Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
May 4, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #1,846 of 6,306
@Matt Bartlett FYI/FWIW - Got some more "clicks" today. The only pattern I think I've seen is that I've only heard them when playing back Tidal via Roon. Airplane mode. Wired ethernet. Got two such clicks in a 10 second period - went back and played it again - no clicks.

AFAIK, I have never heard clicks via Roon with my server library nor when listening via SD card. I've only heard the clicks a few times (2 sessions? 3 sessions?) and AFAIK they've all been Tidal over Roon.

In case that's helpful,
Doody

A bit more data:

So I was listening to Red Norvo Trio "Savoy Sessions" off Tidal at redbook through Roon. about 5 or so tracks in I started to get the clicks here and there. Not continuous or anything. They did seem to cluster - like 2 or 3 in a 5s to 10s window - then fine for a track or two. I probably ran into three or four such clusters and each time I tried to reproduce (rewind) without luck. In one instance I was able to get clicks two or three times over a given set of track - which I found odd - not in the same spots, mind you, but in the same small segment of time. It feels to me like just data glitches of some sort caused by an overloaded stream.

I got sick of the clicks and fired up Red Norvo "Vibes a la Red" from 2xHD at DSD256 - so about 16x the bandwidth playing from my server via Roon. No drama.

Dunno if that's helpful.

Last edited:
May 5, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #1,847 of 6,306
@Matt Bartlett
AFAIK, I have never heard clicks via Roon with my server library nor when listening via SD card.

Unfortunately most of mine have been from the SD card.

Also what % of 2go uses would people consider to be totally smooth? For me it's really only been from Roon (when Roon's working that is). But SD is my target use case and this experience is, at most, 20% smooth. Honestly about 80% of uses are a swearing event. With ethernet, without it, off hotspot, airplane mode and not. And no app is a sure thing either (mconnect, glider, rigelian all struggle in various degrees at various times).

I'll have a Matrix Element X on deck tomorrow and very keen to compare the SD card experiences.

May 5, 2020 at 4:04 AM Post #1,848 of 6,306
@Matt Bartlett FYI/FWIW - Got some more "clicks" today. The only pattern I think I've seen is that I've only heard them when playing back Tidal via Roon. Airplane mode. Wired ethernet. Got two such clicks in a 10 second period - went back and played it again - no clicks.

AFAIK, I have never heard clicks via Roon with my server library nor when listening via SD card. I've only heard the clicks a few times (2 sessions? 3 sessions?) and AFAIK they've all been Tidal over Roon.

In case that's helpful,
Doody

A bit more data:

So I was listening to Red Norvo Trio "Savoy Sessions" off Tidal at redbook through Roon. about 5 or so tracks in I started to get the clicks here and there. Not continuous or anything. They did seem to cluster - like 2 or 3 in a 5s to 10s window - then fine for a track or two. I probably ran into three or four such clusters and each time I tried to reproduce (rewind) without luck. In one instance I was able to get clicks two or three times over a given set of track - which I found odd - not in the same spots, mind you, but in the same small segment of time. It feels to me like just data glitches of some sort caused by an overloaded stream.

I got sick of the clicks and fired up Red Norvo "Vibes a la Red" from 2xHD at DSD256 - so about 16x the bandwidth playing from my server via Roon. No drama.

Dunno if that's helpful.
Are you able to increase the buffer size? Pops and clicks are generally caused by bits being dropped and a larger buffer should help. I note that Peter's problems were cured by an improved router.

May 5, 2020 at 4:07 AM Post #1,849 of 6,306
I also have the same problem with SD playback.

I don’t see how a new router would solve this problem as it something that is happening inside the 2GO.

If I play a file from the SD card on one of my computers, there is 0 pops.

I can even stream movies and music via DLNA to my Samsung 4K TV without any issues which is much more demanding. So I am sure the problem is not my router.

Last edited:
May 5, 2020 at 7:12 AM Post #1,850 of 6,306
I also have the same problem with SD playback.

I don’t see how a new router would solve this problem as it something that is happening inside the 2GO.

If I play a file from the SD card on one of my computers, there is 0 pops.

I can even stream movies and music via DLNA to my Samsung 4K TV without any issues which is much more demanding. So I am sure the problem is not my router.
Hopefully it is not a design fault and there is not enough RAM for buffering in the 2GO. It also seems a bit strange that they didn't include at least a small amount of internal memory as It could have stored the index allowing both cards to be accessed at once. Most DAP designers had sorted this out years ago and they also provide streaming...

May 5, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #1,851 of 6,306
It could be a hardware issue because I have a new replacement unit and it has the exact same problems as my 1st unit.

Last edited:
May 5, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #1,852 of 6,306
Hopefully it is not a design fault and there is not enough RAM for buffering in the 2GO. It also seems a bit strange that they didn't include at least a small amount of internal memory as It could have stored the index allowing both cards to be accessed at once. Most DAP designers had sorted this out years ago and they also provide streaming...

I only experienced this once. I doubt it's hardware related

May 5, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #1,853 of 6,306
Are you able to increase the buffer size? Pops and clicks are generally caused by bits being dropped and a larger buffer should help. I note that Peter's problems were cured by an improved router.
I will look into the Roon / Tidal buffer settings. I'm running all wired ethernet. I'd eat my shorts if it was the router dropping packets (Linksys ~1 year old).

Presumably Chord has better data that I do, but based on the data reported in this forum, this has to be a software issue inside the 2go - not something exogenous - especially if it's happening with SD card playback.

I'd be curious to know what sort of content (datarate) people are getting clicks on. For me it's only redbook - the 'smallest' stuff I play. I've never had a problem on beefier-than-redbook stuff - up to DXD and DSD256. It could be that the firmware was written to handle ONSLAUGHTS of data and it gets sloppier when it's not freaking out. FIIK :).

Doody

PS: One thing I am trying now is that I turned OFF the QoS / Media Prioritization stuff in the router. Seems like a long-shot given my experience (15Mbps works fine but 1.5Mbps has errors). We'll see! Obvously this wouldn't be a factor for SD playback errors (which I haven't had), but I figured "why not".

May 5, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #1,854 of 6,306
I will look into the Roon / Tidal buffer settings. I'm running all wired ethernet. I'd eat my shorts if it was the router dropping packets (Linksys ~1 year old).

Presumably Chord has better data that I do, but based on the data reported in this forum, this has to be a software issue inside the 2go - not something exogenous - especially if it's happening with SD card playback.

I'd be curious to know what sort of content (datarate) people are getting clicks on. For me it's only redbook - the 'smallest' stuff I play. I've never had a problem on beefier-than-redbook stuff - up to DXD and DSD256. It could be that the firmware was written to handle ONSLAUGHTS of data and it gets sloppier when it's not freaking out. FIIK :).

Doody

PS: One thing I am trying now is that I turned OFF the QoS / Media Prioritization stuff in the router. Seems like a long-shot given my experience (15Mbps works fine but 1.5Mbps has errors). We'll see! Obvously this wouldn't be a factor for SD playback errors (which I haven't had), but I figured "why not".
I recently moved my h2go from the bedroom to a newly-created home office and for the first time have noticed these clicks. Furthermore, the wifi reception is worse in the office than in the bedroom: GoFigure sometimes does not see the wifi (bluetooth is fine), and my mdp player sometimes disconnects from the 2go. So I'm leaning towards the wifi is an issue conjecture. As a consequence I've ordered an eero mesh. At the very least, this will help my computer setup and 2go connection issues. If it removes the clicks, fantastic!

Here's pure speculation: since all connection protocols are always on on the 2go - even if you are playing from a microsd card (as I do), the 2go still tries to maintain a wifi connection - perhaps the clicks are caused by hiccups in wifi connection between 2go and the wifi router? I.e. even though I'm using an MDP player, which does not require an on-going wifi connection once it creates a playlist, the wifi issues are cascading into other "transport" modes?

Last edited:
May 5, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #1,855 of 6,306
Here's pure speculation: since all connection protocols are always on on the 2go - even if you are playing from a microsd card (as I do), the 2go still tries to maintain a wifi connection - perhaps the clicks are caused by hiccups in wifi connection between 2go and the wifi router?
This should NOT be the case. When in Airplane mode OR when you insert a physical Ethernet cable, the WiFi radio is supposed to shut off. That said, I'm not sure it does. I've been able to get my 2go into the state of Airplane Mode ON and it is clearly connected to my WiFi. Once I got GoFigure to list it as such (Airplane on and it told me I was connected to my home network over WiFi).

This is an interesting theory, DaddyWhale.

Have you guys looked into this @Matt Bartlett ? If the WiFi radio is NOT actually being shut off as expected or as it's told to, and it is the source of the data problems... Happy to install a "test firmware" that completely deletes / blocks / whatever all the WiFi code and test it out. No skin off my teeth since I NEVER use WiFi.

Doody

May 5, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #1,856 of 6,306
Perhaps this has already been passed on to @Matt Bartlett . Yesterday I updated my (right) microsd card with new music. When I reinserted the card into the 2go, I got the kaleidoscopic light show, but the new folders (Beethoven string quartets btw... please don't tell me this could matter!) were not added to the 2go database. I had to eject the card, put it in my tablet and remove the database files. When I then put the card back in the 2go, everything got re-indexed and all the folders/files were available.

May 5, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #1,857 of 6,306
Perhaps this has already been passed on to @Matt Bartlett . Yesterday I updated my (right) microsd card with new music. When I reinserted the card into the 2go, I got the kaleidoscopic light show, but the new folders (Beethoven string quartets btw... please don't tell me this could matter!) were not added to the 2go database. I had to eject the card, put it in my tablet and remove the database files. When I then put the card back in the 2go, everything got re-indexed and all the folders/files were available.

Face same issue too..

May 5, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #1,859 of 6,306
4F40F029-181D-47D2-B5F9-803175CCE784.jpeg

May 5, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #1,860 of 6,306

Users who are viewing this thread

Back