Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Oct 25, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #2,612 of 18,786
Keith will you please as a test try using only Poly’s own hot spot WiFi to isolate your home system entirely then post the video of that thank you.

Yep, I’ve tried this - Still no joy!

I think the best way to help you guys is to make a comprehensive video showing all the interactions between poly and other devices. It might help diagnose the problem (which is the only reason I’m posting these issues).

I can just share it with you privately as I’m sure I’m experiencing a rare problem so no need to keep everything on an open forum. I’m aware there are so many variables in the setup and we can get to the bottom of it! :)

Oct 25, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #2,613 of 18,786
Mojopoly case arrived this morning! Very nice quality - leather (was expecting plastic!) & nice clip action along front edge. Thanks Chord!

20171025_121339.jpg

Oct 25, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #2,615 of 18,786
Has anyone claiming their free poly case encountered an error message? Thanks.

Make sure you input the code as it is on the form. I got an error until used all capitals.

Oct 25, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #2,617 of 18,786
Yep, I’ve tried this - Still no joy!

I think the best way to help you guys is to make a comprehensive video showing all the interactions between poly and other devices. It might help diagnose the problem (which is the only reason I’m posting these issues).

I can just share it with you privately as I’m sure I’m experiencing a rare problem so no need to keep everything on an open forum. I’m aware there are so many variables in the setup and we can get to the bottom of it! :)

I plan to use the same set up - 400g SD Card loaded with ALAC via MacBook. My Poly has been delivered to Somerset, but I am in London so I won't know if I replicate your problem until later this week. Have you tried other apps than 8Player?

Oct 25, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #2,618 of 18,786
Hi there
I just received my Poly through the post today .
Also got the code for the free case .
Just want to ask how long does it take for the case to arrive once I registered my code with Chord. Can someone here who got there free case from chord let me know please. Because I’ll be traveling aboard for work on the 2nd nov. Would like to have poly with the case with me while I’m traveling .
Any chance I’ll get the free case before 2nd nov?

Can’t wait to try out the poly:)

Thank you

Oct 25, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #2,619 of 18,786
May I ask both of you guys. Is there any possibility that you may have accidentally pushed the config pin into the M status hole by mistake. The reason I’m asking is that I found myself doing the self same thing last night. I reasoned that if I can do this with enough force I might well have popped the light pipe out of the back of the M status hole. Fortunately I hadn’t but it could
happen. Which is another reason I’ll be pleased when our Gofigure app is released and the pin won’t be required any longer
If t your units have had their light pipes miss placed in side the units please return them to us through your Retailer and will will apromptly pop the light pipes back in place for you.

Hi @Mojo ideas , as with @Mountain Climber , I hadn't pushed the pin into the M.Status hole either but everything else is working right now so also nothing urgent for me. Will try to get this over to The Audiobarn at some point. Just curious to see if it was a stupid user error on my part.

Oct 25, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #2,620 of 18,786
I’ve scanned for currupt files, permissions etc.

I put the exact same files on a £20 portable DLNA server from Amazon and 8Player loaded them almost instantly.

I’m sure this is just a teething issue but my main concern is that it may be normal for the poly to rebuild the database when powered on, and with an expected 5 minute load time this seems pretty problematic to me.

Fingers crossed though. I’m sure it’ll get sorted in the long run

I have a Sandisk 200gb card in Poly and it has 193gb of music (mainly ALAC and FLAC) files and it is taking over 8 minutes to load everything, it does it in alphabetic order so if you want ZZ Top you have to wait a while. I'm also using 8Player (not much else about at the moment) on an iPhone, and closing and reopening 8Player keeps the database populated. It is only when I switch off Poly and start it again that it has to rebuild the list of songs.

This is not a show stopper but it is disappointing as my main use case is on the go with my SD card and having to wait this long to get access to a particular song is annoying. I was also hoping to get a 400gb card as well as the 200gb isn't big enough for my entire collection, but will wait and see what's causing these loading issues first.

Oct 25, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #2,621 of 18,786
Watched the video in post 3 re SD card playback - very helpful.

Is there a recommended 256GB MicroSD Card? I will be uploading ALAC in the main (c180GB). Wanted to avoid the problems above

Oct 25, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #2,622 of 18,786
I have a Sandisk 200gb card in Poly and it has 193gb of music (mainly ALAC and FLAC) files and it is taking over 8 minutes to load everything, it does it in alphabetic order so if you want ZZ Top you have to wait a while. I'm also using 8Player (not much else about at the moment) on an iPhone, and closing and reopening 8Player keeps the database populated. It is only when I switch off Poly and start it again that it has to rebuild the list of songs.

This is not a show stopper but it is disappointing as my main use case is on the go with my SD card and having to wait this long to get access to a particular song is annoying. I was also hoping to get a 400gb card as well as the 200gb isn't big enough for my entire collection, but will wait and see what's causing these loading issues first.

Just tried again this time using Poly's hotspot mode and it took roughly the same time 8 minutes.

Oct 25, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #2,623 of 18,786
Is there a new firmware? I got it configured as a Roon end point and it appears as a uncertified Roon device. But it doesn’t seem to stream DSD native.

I guess that the possibility to upgrade the firmware would come either via the SD card, either via the Poly iOS/Android application (when it be released).
I am tempted to buy a Poly, but I am hesitating due to lack of iOS application being released. I would like to unlock the Poly at its full potential and not to use 3rd party applications like 8Player (I don't like its GUI, btw).

What are the alternatives to 8Player that people have found work well with Poly for DLNA network streaming and SD card playback?

I have the same question. When the Poly app will be released? (an estimated date would be helpful)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #2,624 of 18,786
Is there a new firmware?

I got it configured as a Roon end point and it appears as a uncertified Roon device. But it doesn’t seem to stream DSD native.

Have you tried watching the signal path, which you get by clicking at the small light next to the song playing.
I tried one DSD file and it was resample to PCM by Roon. Atm I can't find settings to stop Roon doing this. When I click on the signal path saying conversion from DSD to PCM there is no action possible.
Maybe this will be solved with final greenlight from ROON for Poly.

Cheers

Oct 25, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #2,625 of 18,786

I don't have a Poly, but my understanding is the Poly SD Card player is based on mpd, which is a Linux-based open source program for organizing and playing digital files that has been around a long time. From what has been described above, it seems that the Poly is programmed to give a command to mpd to update the database (which is located on the Poly, not on your phone, etc.) each time the Poly is turned on. The mpd program will scan each of the files on the SD card and pull out the usual information: artist, track number, title album etc. If you have a lot of files, this can take a long time.

My guess is that the Poly has to do this because otherwise how would the Poly know if you added files to the MicroSD card on your computer. With most mpd implementations, there is an interface, accessible either directly on the device via a screen, or remotely via a web browser (such as Rune Audio, Volumio, or GMPC), that is used to update the mpd database. Usually you can set these interfaces to either automatically update the mpd database each time you turn the device on, or you can set it so that you can update the database manually whenever you want to. You can also choose to only update a particular folder and not the whole database. This is particularly useful if you have lots of music files.

If I am right about this, then one way to fix it would be to update the software on the Poly to not automatically update the mpd database each time the unit is turned on, and instead use your mpd software on your pc or phone to manually update the mpd database on the Poly whenever you add files to the SD card.

Again, I'm only speculating here, and many apologies if I am off base.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back