Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jul 2, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #1,666 of 19,125
t
Although Poly is platform-agnostic, it'll be interesting to see which platform is most attracted to Poly, what with the recent iOS CCK issues.

I'm looking forward to hearing Mojo sing 'wirelessly' (headphone cable notwithstanding). Interesting times...

Me too. The Poly is deliriously tempting, but the price is not.

I know the arguments for the Poly, because I have read the whole thread. However there are some features I simply would not use. Personally £500 for a card reader which can be controlled by phone, doesn't appeal at £500. (I mean wifi is by the by nowadays.) I do wonder though if I will eventually give in and buy one.

I see the point that Poly Mojo costs £900, plus a phone to run it. That it sounds better than the competition. However I would no even think of spending that money on a portable player. (For one point, if you lost it your heart would be crushed.)

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #1,667 of 19,125
Nice timing :smile_phones:

Poly Greenbow numbers.jpg

Re' cost of Poly - yes, it's a chunk of change - no denying that.

We shall see.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #1,668 of 19,125
Haha, talk about coincidence. When I was at uni in my first year, there were campus phones put in all halls of residence. My number was 6660.

Nice timing :smile_phones:

Re' cost of Poly - yes, it's a chunk of change - no denying that.

We shall see.

Yeah we will see how it goes. (It's actually going to be fun watching the Poly reception, reviews, and people's impressions.) I think folk will buy Poly though. Those who would have bought an A&K would probably buy the Poly Mojo. I am keen to see reviews and would have hoped to see lots by now. However I think with the Poly being shipped very soon. We will start to see reviews in the next month or two.

One other aspect that concerns me about Poly-Mojo, is that, all together with case, it's big. Probably no bigger than an A&K though, but A&Ks are huge. Poly-Mojo would be fine around the home, but I would not take it for walks. I actually would not take my Mojo out of the house anyway, but that's another issue. .... I appreciate though that Poly-Mojo is exactly what some and many folk need. Like for travelling etc.

By the way, don't you think that Poly-Mojo (or Mojo-Poly), sounds better than Mojopoly. Mojopoly just sounds clumsy, and does not roll off the tongue. Mojopoly is even akward to say in one's own head.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #1,669 of 19,125
Haha, talk about coincidence. When I was at uni in my first year, there were campus phones put in all halls of residence. My number was 6660.

Yeah we will see how it goes. (It's actually going to be fun watching the Poly reception, reviews, and people's impressions.) I think folk will buy Poly though. Those who would have bought an A&K would probably buy the Poly Mojo. I am keen to see reviews and would have hoped to see lots by now. However I think with the Poly being shipped very soon. We will start to see reviews in the next month or two.

One other aspect that concerns me about Poly-Mojo, is that, all together with case, it's big. Probably no bigger than an A&K though, but A&Ks are huge. Poly-Mojo would be fine around the home, but I would not take it for walks. I actually would not take my Mojo out of the house anyway, but that's another issue. .... I appreciate though that Poly-Mojo is exactly what some and many folk need. Like for travelling etc.

By the way, don't you think that Poly-Mojo (or Mojo-Poly), sounds better than Mojopoly. Mojopoly just sounds clumsy, and does not roll off the tongue. Mojopoly is even akward to say in one's own head.

I think the combo should either be called just Mojo, Mogo (Mojo 2 go), or Molly (Mojo-Poly). If you haven't already noticed all the Mojo-Poly case's that have been pictured just say Mojo and nothing else :upside_down:

Jul 2, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #1,670 of 19,125

Regarding number coincidences, here's another (genuine) one, from a few days ago:

I'm waiting for the moment I have £8888 in my bank account, at which point, I will hot-foot it to the nearest Chord dealership and demand they take £8000 from me, with one hand, whilst handing me a DAVE with the other hand.

If you haven't already noticed all the Mojo-Poly case's that have been pictured just say Mojo and nothing else :upside_down:

Sounds like 'case closed', to me ;-P

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #1,671 of 19,125
t

Me too. The Poly is deliriously tempting, but the price is not.

I know the arguments for the Poly, because I have read the whole thread. However there are some features I simply would not use. Personally £500 for a card reader which can be controlled by phone, doesn't appeal at £500. (I mean wifi is by the by nowadays.) I do wonder though if I will eventually give in and buy one.

I see the point that Poly Mojo costs £900, plus a phone to run it. That it sounds better than the competition. However I would no even think of spending that money on a portable player. (For one point, if you lost it your heart would be crushed.)

For a less elegent and cheaper solution for those prepared to stack there is the £150 Cayin N3 that now can be controlled by an android phone using the new Hibylink app. My son has the N3. I was quite impressed by the implementation and speed of response of the app.
It uses BT. I think an iOS version will follow. The Android version is currently beta, but not noticed any issues.

Jul 3, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #1,673 of 19,125
Since there was still no announcement of a " Poly + " for HUGO2,.... I couldn't wait anymore and ordered a AK SP1000 SS. I decided (for once ) not to wait for the next thing to come :wink:

Now... waiting for UPS to deliver .... May be I am more waiting for UPS itself rather than the SP1000

UPS.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #1,674 of 19,125
Regarding number coincidences, here's another (genuine) one, from a few days ago:

I'm waiting for the moment I have £8888 in my bank account, at which point, I will hot-foot it to the nearest Chord dealership and demand they take £8000 from me, with one hand, whilst handing me a DAVE with the other hand.

Sounds like 'case closed', to me ;-P
The first unit from us shaped like Poly was the low cost Mojo extender unit to accomodate the CCK and the long case was originally was designed for this purpose. This was before Poly existed so that is why Poly's name is not on the case. It will be possible to include it when we next order our cases.

Jul 3, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #1,676 of 19,125
@Mojo ideas

This may sound like stupid question but will Poly support MQA? I had asked within the chord fb but no definitive answer on that yet.

I hope the delay in releasing/pr is there just to give it a support. (whether this MQA will be something to stay in the future or not but at least its in TIDAL's.)

Jul 3, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #1,678 of 19,125
@Mojo ideas

This may sound like stupid question but will Poly support MQA? I had asked within the chord fb but no definitive answer on that yet.

I hope the delay in releasing/pr is there just to give it a support. (whether this MQA will be something to stay in the future or not but at least its in TIDAL's.)
  1. TIDAL is an App, it is not a networking device or a DAC.
  2. Rob watts is no fan of MQA, and has posted that he will not incorporate it into any of his Dac designs, until it is proven to his satisfaction that it improves the sound quality. https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/c...official-thread.831345/page-231#post-13489662
  3. The poly is a chord design which does not incorporate any of Robs dac design code. So hypothetically chord could incorporate MQA functionality, but I cannot remember ever reading John Franks mention that he was a fan of MQA

Jul 3, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #1,679 of 19,125
@Mojo ideas

Yes we can play the first unpacking and it will play through Mojo,we would never implement the MQA filter design as ours is thousands of times better but as MQA just a file packing system use to compress and send large files, it would have made sense as a system up to the late nineteen nineties when bandwidth and memory capacity were severely limited., but these days people are sending really huge video files all the time with impunity which are many times larger than high res music files so we feel it's an irrelevant system. Rob Watts our Dac designer has looked at MQA and unimpressed as are certain reviewers . But as other playing format yes we can play it but we feel why would you want to when a far smaller straight CD quality 44.1kHz file would sound far better through one of our Dacs with Rob Watts design technology

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back