Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
Sep 2, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #4,141 of 6,290
I agree, and I've had so little issues with it, that I am having a hard time caring about going down another path. If the SQ was amazingly better through something like MConnect, I would perhaps care to experiment more.
I have tried to use Tidal on glider IOS but it doesn't work due to log in credentials or something. Emailed Ed Selley about this and there's nothing they can do.... Pretty annoyed with 2GO sometimes when it doesn't work. When it does, I kind of wish this is the only equipment I'd keep lol...

Sep 2, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #4,142 of 6,290
I have tried to use Tidal on glider IOS but it doesn't work due to log in credentials or something. Emailed Ed Selley about this and there's nothing they can do.... Pretty annoyed with 2GO sometimes when it doesn't work. When it does, I kind of wish this is the only equipment I'd keep lol...
Development on Glider ended about 2 years ago when @joe28 moved on to other projects. At this point, Glider is what it is. I still use it for mSD playback. Works great for that.

Sep 2, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #4,143 of 6,290
Development on Glider ended about 2 years ago when @joe28 moved on to other projects. At this point, Glider is what it is. I still use it for mSD playback. Works great for that.
I second that. Local playback and clean UI is great on glider

Sep 3, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #4,144 of 6,290
Hi @all,

inside view of the 2go

IMG_3841.jpg

Sep 3, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #4,145 of 6,290
So there it is. The whole project was outsourced to www.disignconsultants.com. I looked them up on the web. Terrifying to think they also make make medical devices. That would take the consequences of network dropouts to another level!

You would think that after the Poly disaster, Chord would have dropped them.

Sep 3, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #4,146 of 6,290
Hi @all,

inside view of the 2go

IMG_3841.jpg

Well that's it folks. The chip on the 2go based on this picture is https://www.arrow.com/en/products/lbee5kl1dx-883/murata-manufacturing. This states it has a max data rate of 65Mbps, therefore proving my whole theory. The 2go simply does not have the throughput to maintain a stable network connection over distance or in congestion. This would suggest to me that those experiencing poor network performance will not see a resolution owing to there being a serious hardware limitation here.

Sep 3, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #4,147 of 6,290
The chip on the 2go based on this picture is https://www.arrow.com/en/products/lbee5kl1dx-883/murata-manufacturing. This states it has a max data rate of 65Mbps, therefore proving my whole theory. The 2go simply does not have the throughput to maintain a stable network connection over distance or in congestion.
The problem is not data rate. 65 Mbps is far more than needed for highest resolution audio. 24/192 audio runs at about 9.2 Mbps and even 4K video only needs 25 Mbps. It could be the sensitivity of the receiver or output strength of its transmitter (since it is a two-way protocol), but most likely the firmware is not

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #4,148 of 6,290
65 Mbps is far more than needed for high resolution audio. The problem is not data rate but the sensitivity of the receiver and/or signal strength of its transmitter (since it is a two-way protocol). 24/192 audio runs at about 9.2 Mbps. Even 4K video only needs 25 Mbps.

See my previous post on this (quoted below). This is a poorly understood issue. Yes 65Mbps is on paper enough for the max bitrate that the 2go supports, but this doesn't account for network overheads, or that as the signal degrades so does the speed. Even my iPhone with its very fast wifi chip and high powered antennas still sees drops in speed in lower signal areas. Remember that more bandwidth means more headroom. The 2Go simply does not have enough headroom. Remember that signal strength and transmission speed are interlinked and in order for you to improve one you must improve the other. Whilst I cannot see from the picture whether aerials are connected to the chip or its fully embedded but either way these are likely the limiting factors for both speed stability.

On to the point, this is a sensible target speed as the stated PCM limit of the 2Go only gets up to ~50Mbps which will more-or less fit into at standard 72Mbps connection (accounting for overheads). Realistically most users won’t listen to music that gets anywhere near that high.

The problem comes when signal strength becomes weaker. There are places in my house that my iPhone 11 Pro and FiiO M15 (and my Hiby R3, and $20 streamer box) work fine where the 2Go did not. When I checked those device connections I did notice degradation in signal quality and connection speed, but as they all connect at much higher speeds (5Ghz, larger band widths, newer protocols, more antennas, etc) they continue to work as normal. The M15 is the perfect example as it’s internal configuration limits it to 2 antennas at ~150Mbps combined and in these weak spots it was still hitting 50Mbps no problems! The 2go however reported under 10Mbps and sometimes lost connection all together. If you take a look in the Chord 2Go manual it makes reference about having a 10m wireless range. I always thought that odd and a likely understatement, but there may be some truth in it for those with larger spaces, older walls, urban density issues, etc. It also means that there are those who aren’t as bothered by those things may never run into issues.

Sep 3, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #4,149 of 6,290
Does anyone know what the wifi chip in the Poly is? And it's max data rate? I find Poly works flawlessly in the same spot where the 2Go fails.

Sep 3, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #4,150 of 6,290
See my previous post on this (quoted below). This is a poorly understood issue. Yes 65Mbps is on paper enough for the max bitrate that the 2go supports, but this doesn't account for network overheads, or that as the signal degrades so does the speed. Even my iPhone with its very fast wifi chip and high powered antennas still sees drops in speed in lower signal areas. Remember that more bandwidth means more headroom. The 2Go simply does not have enough headroom. Remember that signal strength and transmission speed are interlinked and in order for you to improve one you must improve the other. Whilst I cannot see from the picture whether aerials are connected to the chip or its fully embedded but either way these are likely the limiting factors for both speed stability.
Having a chip with higher max data rate doesn't help when there is congestion and the available data rate goes down. There are networking issues but it isn't coming from limitation in the chip's bandwidth. I'm convinced it is not a hardware issue but inability of the firmware to correctly handle the timing issues in a busy network.

Sep 3, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #4,151 of 6,290
Having a chip with higher max data rate doesn't help when there is congestion and the available data rate goes down. There are networking issues but it isn't coming from limitation in the chip's bandwidth. I'm convinced it is not a hardware issue but inability of the firmware to correctly handle the timing issues in a busy network.

Except I’ve isolated the 2go on its own network with nothing else and it still has a problem. I’m running on the same hardware that the company I work for has, on a gigabit fibre connection. There isn’t inherently a congestion issue for my case. It’s purely that it can’t maintain its speed outside of the room I have my AP.

Just to reiterate other devices with higher max speeds don’t have this issue in the same places. I literally watched the connection speed drop from the network monitor as I walked away from the access point.

Sep 3, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #4,152 of 6,290
Just to reiterate other devices with higher max speeds don’t have this issue in the same places. I literally watched the connection speed drop from the network monitor as I walked away from the access point.
The connection speed could be dropping because 2go's WiFi antenna doesn't provide a strong signal or the WiFI chip doesn't have a sensitive receiver. I'm just saying that this is unrelated to the chip's maximum data rate.

Sep 3, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #4,153 of 6,290
I'm convinced it is not a hardware issue but inability of the firmware to correctly handle the timing issues in a busy network.
I hope you're correct. That would mean this can be fixed with a software (firmware) update.

Sep 3, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #4,154 of 6,290
The connection speed could be dropping because 2go's WiFi antenna doesn't provide a strong signal or the WiFI chip doesn't have a sensitive receiver. I'm just saying that this is unrelated to the chip's maximum data rate.

As I said, they go hand in hand.

Sep 4, 2020 at 4:27 AM Post #4,155 of 6,290
Does anyone know what the wifi chip in the Poly is? And it's max data rate? I find Poly works flawlessly in the same spot where the 2Go fails.

Hi ,

Glad your Poly works flawless for you , however this is my week old Poly connected via Bluetooth to my I Phone with Poly connected in Hotspot Mode, when I eventually get it to connect it sounds fantastic, however it randomly stops playing music at home and when outside, blimey my £100 Shangling Mo is more reliable to play 🎶. Just glad I didn't waste another £1,000 on purchasing 2 Go for my Hugo 2.

Enjoy your music and keep safe.

IMG_3481.JPG
IMG_3482.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back