right ASAP.

Dec 6, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #4,448 of 18,774
For me it works perfect. I love the idea that I can use my phone instead of the awful DAP GUI that you get with most DAPs. I only use mine for portable use, using Tidal offline with Airplay. After the firmware update, it now works perfect, no more drop outs, and when turning on the Mojo, I don't need to wait for ages, before detaching the poly and then reattaching it in order to get it to work. Once the Go figure app is released, then I'll start using it for SD card playback. At the moment all the apps for SD cards don't work as well as I would like

Positives:
No cable
iPhone GUI instead of some rubbish DAP gui
Amazing sound ( better than my old AK240 with Chord Hugo)
smallish size compared to the old stacks I used to carry
many features built in.

Negatives:
A bit catch and miss with setting it up the first time
Complicated if using it for everything it's designed for (Roon, different home network, DLNA)

Give it another 3 months and I believe we would start getting a lot more positive reviews and feedback from this bundle of joy.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #4,449 of 18,774
Streaming services (Audirvana, Qobuz app over airplay) still don't like Poly on my office wifi. But Glider works! Progress!

But still the first seconds of a track is cut off. Is that being addressed in a future update? I can't keep up.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #4,450 of 18,774
I would guess that like me a lot of the owners already have a Mojo, and the sound quality is so much better than a similarly priced (to Poly) DAP and it works so well with so many different headphones - I've not spent enough time listening to combined price DAPs to state that still holds true but I imagine it would.

I certainly disagree that it still holds true. For example (below)...

Lol. "Instead"? Look at my sig.

Once Chord get their ducks in a row (which should have been done prior to Poly release) the MojoPoly will be a force to be reckoned with in terms of portable audio power & fidelity.

The DX200, to my ears, far and away outperforms the Mojo in terms of SQ, in every aspect. With the stock Amp 1 I'll admit that while I found it to be technically superior to the Mojo, it sounded a bit dry and was missing a bit of the Mojo's musical magic (I had Mojo for about 6 months before the DX200). But with Amp 3 the DX200 took on a whole other level of musicality, dynamism, separation, imaging, and anything else I can think of. On top of that it is Android based, so you get basically any app from the Play Store, most relevant being Tidal, as for my use case, Tidal is where I get most of my music and offline works great. It's also more powerful through balanced outputs and the continual release of new amps make it more versatile. Also, Opus #2 is another DAP in the same tier and while I've not heard it, most comments I've read place it above Mojo. Even read posts on the new LG v30 phone sounding better than Mojo. Point is, the argument that there is no similarly priced DAP that can compete with Mojo is just no longer true at all. If you prefer a certain signature, then sure that's different.

Now I'm not here to hate on Poly, I am on here cause I was considering getting it since the one thing I miss while listening on my commute is the ability to discover new music, so if Poly could indeed let me stream Tidal (NOT through Bluetooth to avoid degradation) while also letting me keep full use of my phone, then I'd be willing to sacrifice SQ for it, but so far I see no clear answer on that. In addition some carriers will charge extra on your phone plan if you want mobile hotspot use, so that's an extra monthly charge to consider. I do still think it's ridiculous that Poly costs more than Mojo itself, and yeah I've read all the arguments about how the tech inside was invented by aliens and whatnot, but at the end of the day that doesn't matter to me, personally, if all it does is make Mojo wireless. But it seems there are too many kinks, at this stage at least, to say it works for my personal use case. If resolved then I'll continue to consider it.

Dec 6, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #4,452 of 18,774
OK now I can't get the Poly log in page when I join my iPad to the Poly via hotspot/config. It should just come up when I select the network, but it isn't. Any help?

Try forgetting the network (by tapping the i to the right of the network name) then reconnecting. It's happened to me a few times and this got it back!

Dec 6, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #4,453 of 18,774
Try forgetting the network (by tapping the i to the right of the network name) then reconnecting. It's happened to me a few times and this got it back!
Thanks - you can also type poly.audio into a browser

But now it won't save / reboot my change back to hot spot mode. Oh, Poly...

Dec 6, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #4,455 of 18,774

Users who are viewing this thread

Back