Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
May 23, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #1,621 of 18,801
First of all thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread so far. All 107 pages are such a fun read!

As we get closer to the release date I get more excited about Poly and will surely give it a try mainly because of the miniSD card related functionalities.

The idea about such a product is indeed brilliant and kudos to John for not just coming up with it but also for managing to materialise it in a scale-able way.

However, I cannot stop myself from having a weird feeling that certain stuff could have been handled differently and potentially a lot better.

No, I do not refer to the retail price... Imo Poly was a golden opportunity for Chord to create a market killer really. A product so powerful and agile that could instantly overtake the market regardless of price and make obsolete other similar products or even mobiles>16Gb.
I just wish Chord had used all the fantastic ideas shared by people either on this thread or on others in a much more proactive way ahead of the prototype's development and incorporate the majority of them somehow into the design.

Stuff like:
- Capability to install locally Tidal/Spotify on Poly so that SDcard can be used as offline storage
- Alternative ways to control Poly mSDcard without the need to set up personal hotspot
- 5 GHz wifi enabled
- Bluetooth 5
- Maybe SD instead of mini
- many more....

Does that mean that Poly is simply an ok product? Absolutely not, I still think it is a great step towards the right direction but somehow I cannot stop thinking about Poly 2 already (or that firmware update that magically solves everything!)
The whole point of the Poly design was to make its hardware smart and competent enough from the outset that it's capable of being continually up graded over the Internet with new features. We have achieved that aim! The first units are now close to being finished and we will be shipping very soon

May 23, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #1,622 of 18,801
The whole point of the Poly design was to make its hardware smart and competent enough from the outset that it's capable of being continually up graded over the Internet with new features. We have achieved that aim! The first units are now close to being finished and we will be shipping very soon

I had canceled my (prepaid) Preorder. But only as I didn't want the cash tied up (from Jan). Looking forward to the release. Can you give us any idea on how fast you will be able to fill the supply pipeline? Specifically likely general (non-preorder) availability I the USA or Canada. Also, when do you expect to post the user guide?

May 24, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #1,623 of 18,801
The supply list ne can only really be start to be filled from July. We are currently building the first production batch of just 250 units only. We had to limit the first batch due to the complexity and high precision of the products circuit board we also had to prove the high level production processes. However I can tell you that it all looks very good so far. These first units will be spread around our World wide distributors for them to get to grips with all that Poly can do and also key reviewers and some beta testers too. The second much larger continuous volume production will be started at the end of June.

May 24, 2017 at 7:12 AM Post #1,624 of 18,801
The supply list ne can only really be start to be filled from July. We are currently building the first production batch of just 250 units only. We had to limit the first batch due to the complexity and high precision of the products circuit board we also had to prove the high level production processes. However I can tell you that it all looks very good so far. These first units will be spread around our World wide distributors for them to get to grips with all that Poly can do and also key reviewers and some beta testers too. The second much larger continuous volume production will be started at the end of June.
It is good to see you have returned to Head-Fi and are providing feedback. I was concerned that we had driven you away, because of perceived negative comments. :)

May 30, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #1,625 of 18,801
Thanks. I am glad to hear it can be done manually. I don't trust apple and haven't updated the iOS either. The SD card is going to be a great help for us when we are away from wifi.

You know that you can't transfer Tidal files or Apple Music files, or any streaming service files to Poly and have them play right? Only files you own and have locally on you PC or Mac can transfer over. I ask because you mention in another post wanting to use Tidal and iTunes on SD card.

May 30, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #1,628 of 18,801
I think the price has been discussed before :wink:

BTW a few days after my funny side cut against Apple users I got myself a new phone... with USB C... rendering my two Forza Cables obsolete...

Just one more reason to get Poly :)

Cheers

May 30, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #1,629 of 18,801
Convenient yes, but at $629USD its not a price effective way to cut the chord

Hard to cut the 'cord' especially when that $$$ is buying you another Chord product. :grin:

May 31, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #1,630 of 18,801
You know that you can't transfer Tidal files or Apple Music files, or any streaming service files to Poly and have them play right? Only files you own and have locally on you PC or Mac can transfer over. I ask because you mention in another post wanting to use Tidal and iTunes on SD card.

Yes, but thanks for assuming I may not have known...it gets confusing and I am not tech savvy.

I'd like to keep getting downloads and eventually drop TIDAl. With a local CD shop, I can get 4 CDs per month for the same cost as well as rip CDs of family and friends. So, kinda both at first, but then SD card only

I also have some FLAC files that I will keep in storage until Poly...looking forward to its release.

also price is not looking so bad now that we know poly can be updated, as per John's post. It won't become obsolete.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 2, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #1,631 of 18,801
Hi,

I just got my Mojo and love it with my Shure 846's. Stunning audio.

Just a few questions from me as I've read 20 or so pages and can't find this..

1. Audio quality over Airplay should be pretty amazing right? How would it compare to a silver moon cable via cck? My thinking is it should be better as there's no cable getting in the way?

2. Can you connect the poly to your home network so..
- Get home
- Turn on Mojo + Poly
- Any iOS or Mac laptop sees this as an Airplay link?

Regards,
Simon

Jun 3, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #1,632 of 18,801
Audio quality over Airplay should be pretty amazing right? How would it compare to a silver moon cable via cck? My thinking is it should be better as there's no cable getting in the way?
In theory, wireless and wired audio quality should be equivalent if both are transporting bit perfect data.

However, your notion of "wireless should be better because of no cable" is incorrect in several ways.
  • Wired connections are actually higher performance than wireless —higher bandwidth, higher signal-to-noise signal, more reliable, lower error rate
  • Your conception of "no cable" isn't entirely accurate. The Poly and Mojo are connected together through their USB connectors. You could think of that connection as a 5mm long cable. Mojo uses a wired USB input. The wire is short when connected to Poly but it is not eliminated.
  • Poly adds an extra layer to the data path between the phone and Mojo. The data path between phone and Mojo is more direct through a cable. For wireless transmission, the data undergoes additional processing as it gets encoded and decoded during. It cannot be better than wired.
In the end, there should be no difference in audio quality. Poly is inserted between the phone and Mojo, and it merely passes the audio data through and shouldn't degrade it.

Jun 5, 2017 at 5:15 AM Post #1,634 of 18,801

Users who are viewing this thread

Back