Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
Sep 11, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #4,261 of 6,306
Yup, I can imagine! I am a big fan of Roon and streaming in general.

I was on a 2 week holiday abroad without any access to Roon and already miss the convenience of it.

EDIT: My two homes are 2,500km away from each other so I know where you are coming from :wink:

You guys need a bridged VPN. Access to your Roon core wherever you go.

Sep 11, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #4,262 of 6,306
I'm finding this Roon saga pretty bizarre. Roon's COO, at short notice, takes a course of action that creates a foreseeable and serious problem for some of his customer base, because he's in dispute with third parties. After the inevitable shitstorm, Roon COO comes up with a solution, and is hailed by some on the Roon boards as a hero of Customer Relationship Management, and is thanked profusely.
I think I obviously missed a trick back in my customer facing corporate management days.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2020 at 5:11 AM Post #4,263 of 6,306
Sep 11, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #4,264 of 6,306
We are aware of the discussion surrounding Roon certification and would like to clarify in response to some of the statements (from various sources), to avoid any misinterpretation or misunderstanding.

At the beginning of 2020, 2go was sent to Roon for certification. We met with Roon’s senior certification engineer at NY CanJam and discussed his findings. On the whole, everything was good, but there were some issues that needed further investigation.

A few weeks later, Chord Electronics received Roon’s official test report and began work. However, simultaneously, the Covid pandemic struck, severely limiting businesses and we, like many, had to close down the majority of our operations. We resumed the project as soon as we realistically could and have now, of course, received the latest communication from Roon.

At this point, we are unable to comment further on what is an internal development matter between Chord Electronics and Roon. Rest assured, we are working with Roon, despite unprecedented Covid restrictions, to ensure that 2go is certified in line with other current Chord Electronics products and wish to see the matter resolved without disruption to our customers.

Matthew Bartlett

Managing Director

Sep 11, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #4,265 of 6,306
We are aware of the discussion surrounding Roon certification and would like to clarify in response to some of the statements (from various sources), to avoid any misinterpretation or misunderstanding.

At the beginning of 2020, 2go was sent to Roon for certification. We met with Roon’s senior certification engineer at NY CanJam and discussed his findings. On the whole, everything was good, but there were some issues that needed further investigation.

A few weeks later, Chord Electronics received Roon’s official test report and began work. However, simultaneously, the Covid pandemic struck, severely limiting businesses and we, like many, had to close down the majority of our operations. We resumed the project as soon as we realistically could and have now, of course, received the latest communication from Roon.

At this point, we are unable to comment further on what is an internal development matter between Chord Electronics and Roon. Rest assured, we are working with Roon, despite unprecedented Covid restrictions, to ensure that 2go is certified in line with other current Chord Electronics products and wish to see the matter resolved without disruption to our customers.

Matthew Bartlett

Managing Director

Thank you for taking the time to drop in and provide an update, Matt (@ChordElectronics).

Sep 11, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #4,266 of 6,306
I'm finding this Roon saga pretty bizarre. Roon's COO, at short notice, takes a course of action that creates a foreseeable and serious problem for some of his customer base, because he's in dispute with third parties. After the inevitable shitstorm, Roon COO comes up with a solution, and is hailed by some on the Roon boards as a hero of Customer Relationship Management, and is thanked profusely.
I think I obviously missed a trick back in my customer facing corporate management days.
I know, it’s amazing, he screws a whole bunch of his customers, wriggles his way out of it by making then all developers in perpetuity, and then soaks up the thanks. For what?! A certification procedure that was useless and misleading?

Sep 11, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #4,267 of 6,306
I think I need to back Roon on this one. I’ve seen it in my career where some integrators took advantage and did not receive certification while others paid the fees, did the training and took the certification. It took our supplier to take the same stand as roon in order to create trust and confidence in their product.

Sep 11, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #4,268 of 6,306

Matthew Bartlett

Managing Director
Thank you Matt for not leaving us behind in the dust.....
Could you also pitch in on further FW updates to address the streaming drop out issues and the ”vinylpopsandclicks” if in the works as we would all very much like some feedback on this, please throw us a 🦴?

Sep 11, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #4,269 of 6,306
I think I need to back Roon on this one. I’ve seen it in my career where some integrators took advantage and did not receive certification while others paid the fees, did the training and took the certification. It took our supplier to take the same stand as roon in order to create trust and confidence in their product.

I second this. Roon is trying to get control of the "Roon Ready" certification (which is free to obtain by the way). They want the certification to actually guarantee a decent level of functionality. Also, all the manufacturers who touted roon ready, sold product to the public as roon ready without actually being certified, are in violation of the Roon terms and conditions. I don't think Roon has the money or lawyers to enforce the T+C, hence the 9/21 announcement.

Only 1% of current users were affected by the decision (according to the COO). Once the backlash occurred, Roon backed down and found a solution for the current users. But, any new devices that aren't certified by 9/21 can't be enabled. I would hope that a reputable company like Chord and their distributors would modify the 2go product page to warn of the inability to activate the 2go on Roon after 9/21.

Sep 11, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #4,270 of 6,306
IIt took our supplier to take the same stand as roon in order to create trust and confidence in their product.
So who, on this planet, ever expressed reservations in the integrity of Roon's product because of the way certification was being handled? On the customer side, absolutely no-one, I'll warrant.
If anything, the cavalier and roughshod attitude of Roon's COO towards a small subset of his customer base will diminish "trust and confidence" in the company and it's product.
It could happen to you tomorrow.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #4,271 of 6,306
So who, on this planet, ever expressed reservations in the integrity of Roon's product because of the way certification was being handled? On the customer side, absolutely no-one, I'll warrant.
If anything, the cavalier and roughshod attitude of Roon's COO towards a small subset of his customer base will diminish "trust and confidence" in the company and it's product.
It could happen to you tomorrow.

Roon ends up having to field support questions on this subpar hardware/software and subsequently takes the hit on its image because of issues with uncertified devices. As much was said in the Roon thread.

Sep 11, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #4,272 of 6,306
Roon ends up having to field support questions on this subpar hardware/software and subsequently takes the hit on its image because of issues with uncertified devices. As much was said in the Roon thread.

And since when was this ever explained to us customers? I've never ever seen it mentioned. It's been going on for a long time apparently, according to the COO. Why piss on their customers with two weeks notice in an attempt to get this issue resolved?

Sep 11, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #4,273 of 6,306
And since when was this ever explained to us customers? I've never ever seen it mentioned. It's been going on for a long time apparently, according to the COO. Why piss on their customers with two weeks notice in an attempt to get this issue resolved?

Looks like it was just explained to the masses over the last few days. They've already made updates to their policy to allow those unlucky enough to be using uncertified devices to continue using them while the manufacturers get their act in order.

Sep 11, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #4,274 of 6,306
Looks like it was just explained to the masses over the last few days. They've already made updates to their policy to allow those unlucky enough to be using uncertified devices to continue using them while the manufacturers get their act in order.

Quite. But why put your customers through this crap in the first place?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back