Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jan 7, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #211 of 18,778
I happily own a Mojo and I was hoping for this sort of add-on, but certainly not at this price. Typically a device marketed as an add-on does not cost more than the main hardware unit, in any case that’s not the philosophy I like to apply to my purchases.

If I look at the Poly as a DAP alternative, especially after having just bought an XDP-300R, it’s hard for me to justify the purchase of a Poly.

Maybe one needs to look at it as an alternative to a microRendu, Auralic or similar products to make the price look good and palatable. Maybe the Poly will be as good as a microRendu; we’ll see what reviews have to say about how Poly affects the Mojo sound… and then, for audiophiles’ rejoice, one can also discuss how, going down the chain, music played through the MojoPoly via wifi may already be compromised by the corresponding NAS or Server storing it.

I’m out until good reviews about the Poly come out and it can be purchased for a discounted price.

Oh, and I look forward to see a new Chord “modestly-priced” protective case for the Poly and/or the MojoPoly. I’m glad I just bought a Pelican case for the mojo.

Jan 7, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #212 of 18,778
With the hopes of not starting a firestorm of responses, in my own personal purchases, I have made choices based upon a lot of factors.  One such factor is where the product has been manufactured. 

I understand, going into a product, that some locales are going to have higher labor costs.  When appropriate for me, I sometimes elect to pay more because of a locale's reputation for quality.  My car and headphones are  from Germany.  My dress shoes from England.  With temperatures that can go below -20 F, my parka is made in Canada.  My guitar is made in the US.

I use Mojo every day and I use it both stationary and mobile.  I needed it to be constructed 'like a tank' due to my use.  

Chord could have outsourced labor and likely dropped the price of Mojo and Poly.  I am just starting my 3rd year in business for myself and so at this point in life, money has not been this tight in 30 years.  This makes prioritizing even more important.  

The Poly is not cheap, and it will require saving for a few months, robbing Paul while Peter's back is turned, but I've spent the better part of 2016 so thankful for having Mojo open up my long overused music catalog that I've got little use for complaining.  

One of my wife and my 2017 New Year's Resolutions is directly from the enjoyment Chord (and Beyerdynamic) gave us this year, as we are deliberately going into new music realms that we've either neglected or ignored.  It's really exciting.  

I look forward to Poly and eventually the longer case to protect it.  From the time I put Mojo in a case until the new case, rather than see it as money ill-spent, from my own on-the-go handling, the case has helped protect it.  I take it everywhere.  

You never know when a doctor's office, for example,e  is going to make you wait, unexpectantly, and instead of burning over the delay, it is Mojo to the rescue.  

To John Franks:  Thank you so much for listening to the customers (who, like me, became fans) and moving forward with new and exciting innovations, rather than riding out your success with Mojo.    Its rare to get to communicate from a CEO, and even rarer to find one so forthcoming,  truthful and humble.  

To Rob:  Thank you for sharing the technology.  I understand about 10% of what you say, but you've deliberately dumbed down a few of your answers to help me.  I respect it.  

I can't afford Dave, but I enjoy reading about it and since one never knows what tomorrow holds...

Bob Dylan said,

"It's a perfect time for anything to happen."

I'm grateful for Mojo, its quality, where it was manufactured, and am counting the days to our first Poly.  

Jan 7, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #213 of 18,778
It doesn't matter how good the DAC is if the signal that it receives is anything but perfect.

Yes, in some respects Chord are now constrained in the short-term, by the availability of cost effective FPGA technology, when seeking to increase the number of taps their DACs can incorporate (but they could always investigate using multiple FPGA modules).

So it makes sense to devote some attention to trying to ensure that users can provide the best possible signal at the front end.
The Poly cuts the physical wired link between phone and DAC, so firstly the issue of galvanic isolation disappears, and secondly the issue of internally generated phone noise disappears - so I expect that the Poly will be a step forward, in providing better input signals. 

Jan 7, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #214 of 18,778
  With the hopes of not starting a firestorm of responses, in my own personal purchases, I have made choices based upon a lot of factors.  One such factor is where the product has been manufactured. 

I understand, going into a product, that some locales are going to have higher labor costs.  When appropriate for me, I sometimes elect to pay more because of a locale's reputation for quality.  My car and headphones are  from Germany.  My dress shoes from England.  With temperatures that can go below -20 F, my parka is made in Canada.  My guitar is made in the US.

I use Mojo every day and I use it both stationary and mobile.  I needed it to be constructed 'like a tank' due to my use.  

Chord could have outsourced labor and likely dropped the price of Mojo and Poly.  I am just starting my 3rd year in business for myself and so at this point in life, money has not been this tight in 30 years.  This makes prioritizing even more important.  

The Poly is not cheap, and it will require saving for a few months, robbing Paul while Peter's back is turned, but I've spent the better part of 2016 so thankful for having Mojo open up my long overused music catalog that I've got little use for complaining.  

One of my wife and my 2017 New Year's Resolutions is directly from the enjoyment Chord (and Beyerdynamic) gave us this year, as we are deliberately going into new music realms that we've either neglected or ignored.  It's really exciting.  

I look forward to Poly and eventually the longer case to protect it.  From the time I put Mojo in a case until the new case, rather than see it as money ill-spent, from my own on-the-go handling, the case has helped protect it.  I take it everywhere.  

You never know when a doctor's office, for example,e  is going to make you wait, unexpectantly, and instead of burning over the delay, it is Mojo to the rescue.  

To John Franks:  Thank you so much for listening to the customers (who, like me, became fans) and moving forward with new and exciting innovations, rather than riding out your success with Mojo.    Its rare to get to communicate from a CEO, and even rarer to find one so forthcoming,  truthful and humble.  

To Rob:  Thank you for sharing the technology.  I understand about 10% of what you say, but you've deliberately dumbed down a few of your answers to help me.  I respect it.  

I can't afford Dave, but I enjoy reading about it and since one never knows what tomorrow holds...

Bob Dylan said,

"It's a perfect time for anything to happen."

I'm grateful for Mojo, its quality, where it was manufactured, and am counting the days to our first Poly.  

Great post. Good luck with your business, and if your business acumen matches your pragmatism, I'm sure a Dave is in your future. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #215 of 18,778
Here is the list of features I think we know so far: correct me (nicely please) if I am mistaken.

The attempt is to isolate each feature to make assessment easier.

1. Single micro-USB port for music and power.
2. Wireless control of playback and volume from your mobile device.
3. Communication from wireless device via Bluetooth or poly's own wifi network.
4. One SD card slot of Poly-located stored content.
5. Wireless transmission of content from mobile device or desktop to Poly.
6. content transmitted wirelessly to poly can be owned stored library or downloaded and stored offline streamed content
7. Poly can transmit data via its microUSB male to any DAC , its hardware is not locked to the Mojo.
8. Poly does not include wireless transmission only reception. Therefore Bluetooth headphones must be wired to the 3.5mm Mojo output jack to receive music.
9. TIdal MQA playback is enabled without a MQA enabled DAC or Amp - not sure about this one.

Does poly really allow the volume to be controlled from the phone? (I can't when using a USB cable, have to use the mojo volume control)

Jan 7, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #216 of 18,778
I happily own a Mojo and I was hoping for this sort of add-on, but certainly not at this price. Typically a device marketed as an add-on does not cost more than the main hardware unit, in any case that’s not the philosophy I like to apply to my purchases.

You could use DSLRs as an analogy. A decent camera body can be had for a few hundred while a good lens can cost thousands.

Jan 7, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #217 of 18,778
You could use DSLRs as an analogy. A decent camera body can be had for a few hundred while a good lens can cost thousands.

Ridiculous analogy.

A camera can't work without a lens, and the manufacturing challenges of a lens far exceed the challenges of sticking some electronics in a body.

A Mojo works fine without a Poly. A Mojo is innovative and converts a variety of digital input streams into wonderful sound. A Poly is a cobbled together box that manages to connect to a Mojo by a Heath-Robinson set of dummy plugs. A Poly is an afterthought introduced to capitalise on the very successful Mojo.

Jan 7, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #218 of 18,778

Ridiculous analogy.

A camera can't work without a lens, and the manufacturing challenges of a lens far exceed the challenges of sticking some electronics in a body.

A Mojo works fine without a Poly. A Mojo is innovative and converts a variety of digital input streams into wonderful sound. A Poly is a cobbled together box that manages to connect to a Mojo by a Heath-Robinson set of dummy plugs. A Poly is an afterthought introduced to capitalise on the very successful Mojo.

The camera/lens analogy was debated to death 24 hours ago, and the conclusion was that it was not a good analogy, so please don't fall out over this issue. 
regular_smile .gif

Jan 7, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #219 of 18,778
Ridiculous analogy.

Ah, come on, stop beating around the bush and say what you really think :wink:

You're absolutely right though: the Mojo was never designed to be anything other than a DAC/Amp. It's obvious to see that from it's construction.

From an engineering perspective the Poly is very wrong in that it is anchoring itself to active and functional ports - this could very well lead to the breakage of said ports.

The Mojo was a runaway success, and I'm betting more of a runaway success that Chord thought it would be, and it's obvious that it was never designed to accept attachements. I'm not doubting the function of the Poly, but it's connection to the Mojo is one hell of a bodge job.

Jan 7, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #222 of 18,778

Welcome to the club, and I hope that you enjoy your Mojo.
Do you also follow the main Mojo thread?

I second the advice.  

It is lengthy but you've entered one hellofa party.  

The third post is frequently referenced due to its helpful categorizing of info.  

If you're a TIDAL user, have some fun with "Masters" and "The Last Waltz" ; I have never heard it sound so marvelous.  

Jan 7, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #223 of 18,778
Poly uses MPD to play files stored on the microSD card, so does anyone have any good MPD clients?

I've had a brief goole and seen a few android ones: https://docs.mopidy.com/en/latest/clients/mpd/#mpdroid and web based ones: https://docs.mopidy.com/en/latest/clients/mpd/#rompr

Even arduino ones exist, e.g. https://hackaday.com/tag/mpd/

But no-one seems to have a "definitive" one to use (maybe because the range of hosts is large - linux, windows, mac, android, ios, web, etc)

I guess most people here will want to use a bluetooth one from phone to poly?

I wonder if stand-alone bluetooth controls could be made to work with poly? https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Electronics-Photo/FAVOLCANO-Bluetooth-Button-Access-Smartphone-Iphone-Samsung/B01HEV9FR6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483814204&sr=8-1&keywords=bluetooth+media+remote

Jan 7, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #224 of 18,778
  Seeing that Poly uses DLNA, I was trying remember how it worked and I came across this: 

DLNA never caught on with the general public, and the connected home trend bypassed it completely. DLNA will become one of those zombie technologies that fades away with time.

What??  DLNA is ubiquitous, people just don't realize that's what it's called.  Anyone who uses Plex should be extremely familiar with DLNA and Plex is doing quite well these days.  I use DLNA to stream music/movies/photos to my Xbox One almost daily.  Just because the app on the Xbox is called "Media Player", doesn't mean it's not using DLNA.

I have a query..

So when i am jugging and i want to play songs from SD card, which connection will be used between Poly and Mobile ..

Is it wifi or bluetooth ?

I believe the default is BT, which uses much less power, but it has the ability to use either.

I still don't get what DLNA does to be honest.

It's a universal (i.e. free and not proprietary) protocol for streaming videos/photos/music over wireless.  Think of it like "TCP/IP": most people will give you a blank stare if you ask what it is, but everyone uses it every day.  DLNA isn't quite as ubiquitous, but you get the idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back