Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jan 13, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #766 of 19,125

will the poly module work on this new hugo?

It will get its own

Great  
biggrin.gif
 but.... WHEN ? 

LOL - let's give them a chance to get Mojos Poly completed, first, eh?
wink.gif

www.head-fi.org/t/791531/dx200-details-of-design-features-and-specifications-on-1st-page-updated-12-17-2016/2205#post_13155985

Jan 13, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #767 of 19,125
Question to Chord re Roon Ready:

Chord has stated that poly is Roon ready. On the Roon website I found this information regarding Roon Ready network players.

Quoted from Roon website:

"Roon Ready network players from our partners have Roon’s high-resolution streaming technology built right in.

Roon will discover them on your network, deliver the highest possible quality audio, and even allow volume control right from the Roon user interface!"

From this my understanding would be that Roon will recognize Poly as an endpoint and allow me to stream everything in my local library to Poly including Tidal. This certainly would satisfy my at home requirements.

My question to Chord is am I correct with that assumption?

Of course, like others, I'm awaiting information on if and how to stream offline tidal content from my phone to poly when I'm away from home.

Jan 13, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #768 of 19,125
So it sounds like another streaming option is investigated by Chord... hope it is DDMS...

Jan 13, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #769 of 19,125
If you are using a phone to control the Mojo/Poly*, will you be able to EQ when playing back a track from the MP's mSD card? On the surface, it doesn't seem likely, but it might be possible given the processing power in the Poly.

I really hope that Chord can include that capability. But I really hope for a lot of things...

* "moe-JOP-ah-lee"??

Jan 13, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #770 of 19,125
    Great  
biggrin.gif
 but.... WHEN ? 

Give chord a bit of breathing space.

Also remember that Hugo 2 will already contain some of the poly functionality, so you don't want a pure poly clone.
Let's face it, you will already be able to use the poly with the Hugo2 (plus a usb cable), so the poly2 will need to offer some additional functionality to give it a 'unique selling point'.

But that leaves plenty of options, if the poly 2 case is large enough, and you only want to use the hugo2 in desktop mode. Just imagine what chord could add, if they are given a little time:
  1. multiple sd cards or ssd drives
  2. hardware EQ
  3. davina-lite capability
  4. etc, etc

The chord team are a very creative/inventive group of engineers, so give them a challenging wish list, and maybe some of your wishes will be included within Poly2. 
wink.gif

Jan 13, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #771 of 19,125
It doesn't state what the output support is ?? With the Chromcast Audio its 24/96 max. I still can't get my head around these. When connected from optical to the Mojo would they bypass their own internal DAC's?

Yes. Optical is a digital transport, the output of a Digital-to-Analog-Converter is analog. So optical must necessarily bypass the internal DAC.

Again, you can't "double DAC" because the input to a DAC must always be digital.

Jan 13, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #772 of 19,125
Although I am out of the market, for now with the Poly, for a number of reasons. I still wonder many things about it, even though I have a basic grasp of what it does. (Even excluding stuff like, I'd never heard of Roon before this.)

One thing that worries me is the connection between the Mojo and Poly, and the new case. I just don't see it being secure unless the case has a firm back-plate. Of course it's very possible I am wrong, but I would not even consider purchase until it was proven. I don't see how a leather case would support the Mojo poly connection. Pressure at each end would apply firmness across the connection. (Meaning pulling the two modules together.) However in my mind it would not take much pressure even with the case on, to bend Mojo Poly. Therefor to me it's not a portable viability, in my current thought process.

However this doesn't matter because I never intend to use my Mojo out and about. Therefor to have a Poly for home use is not really economically viable. I'm going to be happy with a USB cable from transport to Mojo.) I don't do wifi, or even smartphones yet, or smart TV, (a smart hack-able TV lol). (Give me a break, I don't even have TV with me being British.)

I just want a cheapish HD-DAP or a budget (HD-audio) smart-phone as a file transport. I won't be steaming from anything coz I don't stream yet. If I ever will stream it's not going to be a paid service, (and never JayZ's Tidal.) If I want to audition an album I will do it on Youtube, then buy it. Or I might join a free streamer. Not that I'd be connecting a Poly to it.

However having said all that, I think I can see why the Poly is a good buy for some folk. Even with the inclusion of a smartphone to control the PolyMojo, it's cheaper than an A&K. Then again I never understood why anyone would part with £1K to £2K for an A&K. Just throwing money away to my mind.

Jan 13, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #773 of 19,125
Again, you can't "double DAC" because the input to a DAC must always be digital.

I could just see the HF crowd going wild over "double DAC-ing", "for that extra sweet analogue sound" haha

Jan 13, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #778 of 19,125
Yes, you can double dac if you use an ADC...

Oh wow never thought of that. So you can get the depth of a Mojo combined width the width of an ESS glarezilla DAC?! Amazing!

Jan 13, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #779 of 19,125
just like to check two basic points

do all chargers automatically switch off once the mojo becomes fully charged? assuming the mojo is off while charging.

does anyone have experience of intona plus mojo especially SQ improvement here? would this be the only way to fully provide galvanic isolation to the mojo to include usb 2.0 high speed and is this necessary or overkill?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back