Chord Anni
Oct 31, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #361 of 564
Good to hear love for Hugo 2 and Qutest. (Agree with you.)

That album you mentioned is great so far. Playing from Youtube.

Glad you like it. Here is great jazz piano record:

Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio Autumn in Seatle​

Another record by already mentioned Guy Buttery - it is a very different from Live in Lisbon - but it is great test for instrument separation IMHO.

Oct 31, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #362 of 564
Just picked up a Chord Anni. Decided my Qutest plus Mcintosh MHA200 were taking up too much space on my desk and I wanted something more compact. I'm also waiting on the stand system to come in (as overpriced as they are) so that I can make a nice little neat stack on my desk.
Currently using Meze Empyrean headphones which are relatively easy to drive, so my only complaint is that you have very little wiggle room on the volume knob. I actually have the same complaint about the MHA200, with the edge going to the Anni volume knob. Either way there are definitely better volume knobs out there, with my previous SPL Phonitor being one example of what I think a great volume knob should be. Otherwise my first impressions are very positive, I can't tell much difference in amplification between the two amps despite one being a tube amp, both sound great.

Nov 1, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #363 of 564

Today at the Dutch Audio Event I visited the Chord room: @#&# room of the show.

Some low efficient Totems sounding really bad with some really bad loud music. Such a missed opportunity.

Well... the Anni stack is cute, to bad I couldn't listen to it properly with headphones and some decent speakers (proper setup with decent music).

Everytime the Chord room is a mess. It deserves better.
Brilliant idea to put both the record player, the laptop and the speakers on the same table!
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #367 of 564
According to Headfonia, the Anni is anything but neutral :)
Hi again, sorry but I just could not resist following up on the brilliant idea topic. I also wonder how brilliant the ida of a fan in an amp really is?
My only personal experience of a dedicated HI FI product with a fan apart from a not so dedicated laptop and iMac of course, was the OPPO 105D multi format player which I had on home loan over night once, only to return it next day.
That was a noisy fan!
As far as Anni is concerned I will of course take a listen to it when an opportunity to do so arrives. But I do no expect any miracles SQ wise.
I did in fact see a Benchmark HGC on sale second hand today for about 350€.
Now that is a both very transparent and neutral amp with very low distortion and 126dB SNR which I use with my Qutest when listening via headphones.
And it is also a headphone amp I have seen in use heard both micfeed and DXD recorded material via at classical music recording sessions.

Not much to attract the eye of the beholder.But for those who need fancy looks together with possibly some of the lowest distortion and other SOTA measurements they also have a newer bigger amp with a touch screen to attract those who need really fancy looks.
Not as many BRIGHT COLOURED shiny lights as the newest Chord rack combo on display here though.

Buy all of that and one won´t even need to buy a Christmas tree this season.

Ps. Nice to note that we at least partly seem to agree on the definition of the term "colouration" in a HIFI context.
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #368 of 564
Colour the way the musician and artist paints......

Nov 1, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #369 of 564
Hi again, sorry but I just could not resist following up on the brilliant idea topic. I also wonder how brilliant the ida of a fan in an amp really is?
My only personal experience of a dedicated HI FI product with a fan apart from a not so dedicated laptop and iMac of course, was the OPPO 105D multi format player which I had on home loan over night once, only to return it next day.
That was a noisy fan!
As far as Anni is concerned I will of course take a listen to it when an opportunity to do so arrives. But I do no expect any miracles SQ wise.
I did in fact see a Benchmark HGC on sale second hand today for about 350€.
Now that is a both very transparent and neutral amp with very low distortion and 126dB SNR which I use with my Qutest when listening via headphones.
And it is also a headphone amp I have seen in use heard both micfeed and DXD recorded material via at classical music recording sessions.

Not much to attract the eye of the beholder.But for those who need fancy looks together with possibly some of the lowest distortion and other SOTA measurements they also have a newer bigger amp with a touch screen to attract those who need really fancy looks.
Not as many BRIGHT COLOURED shiny lights as the newest Chord rack combo on display here though.

Buy all of that and one won´t even need to buy a Christmas tree this season.

Ps. Nice to note that we at least partly seem to agree on the definition of the term "colouration" in a HIFI context.
Cheers CC
It's funny, I'm arguing with you about a bit of coloration, and with the whole LCD-5 thread about not wanting to color my headphones with EQ and targeting a neutral response :)

Nov 2, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #370 of 564
It's funny, I'm arguing with you about a bit of coloration, and with the whole LCD-5 thread about not wanting to color my headphones with EQ and targeting a neutral response :)
And you have the more transparent dac than I have,but I am the one arguing for the need of transparency and neutrality in HI FI products.
The main reason I do not own a DAVE is its imo way too high price and its Achilles heel not enough power or current for some demanding headphones when used with an Mscaler.
In real HIFI terms it is undoubtedly a better even more resolving and transparent dac than my Qutest and in my experience it is probably about as digital gets when used with an Mscaler.
Funny how we got into this discussion. Catchword " too neutral".
Cheers CC

Nov 2, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #371 of 564
And you have the more transparent dac than I have,but I am the one arguing for the need of transparency and neutrality in HI FI products.
The main reason I do not own a DAVE is its imo way too high price and its Achilles heel not enough power or current for some demanding headphones when used with an Mscaler.
In real HIFI terms it is undoubtedly a better even more resolving and transparent dac than my Qutest and in my experience it is probably about as digital gets when used with an Mscaler.
Funny how we got into this discussion. Catchword " too neutral".
Cheers CC
I fully agree with you, our difference is probably just semantics. The point of contention is does neutral mean accurate, natural sound? if so we're fully agreed, that's what i'm after.. If neutral means some graph .... measurements depend on a lot of things.

Nov 4, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #373 of 564
Glad you like it. Here is great jazz piano record:

Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio Autumn in Seatle​

Another record by already mentioned Guy Buttery - it is a very different from Live in Lisbon - but it is great test for instrument separation IMHO.

Thank you for your recomendations. I have been hankering for some new music, because I have not bought any new stuff for quite while. I don't have a big collection so am always hoping to come across new stuff I like.

Nov 5, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #375 of 564
I for one found the headphonia review confusing to say the least…I have not yet received my LCD-5 so I cannot comment on it as of yet but according to several people whose ears I trust the LCD-5 and the headphonis review are worlds apart….as far as the anni goes I have been using it thus far with my stealth and it is a superb combo IMHO…the stealth is far more difficult to drive than I thought it would be and the anni drives it brilliantly with little effort out of the Hugo 2…..I am doubtful it will drive the susvara as well as the 13r but am sure it will drive them reasonably well….in terms of the formula s combo it is my go to with the abyss TC but I am sure the anni will do a fine job with it….as I said, I LOVE the anni for its form factor and ability to travel with me giving me desktop performance while on the road
As a fellow Sus+Bakoon owner, and also owning a Qutest, would love to hear what you think of Anni + Sus is like compared to Bakoon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back