Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
May 29, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #5,461 of 6,290
I recall someone from Chord saying earlier that the majority of owners don't have issues. It's not surprising that much of the discussion in the thread is amongst people who do have problems.

Personally, I think Chord shouldn't have added any playback functionality from the GoFigure app at all (at least until it could have been developed properly). People tend to just a product by what is worst about it, and from my perspective, it's that.
I must confess that I am surprised and even somewhat disappointed that, even after all the posts here about problems with playlists, Chord (or their s/w devs) seem to have tripped up on virtually the first stumbling block with the new gofigure playlist functionalities.

This forum has contributions from people with extensive technical expertise and others who have fought hard to find good solutions to tricky technical problems and shared their knowledge to the benefit of us all. Agreed there are some fairly awful posts but this is the internet and we all have to roll with that. That's no reason to chuck the baby out with its bathwater.

This forum should be being read by the Chord devs and appreciated as a valuable testing and analysis resource. It does not seem to be.

The playlist problems with diacritic marks and characters which have special meaning in file pathnames have been well documented here a considerable time ago. If the devs had searched this thread for "playlist" they would have quickly gleaned valuable information.

It is therefore a shame that the "build playlists" function in gofigure crashes and burns at the first sign of an accent.

May 29, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #5,462 of 6,290
This forum should be being read by the Chord devs and appreciated as a valuable testing and analysis resource. It does not seem to be.
It would be pretty dang sad if not, or quite arrogant if they were taking our comments in vain. We've essentially paid $1300 for the privilege to be guinea pigs, because it's completely obvious that they did not test the product to degree you should before release.

To me, there's no excuse for not having caught the pops/clicks problem before release. It shows that their testing practices aren't up to snuff.

May 30, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #5,466 of 6,290
Does 2goyu works only connected to power outlet or it can be battery powered also from 2 go?
According to what find, 5V and 1A minimum is required for power "through 2go", so it definitely requires a power adaptor connected to the 2go.

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #5,467 of 6,290
So...

It was a beautiful day today and I was out and about with the Hugo 2go.

I was using my phone as a WiFi hot-spot and controlling the rig using BubbleUPnP. For a while now this has worked well with no problems.

For an hour or so everything was fine.

Then, for no apparent reason, no more than two tracks would play before playback stopped. I realised that this was because the WiFi connection between my phone and the 2go was being lost.

I have battery optimisation on my phone for BubbleUPnP switched off and the app locked so the phone can't shut it down. As I said, this has not been a problem before.

Soon, a state was reached where gofigure would not detect the WiFi from my phone, but I could still connect with Bluetooth. BubbleUPnP does not work over Bluetooth.

Then things deteriorated to the point that gofigure would see the 2go but when I tried to connect the wheel never stopped spinning.

A few retries later gofigure would not even pretend to see the Bluetooth connection.

I had to extract the Hugo2go from the case to that I could access the little black button to restart the 2go.

After it had restarted and I had then restarted the whole rig things came back to normal.

This whole situation just came out of the blue. I was not doing anything either with the Hugo2go, my phone, gofigure, or BubbleUPnP.

Yesterday I was out for hours using the devices in exactly the same way and it was totally fine.

It is just baffling how the device can go sideways like this seemingly at random.

May 30, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #5,468 of 6,290
Ok so I’ve an update for anyone interested in my issues since I purchased the Hugo2 and 2Go.
The 2Go suffered issues between not being seen on MConnect or 8Player and also then when it did see it, playback suffered serious stuttering. I was running Ubiquiti with speeds of 200 mbps+ and installed by my company IT team.
The settings were all checked for me again today before we started stripping everything out, that nothing was blocking uPnP and DLNA which after checking it wasn’t, 192KHZ was impossible to play when finally connected and even switching Ubiquity off and going back to Virgins own Hub 3.0 it still struggled.
I really was pulling my hair out as I really love this device and why I’ve persevered so much.
My other devices were ok Including my B&W formation speakers (although originally another long day with B&W support team, who didn’t realise the speakers would connect to 5ghz when they should only Mesh together on 5ghz and only work off 2.4ghz. Once latched on they would never reconnect, I believe I was a guinea pig in this scenario so I’ve not had a lot of luck with my audio journey).
Today we turned off both Virgin and also Ubiquiti set ups and installed a TPLink M4 3 mesh system which was £120 on Amazon and then reconnected my whole household, 23 devices and left the 2Go till last to real world test it with everything running.

TP-Link Deco M4 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System, Up to 4000 sq ft Coverage, Qualcomm CPU, Dual-Band AC1200 with Gigabit Ports, Compatible with Amazon Echo/Alexa, Parent Control, Pack of 3 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NH1J...abc_ESMQS9FY8DRQSCF7AK2E?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It found it instantly and I’ve streamed 192 files for over an hour without any stuttering.
This small white box has given me a glimmer of hope…

EDFC9D47-D4A5-4CAD-9FC2-FF25A32E2284.jpeg

The downside of this is, I’m still totally lost why Virgins own router and hub and also Ubiquiti system both failed to work with the 2Go?
Can I be that unlucky that something somewhere is blocking the signal or a setting is stopping the 2Go from working, most people pay for Virgin,‘won’t even know how to adjust settings and just expect everything to work.
I suppose for me, it’s been an exhausting journey, I can’t state the 2Go was faulty because it works, but I’m un sure if it needs to be seated on a perfect system, in a perfect position with a perfect line of site or if I’m just unlucky.
I’m glad it’s solved, and glad the transitions not been too painful with all devices.
I love it, I love its sound and hopefully now I can start to really enjoy it.
Interesting, I too am using TP-Link deco from the start and have very little to no issues with 2go. Maybe the developers have not tested the 2go with a wide variety of scenarios in wifi setups.

May 31, 2021 at 2:07 AM Post #5,469 of 6,290
So...

It was a beautiful day today and I was out and about with the Hugo 2go.

I was using my phone as a WiFi hot-spot and controlling the rig using BubbleUPnP. For a while now this has worked well with no problems.

For an hour or so everything was fine.

Then, for no apparent reason, no more than two tracks would play before playback stopped. I realised that this was because the WiFi connection between my phone and the 2go was being lost.

I have battery optimisation on my phone for BubbleUPnP switched off and the app locked so the phone can't shut it down. As I said, this has not been a problem before.

Soon, a state was reached where gofigure would not detect the WiFi from my phone, but I could still connect with Bluetooth. BubbleUPnP does not work over Bluetooth.

Then things deteriorated to the point that gofigure would see the 2go but when I tried to connect the wheel never stopped spinning.

A few retries later gofigure would not even pretend to see the Bluetooth connection.

I had to extract the Hugo2go from the case to that I could access the little black button to restart the 2go.

After it had restarted and I had then restarted the whole rig things came back to normal.

This whole situation just came out of the blue. I was not doing anything either with the Hugo2go, my phone, gofigure, or BubbleUPnP.

Yesterday I was out for hours using the devices in exactly the same way and it was totally fine.

It is just baffling how the device can go sideways like this seemingly at random.
Steve, you location is London so I assume you were walking through a busy area perhaps all the other Wifi networks made it difficult for the 2Go to see the phone's hotspot. Its the closest network to you physically but probably quite low powered.

My setup changes all the time but I do use one of these currently, which I suspect gives a stronger wifi signal than my phone's hotspot, also no pops and clicks with this device but >96khz doesn't work.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KF93DFH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are plenty of mobile hotspot devices that take a SIM card available, they are very compact and light too, so easy to put in the same bag with my Hugo2 with 2Go.

For the SIM to go in this device I have a second, cheapest option available line on my account with only 250MB of data but I can "gift" data to this hotspot line from my main account at up to 155GB a month which is plenty for my use.

May 31, 2021 at 3:20 AM Post #5,470 of 6,290
Steve, you location is London so I assume you were walking through a busy area perhaps all the other Wifi networks made it difficult for the 2Go to see the phone's hotspot. Its the closest network to you physically but probably quite low powered.

My setup changes all the time but I do use one of these currently, which I suspect gives a stronger wifi signal than my phone's hotspot, also no pops and clicks with this device but >96khz doesn't work.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KF93DFH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are plenty of mobile hotspot devices that take a SIM card available, they are very compact and light too, so easy to put in the same bag with my Hugo2 with 2Go.

For the SIM to go in this device I have a second, cheapest option available line on my account with only 250MB of data but I can "gift" data to this hotspot line from my main account at up to 155GB a month which is plenty for my use.
Nice try, and I truly appreciate you getting in there and trying to understand this 😀 but...

I was alone in a park.

The Hugo2go was hanging at my right hip, the phone was in my jeans left front pocket so they were very close.

I was playing music, as I always do, from the sd cards in the 2go. The phone was not streaming audio data but was merely acting as a remote control.

The issue I described not only involved the WiFi but spread also to the Bluetooth connection.

Everything was fixed by forcing the 2go to restart.

So the episode is still a mystery.

May 31, 2021 at 3:54 AM Post #5,471 of 6,290
Nice try, and I truly appreciate you getting in there and trying to understand this 😀 but...

I was alone in a park.

The Hugo2go was hanging at my right hip, the phone was in my jeans left front pocket so they were very close.

I was playing music, as I always do, from the sd cards in the 2go. The phone was not streaming audio data but was merely acting as a remote control.

The issue I described not only involved the WiFi but spread also to the Bluetooth connection.

Everything was fixed by forcing the 2go to restart.

So the episode is still a mystery.
Its odd indeed. :wink:

I automatically assumed you were streaming because that's what I usually do, but I do play stuff from the cards too, again using the portable hotspot but in that scenario there is obviously very little data being transferred over 4G, only checking emails etc on the phone.

Playing music from the cards is very reliable for me too and then of course there is no 96Khz "brick wall", currently I'm listening to The Commodores @ 192khz 24bit and mconnect is reporting 5875Kbps. The longest uninterrupted listening session with that setup has been around 3 hours.

It would be interesting to prove if a mobile hotspot fixes your disconnect issue, if I'm ever down in London I will look out for you and loan you mine. You should be easy to spot, the bloke with the 50L backpack just for audio gear, like me. :)

May 31, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #5,472 of 6,290
Another 10-hour indexing job to report!

Forum regulars might recall that once the 1.5 firmware update appeared several of us encountered unduly-long indexing times - 10 hours in my case. Well, it's happened again… I had copied ca. 1 GB of music (3 CDs worth) to my 512 GB SD card (200 GB free B.T.W.) and inserted the card back into the 2Go. That was at 10 a.m. Now, 10 hours later, I saw that the coloured lights were still flashing away on the 2Go and GoFigure claimed that the card was being indexed. On launching Mconnect, I saw that barely any music was visible; that changed when I turned the Hugo 2 on (it had "gone to sleep" during the indexing process), and the indexing is now proceeding much faster…

So - in my case at least - there seems to be a correlation between indexing performance and whether or not the Hugo 2 is awake. I can't imagine why this should be so, but unless the system is stuck in some kind of index-and-re-index loop, it would appear that it stalls, and powering up the Hugo 2 somehow kicks it back into action? Bizarre…

May 31, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #5,473 of 6,290
Another 10-hour indexing job to report!

Forum regulars might recall that once the 1.5 firmware update appeared several of us encountered unduly-long indexing times - 10 hours in my case. Well, it's happened again… I had copied ca. 1 GB of music (3 CDs worth) to my 512 GB SD card (200 GB free B.T.W.) and inserted the card back into the 2Go. That was at 10 a.m. Now, 10 hours later, I saw that the coloured lights were still flashing away on the 2Go and GoFigure claimed that the card was being indexed. On launching Mconnect, I saw that barely any music was visible; that changed when I turned the Hugo 2 on (it had "gone to sleep" during the indexing process), and the indexing is now proceeding much faster…

So - in my case at least - there seems to be a correlation between indexing performance and whether or not the Hugo 2 is awake. I can't imagine why this should be so, but unless the system is stuck in some kind of index-and-re-index loop, it would appear that it stalls, and powering up the Hugo 2 somehow kicks it back into action? Bizarre…
I experienced the same, both Hugo and 2GO must be on to have smooth indexing.

May 31, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #5,474 of 6,290
Hugo 2 Sleep Kills Indexing

I think I understand what's happening with my 10-hour (plus) indexing times on the 2Go. All starts well: I copy new music to the SD card, insert it into the 2Go and indexing starts. Unfortunately, after 10 minutes, the Hugo 2 turns itself off. That then cancels the indexing - but the 2Go still thinks it's indexing and its multi-coloured lights continue to flash, without anything actually happening.

I was able to monitor the indexing using Mconnect. With the Hugo 2 turned on (all lights lit up), indexing proceeded fairly rapidly and after ca. 10 minutes I had 48 composers indexed - I was down to Mendelssohn. Then there was a click, and the Hugo 2 turned itself off. Mconnect then couldn't see any music. Returning to GoFigure I was told that "No DAC Available":-

IMG_7164.PNG

I then turned the Hugo 2 back on by pressing its power button, switched back to Mconnect and saw my music start to reappear.

So, in summary:

- it would appear that one has to have the Hugo 2 physically powered on with all its lights showing, for indexing to work.
- if Hugo 2 turns itself off, then indexing stops and any existing albums are gone

Users with smaller music collections will probably be fine - but for those of us with extended collections (I have ca. 350 GB of music, saved as FLAC files), there's the danger of losing everything when Hugo 2 sleeps.

May 31, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #5,475 of 6,290
Hugo 2 Sleep Kills Indexing

I think I understand what's happening with my 10-hour (plus) indexing times on the 2Go. All starts well: I copy new music to the SD card, insert it into the 2Go and indexing starts. Unfortunately, after 10 minutes, the Hugo 2 turns itself off. That then cancels the indexing - but the 2Go still thinks it's indexing and its multi-coloured lights continue to flash, without anything actually happening.

I was able to monitor the indexing using Mconnect. With the Hugo 2 turned on (all lights lit up), indexing proceeded fairly rapidly and after ca. 10 minutes I had 48 composers indexed - I was down to Mendelssohn. Then there was a click, and the Hugo 2 turned itself off. Mconnect then couldn't see any music. Returning to GoFigure I was told that "No DAC Available":-

I then turned the Hugo 2 back on by pressing its power button, switched back to Mconnect and saw my music start to reappear.

So, in summary:

- it would appear that one has to have the Hugo 2 physically powered on with all its lights showing, for indexing to work.
- if Hugo 2 turns itself off, then indexing stops and any existing albums are gone

Users with smaller music collections will probably be fine - but for those of us with extended collections (I have ca. 350 GB of music, saved as FLAC files), there's the danger of losing everything when Hugo 2 sleeps.
Perhaps Chord should release some software that enables this indexing to be done with the sd card connected to a pc as an alternative to the current method.

Any information that is specific to the particular 2go that might be needed for the indexing could be transferred over a network to the pc via gofigure or even written by the 2go onto the sd card before the card is connected to the pc.

It would be far more rapid that way. I even think that most high-end phones would be faster at this than the 2go.

For that matter the "build playlists" feature could be done on a phone or pc in just the same way. After all that is what I had to do to generate playlists for my library.

In fact every time I start BubbleUPnP on my phone it does precisely this when it constructs the album, artist, genre etc views of the library from the track files id3 tags. And it does it so fast I don't even notice any lag.

If the current indexing method is breaking down on a 512GB card that is not even full how will we ever manage to index 1TB plus?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back