Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
Sep 8, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #4,201 of 6,290
Exactly why I was looking into Chord in the first place.

I have dealer who sells Chord.

They just do not know everything about these two products since they are new. They do not have the the 2Go in the shop yet.
As you know,
2YU has been delayed.

The distributor has been most helpful but does not no much about the SW I would like to run and neither does Chord.
But,
Chord has been most helpful as well.

Thank you

Sep 9, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #4,204 of 6,290
You're in the right place, Pnada.

FWIW, if you are going to play music via the SD cards or play via wired ethernet - those use cases appear to be 95% or better SOLID. Those are my two use cases. I still get vinylpopsandclicks occasionally in both scenarios, but it's quite uncommon. Clearly there's some sort of software or firmware bugs to be fixed yet, and I'm hopeful they'll get to it, but given how uncommon the errors are (FOR ME), I'm perfectly happy with my setup here.

If your primary use case is via WiFi, I can't be helpful there. That appears to be the bulk of the problems, but it's not my use case at all (the unit is either with me out-and-about in the world - or it's 1.5 meters from my server and router and hub - so it's wired in with an ethernet cable).

Doody
I have to report that the other day, when playing a dsd file from the sd card and with the phone totally disconnected from the 2go, on two occasions for a couple of seconds each the music cut out and was replaced by a soft hissing before resumption of the playback.

I can't say I was particularly happy about that 😔

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #4,205 of 6,290
Email just in from Roon

"What is changing?
Starting September 21st, Roon Ready devices that are uncertified will no longer have the ability to be enabled on the Audio Settings screen. When this change is made, uncertified devices will be discoverable, but cannot be Enabled for use with Roon.

Why is it changing?
The Roon Ready certification allows people to trust that they’re getting the best quality possible, but when products are prematurely released before their certification is complete, that trust is undermined. Not only can it create problematic situations for all parties involved, it hurts the reputation of the entire Roon Ready program.

How will this impact me?
  • If your device is Enabled in Roon’s settings, it will stay Enabled. But if you Disable the device, you will not be able to Enable it again after September 21st.
  • If you purchase a device that is not certified as Roon Ready, you will not be able to Enable it for use after September 21st."

Has 2GO received certification yet?

Sep 9, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #4,206 of 6,290
Email just in from Roon

"What is changing?
Starting September 21st, Roon Ready devices that are uncertified will no longer have the ability to be enabled on the Audio Settings screen. When this change is made, uncertified devices will be discoverable, but cannot be Enabled for use with Roon.

Why is it changing?
The Roon Ready certification allows people to trust that they’re getting the best quality possible, but when products are prematurely released before their certification is complete, that trust is undermined. Not only can it create problematic situations for all parties involved, it hurts the reputation of the entire Roon Ready program.

How will this impact me?
  • If your device is Enabled in Roon’s settings, it will stay Enabled. But if you Disable the device, you will not be able to Enable it again after September 21st.
  • If you purchase a device that is not certified as Roon Ready, you will not be able to Enable it for use after September 21st."

Has 2GO received certification yet?

I just came here to post the same, not good. As of this morning I'm still seeing my 2Go as Uncertified.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 8.05.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 8.05.01 AM.png
    83.6 KB · Views: 0
Sep 9, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #4,207 of 6,290
Why is it changing?

Kind of seems like this was targeted at Chord and it's streaming devices, reading between the lines a bit.

Sep 9, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #4,208 of 6,290
I just came here to post the same, not good. As of this morning I'm still seeing my 2Go as Uncertified.
@Matt Bartlett
Doubt we'll get an answer quickly, but I tagged Matt. Quite literally, the 2go is most functional and reliable on Roon. Hopefully this has been Chord's recent focus. But unless we disable the 2go for some reason, it will continue to function as normal it seems. This really affects new purchasers of Roon and the 2go after the 21st. It doesn't seem that it will affect current users. I guess we'll see.

DJ

Sep 9, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #4,209 of 6,290
I think you're reading an AWFUL lot between the lines, phils. Maybe it's so, but seems unlikely given the volume of products that work with Roon. I think it's 60% what they say it is and 40% about generating some more revenue (but What do I know!).

It'd be nice if @Matt Bartlett or someone at Chord could let us know about this. Obviously for us already-owners we're fine as long as we leave it alone and never have to re-connect it. But I'd rather not live in that scenario if it can be avoided! "Stuff happens" as they say.

Doody

Sep 9, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #4,210 of 6,290
Kind of seems like this was targeted at Chord and it's streaming devices, reading between the lines a bit.

More than just Roon targeted. My amp is an Arcam SA30, and it is also uncertified.
This just means Roon aren't getting my £100 come January when renewal time comes around. I find I'm using Audirvana more these days anyway.
Thank Christ I never sprung for the lifetime Roon membership. The way Chord are performing these days we can expect Roon certification sometime around 2066.

Sep 9, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #4,212 of 6,290
I think you're reading an AWFUL lot between the lines, phils. Maybe it's so, but seems unlikely given the volume of products that work with Roon. I think it's 60% what they say it is and 40% about generating some more revenue (but What do I know!).

It'd be nice if @Matt Bartlett or someone at Chord could let us know about this. Obviously for us already-owners we're fine as long as we leave it alone and never have to re-connect it. But I'd rather not live in that scenario if it can be avoided! "Stuff happens" as they say.

Doody
There have been a couple of times I have had to enable my 2Go since getting Roon back in January. Can't remember why it happened, but it would have been something to do with fannying around with my router or network at the time. So for that reason I wont be renewing Roon until 2Go is certified, just in case I found myself in the position of having to enable again and then I'd be up sh1t creek.

Sep 9, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #4,213 of 6,290
Like others, I have little faith that Chord will get the 2Go certified by the cut-off, which will render it largely useless to me (still too poor a UX and/or not reliable enough).

So as others have said, issues with the unit (which I've also had to enable more than once since I got it; I found it had to re-enabled after the last firmware update), or issues with one's Roon Core (hardware upgrade, failed hardware/replacement) will render the 2Go and other devices in a similar situation unusable with Roon.

Of course ... attempting to ask questions about this on the Roon community site finds that I'm a) logged out of it and b) it won't let me log back in (ignores the login request) and c) mysteriously I just had to re-login to my Roon account in Roon itself.

Sep 9, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #4,215 of 6,290
Unsurprisingly this is going down like a lead balloon over on the Roon Community forum.

Yep, multiple threads on it already.

It screws the customer because, effectively, Roon allowed uncertified devices (presumably to build out a bigger array of "supported" hardware) and then have either not bothered to hold manufacturer's feet to the fire to complete the certification process or have bungled the process of doing so.

If I'd known this was coming, especially with the less-than-two-weeks notice we're getting, there are hardware purchases that would not have been made. The 2Go is one of them, but there are others, including a replacement of my Roon Core which won't arrive before the cut-off date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back