Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jan 7, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #196 of 18,778
With DLNA, by wifi the files stored on my tv, on PC , on each smartphone, on the usb key on my blueray player Oppo and on a " WD my passport wireless hard drive" are accessible for each equipement.
So actually, with the App "usb audio player pro" and "bubble upnp" i can exchange data by new ways.
one example. i can play Qobuz on my Oppo bueray player that can do it with its firmware. I connect Qobuz on my smartphone and bubble upnp on my smartphone commands my Oppo. So with the optical output connected to my Mojo i stream 24 bits 192khz from Qobuz.

Jan 7, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #197 of 18,778
I was against this initially but if this can act as a source for my Singxer SU-1 to feed my Spring DAC and then act as a source for my Mojo on the go it may have a home at my house. I too was looking at ways to stop using my main computer as a source. Ways like microrendu, Mac mini and Auralic Aries but if this sounds like a better fit at a better price point than the previously mentioned crowd. We'll see what the sound quality reviews have to say first though...

Jan 7, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #198 of 18,778
So with the Poly and the a "WD My passport Wireless HD 2T", a smartphone Samsung with the App bubble upnp and an App Upnp renderer, i will play all my music everywhere. The app Usb Audio player is Upnp renderer and works with equalizer.
As soon as possible, if necessary, i will contact the developper.
But the chord application would be Upnp renderer.
Who dreams about that in 2015?
Me, when my steps cross the way of Chord." DSX1000" since 2012 is DLNA so all the news chord streamer should be DLNA.
18 months is a very little period for a so big step.

Jan 7, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #199 of 18,778
I'm also warming up the idea of buying a Poly... What I wonder is, and I hope someone at Chord replies, will the sound quality be as good as wired? If yes, Poly might be the best new thing in audio.

Jan 7, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #200 of 18,778
Good point about just buying a phone with an SD Slot - £500 is a lot of money. And as for streaming at home, you could put JRemote on the phone and stream to it from JRiver in at least cd quality, or use PlugPlayer as a DLNA renderer, and connect the phone to your mojo, so still struggling to see that this is the best way to spend £500.

Jan 7, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #201 of 18,778
Good point about just buying a phone with an SD Slot - £500 is a lot of money. And as for streaming at home, you could put JRemote on the phone and stream to it from JRiver in at least cd quality, or use PlugPlayer as a DLNA renderer, and connect the phone to your mojo, so still struggling to see that this is the best way to spend £500.

edited....

Andrew, I apologize.

my reply was for a different post about the sound quality of Poly versus cabled sound quality.

Corrected below.

Jan 7, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #202 of 18,778
  I'm also warming up the idea of buying a Poly... What I wonder is, and I hope someone at Chord replies, will the sound quality be as good as wired? If yes, Poly might be the best new thing in audio.

Same question here.  Music lover and audiophile always don't mind paying more for higher audio quality.  And it seems not worth that much for convenience only.

Jan 7, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #203 of 18,778
  I still don't get what DLNA does to be honest.

DLNA is pretty cool.  Here's a quick reference: http://www.techradar.com/news/digital-home/home-networking/dlna-what-it-is-and-what-you-need-to-know-1079015

Whoa, have you actually read the news?  It said: "[color=rgba(26, 26, 26, 0.701961)]DLNA has achieved its mission, changing how consumers live, work and play..." and it continued with "nearly 4 billion units certified..." -- I wouldn't say "never caught on..." based on those. [/color]

[color=rgba(26, 26, 26, 0.701961)]My interpretation is as advertised: that DLNA now ceases to be (a non-profit) and that SpireSpark takes on the job, most likely "for-profit".[/color]

LOL, SpireSpark will be doing custodial grunt paperwork. They disbanded the group because it no longer serves any purpose and members had no interest in DLNA2, and there will be no further development. You don't see this sort of thing happening to the USB or Bluetooth industry groups.

DLNA is in a lot of products that have been widely distributed (like TVs and cellphones), but how many consumers actually use it or even know what it is? Personally I don't know anybody (literally not a single person) who uses DLNA — and this is in Silicon Valley. I only know about DLNA because I'm an engineer and I actually worked on some DLNA software for a product, otherwise I doubt I would have come across it. If you mention USB or WiFi in public, people know what you are talking about. DLNA – they'll respond with a blank stare.

DLNA not that known with your peers in Silicon Valley?  Ouch!  We are a niched minority indeed! 
biggrin.gif

I agree that DLNA is not "known" by the public, but I must say that they're probably already "surrounded" by it.  I think there's already at least 1 DLNA-compatible device for every networked household.  In my house alone, there are already 9 users of DLNA but 8 of them don't know what it is.  All they know is that there's a "server" in the network for our media that they can access using their TVs, laptops, tablets, or smartphones.  And when I play my DLNA-hosted lossless music files (on another device) thru my iPhone -> Mojo -> loudspeakers and they dance to the beat, they don't care if the music is from a DLNA server or Spotify - they just enjoy the music.  And they also enjoy Mojo's colored power ball changing based on the sampling rate of the music.  So that's 1 person who knows DLNA and 8 others who enjoy it's benefits.

I could say the same with Airplay (a DLNA "equivalent" for Apple devices), not many of my friends who use Macs or iDevices knows about it.  But once they do, they now use it too.  

About the "blank stare": I think the reason for such is that DLNA is not in the "forefront" of usage but rather on the "back-end" type, somewhere hidden (and in fact optional) that the users only interacts with the compatible interface.  It also needs a lot of marketing regarding practical uses.  But as you said, it's different with WiFi, Bluetooth, and USB which are termed appropriately because users have direct interaction with them.  And these are necessary in the operation of the devices whereas the DLNA-stuff is optional on an as-needed basis.  Does the public need to know there's a DLNA-thing in the background?  I think so.  

Here's a thought:  If you tell a household that their DLNA-compatible wireless router can host their media files (example: pictures/videos of family outings and vacations) so they don't need to copy them from their laptops/smartphones to USB external drives to watch on their already DLNA-compatible TVs - and that their DLNA-compatible devices in the network can access those media files - for free - I bet they will want to do it.  Please tell them it's DLNA-compatibility. 
wink_face.gif

I think DLNA/Airplay are here to stay for a bit longer.  They're part of the streaming stack for a local/home network.  So it's going to be a challenging task for Chord/John/Jude to "evangelize" us with Poly's DLNA/Airplay use cases so we don't end up belonging to the "public".  Can't wait for the video.  :)

I'm not keen on purchasing Poly just yet coz I still cannot afford it - but knowing that it has DLNA and Airplay compatibility, Bluetooth, SD card module, and can act as a WiFi hub is pretty awesome and have started to "excite" me again.  I won't need those bands and CCK cable anymore!  My wife?  She thinks deeply of my pocket with a frown on her face knowing that I might be purchasing another "gadget" again. LOL 
atsmile.gif

Jan 7, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #204 of 18,778
After having calmed down from the initial shock and awe of the Poly as well as the impressive price tag that comes with it, here's my take on it.

Given that the Poly isn't tied down to any particular device (even though it's design suggests a Mojo companion module), I think Chord could've marketed and introduced Poly in a different way.
Here's what I think should have happened; Chord introduced a revolutionary streaming module no bigger than the Mojo. This device connects via USB to any device and is battery powered. As a bonus, there's a segment that opens up to reveal a direct attachment to the Mojo! How cool is that!
They could've even hired Piko Taro to do a Chord rendition of his hit.........I have a Poly......I have a Mojo.......urrghh.......MojoPoly!
That's just my imagination of how I think Poly should have been marketed.

But in reality, what happened was that the original tease was an SD card module (without anything else teased). This tease would then form the basis of the hype train that has led to the current derailment and disappointment. Of course with the speculation over the previous months leading to the reveal, it would definitely have thus caused this very scenario.

Of course the above is purely my opinion and even though I may not afford the Poly at launch, it is still a fantastic piece of hardware that has been milled to fit into the size that's no bigger than the Mojo. Now that is engineering.

Cheers.

Jan 7, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #205 of 18,778
That's been John's point and why he has asked some to reserve justice until it's out, handled, and reviewed. This is a Chord product and dedicated to musical excellence.

Even those upset about pricing recognize that it's likely to blow us away with sound quality.

If it makes a mojo sound better an awful lot of mojo owners will be really annoyed; the claim has been that mojo is not significantly affected by noise from devices like phones. Are you saying that now, after all, the mojo is source sensitive, so doesn't really work properly with mobile phones at all? The same bits should sound the same whether they get to a mojo via USB from a phone or from a poly.

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #206 of 18,778
If it makes a mojo sound better an awful lot of mojo owners will be really annoyed; the claim has been that mojo is not significantly affected by noise from devices like phones. Are you saying that now, after all, the mojo is source sensitive, so doesn't really work properly with mobile phones at all? The same bits should sound the same whether they get to a mojo via USB from a phone or from a poly.

The claim was that the Mojo is unaffected by jitter, and RFI;
With those sources of noise removed, the Mojo is still affected (like all other DACs) with the noise of pauses to the stream of music data from the phone. The root causes can be difficult to pin down, but are usually reported to relate to operating system settings/priorities, screen refreshes, etc.

When using the Poly, the phone is removed as the source of the music stream, so all this residual noise should be removed - I hope that when using the SD card, there should be no background noise. Overall, this is one reason why the sound from the Mojo could improve.

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #207 of 18,778

That's been John's point and why he has asked some to reserve judgement until it's out, handled, and reviewed.  This is a Chord product and dedicated to musical excellence.  
Even those upset about pricing recognize that it's likely to blow us away with sound quality.

Jan 7, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #208 of 18,778
Here is the list of features I think we know so far: correct me (nicely please) if I am mistaken.

The attempt is to isolate each feature to make assessment easier.

1. Single micro-USB port for music and power.
2. Wireless control of playback and volume from your mobile device.
3. Communication from wireless device via Bluetooth or poly's own wifi network.
4. One SD card slot of Poly-located stored content.
5. Wireless transmission of content from mobile device or desktop to Poly.
6. content transmitted wirelessly to poly can be owned stored library or downloaded and stored offline streamed content
7. Poly can transmit data via its microUSB male to any DAC , its hardware is not locked to the Mojo.
8. Poly does not include wireless transmission only reception. Therefore Bluetooth headphones must be wired to the 3.5mm Mojo output jack to receive music.
9. TIdal MQA playback is enabled without a MQA enabled DAC or Amp - not sure about this one.

Jan 7, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #209 of 18,778
Interested to learn more about Poly and Chord's intended uses and applications...and what creative ways first-adopters find to apply it to their rigs.  I think I'm halfway through a rig evolution myself, having just added Mojo to my 240, and considering other changes.

Although I don't want to start any sort of intrigue, when I look at the form/size and function, I can't help but think that in some ways the Mojo/Poly combo kinda fits into some of the same function as the Aurender Flow. They share a few similar concepts with the big difference of wireless vs. wired. Many other differences of course, but John mentioned that Chord believes in having the phone/tablet or other computing screen be the interface instead of having the interface built onto the audio products--and that's the big bracket the Flow falls into: "bring your own screen to the party." 

Jan 7, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #210 of 18,778
The claim was that the Mojo is unaffected by jitter, and RFI;
With those sources of noise removed, the Mojo is still affected (like all other DACs) with the noise of pauses to the stream of music data from the phone. The root causes can be difficult to pin down, but are usually reported to relate to operating system settings/priorities, screen refreshes, etc.

When using the Poly, the phone is removed as the source of the music stream, so all this residual noise should be removed - I hope that when using the SD card, there should be no background noise. Overall, this is one reason why the sound from the Mojo could improve.

I'm not technically skilled in any way. And maby it's all in my mind.
I believe that my ifi USB 3.0 makes a difference.
I think that we in the future will here more about what happens before the DAC.

Maybe that discussion have been a little shadowed by focus on DAC performance. And Chords DAC performance has reached the level where the technic puts the limit. And until new technology comes pre DAC will have a little more focus.

It doesn't matter how good the DAC is if the signal that it receives is anything but perfect.

Just some thoughts from me. Not saying that it is the truth :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back