Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
Feb 26, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #407 of 6,290
Pi4 using wifi and DietPi with NAA active or Ropieee with naa active will be the HQPlayer endpoint. I use ethernet to it though for the throughput.

Feb 26, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #408 of 6,290
Can you give me an example of any other product launched in the last five years that only has 2.4GHz WiFi? (apart from the Poly).
Quite a few DAPs actually. Could be worse though: You could be stuck with Bluetooth only.

Feb 26, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #409 of 6,290
I'm really curious about how good the 2(go+yu) device is as a high-end streamer. I will likely sell my MojoPoly and get a 2go for my H2. At that point, the question of spending an additional $595 for the 2yu to use with my M Scaler + DAVE, or Devialet D800, is really about how it compares to other Roon-enabled high-end streamers like the $875 Sonore ultraRendu, (which I own), the $1295 OpticalRendu, the $1200 SOtM sMS-200ultra Neo, or for that matter the $4,349 Aurilac Aries G2. If the sounds is as good or better than these, then an additional $595 isn't unreasonable. Granted, if you don't have an H2, then the combo is an $1890 streamer, but then again, many of the streamers I've listed sound their best when paired with a $435 Uptone LPS-1.2 or a$500 SOtm sPS-500 power supply, so you're still in the same ballpark...

Looking forward to reviews/comparisons like this from Darko, Hans B, etc.

muski

Feb 27, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #410 of 6,290
i am forever stupified by people like yourself, who are not interested in this product, which hasn't even been released yet, yet stay here in this thread to spew nonsense like this. you don't have anything better to do?
Apologies to anyone put out by my post except John Franks of course! One of his two appearances here was in response to the wordplay so I couldn't resist using it to express my exasperation at the 2Go/2yu offering as a desktop 'solution'.

I was keenly anticipating the advent of a Chord desktop streamer. I have owned 7 Chord products in recent years (including 2 dud Polys which were returned). I do have better things to do that post on HiFi forums but I have made an exception with Head-fi in the naive expectation that it might have some influence on Chord's product development policy. In August 2017 I posted here suggesting a desktop version of the Poly with onboard storage and server functionality (like my Auralic Aries Mini). To be fair the 2Go/2Yu offering seem to do that but in a very unsatisfactory way. One box has a battery I don't need and the other(2Yu) seems superfluous if I just want USB output which is already provided by 2Go. Who else produces a streamer in two boxes (excluding power supply)? Who else produces a streamer which is locked to one model of DAC?

At the end of the day it's just a bit of kit. My Aries Mini does a sterling job of feeding my Qutest and there are many sensible streamers I could buy to upgrade it. It would just be nice if one of then was made by Chord.

Feb 27, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #411 of 6,290
I'm really curious about how good the 2(go+yu) device is as a high-end streamer. I will likely sell my MojoPoly and get a 2go for my H2. At that point, the question of spending an additional $595 for the 2yu to use with my M Scaler + DAVE, or Devialet D800, is really about how it compares to other Roon-enabled high-end streamers like the $875 Sonore ultraRendu, (which I own), the $1295 OpticalRendu, the $1200 SOtM sMS-200ultra Neo, or for that matter the $4,349 Aurilac Aries G2. If the sounds is as good or better than these, then an additional $595 isn't unreasonable. Granted, if you don't have an H2, then the combo is an $1890 streamer, but then again, many of the streamers I've listed sound their best when paired with a $435 Uptone LPS-1.2 or a$500 SOtm sPS-500 power supply, so you're still in the same ballpark...

Looking forward to reviews/comparisons like this from Darko, Hans B, etc.

muski
+1
And I would like you to buy one and post a review with a comparison :L3000: :popcorn:

Feb 27, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #412 of 6,290
+1
And I would like you to buy one and post a review with a comparison :L3000: :popcorn:
This is super helpful. Now I can tell my wife that this purchase isn't really for me, but for the greater good of the audio community. No way she can argue with that. :)

Feb 27, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #413 of 6,290
So it's officially February 28th in the UK. One day before the aforementioned "magic day." No new nuggets on the Android app store, as best I can tell.

Anybody hearing anything about timing at this juncture?

Doody

Feb 28, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #414 of 6,290
So it's officially February 28th in the UK. One day before the aforementioned "magic day." No new nuggets on the Android app store, as best I can tell.

Anybody hearing anything about timing at this juncture?

Doody

Yes stock is due for release to dealers next week. At least in UK

Feb 28, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #415 of 6,290
Yes stock is due for release to dealers next week. At least in UK
Any idea if they will offer some sort of Roon promo ie trial free for 3months? And a case promo?

Feb 28, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #416 of 6,290
Apologies to anyone put out by my post except John Franks of course! One of his two appearances here was in response to the wordplay so I couldn't resist using it to express my exasperation at the 2Go/2yu offering as a desktop 'solution'.

I was keenly anticipating the advent of a Chord desktop streamer. I have owned 7 Chord products in recent years (including 2 dud Polys which were returned). I do have better things to do that post on HiFi forums but I have made an exception with Head-fi in the naive expectation that it might have some influence on Chord's product development policy. In August 2017 I posted here suggesting a desktop version of the Poly with onboard storage and server functionality (like my Auralic Aries Mini). To be fair the 2Go/2Yu offering seem to do that but in a very unsatisfactory way. One box has a battery I don't need and the other(2Yu) seems superfluous if I just want USB output which is already provided by 2Go. Who else produces a streamer in two boxes (excluding power supply)? Who else produces a streamer which is locked to one model of DAC?

At the end of the day it's just a bit of kit. My Aries Mini does a sterling job of feeding my Qutest and there are many sensible streamers I could buy to upgrade it. It would just be nice if one of then was made by Chord.
In terms of the better use of my time I did actually contact Chord direct to let them have my views on what I see as an unsatisfactory product and missed opportunity.

One reason I like Chord is their support team are very good. Ed Selley sent this reply and has kindly agreed to my posting it here:-

Hello Pat, I am sorry for the delay in responding. There was a need to be clear on some detail points.

From a design and test perspective it is easier to go up in incremental steps from the Poly platform rather than jump straight into a full sized platform. We have a large amount of Hugo2 customers so we wanted to concentrate on 2Go first to provide the same portable platform as we have with Poly, albeit with a considerable jump in processing power. This is also because the platform scales up more simply than it does down. There are also a lot of Hugo2 customers with our other DAC products and in particular our M scaler. In order to use 2Go with M scaler you need to have a USB interface product between 2Go, M scaler and Hugo2 so we came up with the idea of 2Yu. This means that a customer with these products does not have to buy another separate streamer so it would save them money. You can have 2Go on the go with Hugo2 and then when you are at home you can use 2Go with 2Yu to interface with your home system if you want to.

The 2Yu exists because the the USB output on 2Go has communication with Hugo2 so it is not as easy as connecting a cable between the two as what comes out of the 2Go is not something that is compatible with the non portable DACs. Also there is no need to worry about the battery in 2Go. The charging circuit constantly monitors the battery and will not overcharge it even if 2Go is left plugged in all the time. We have the same technology in Poly and even with long term use there have no been battery failures.

We're not saying we aren't looking at bigger, standalone devices but it is important to stress that they're still wholly theoretical and that 2Go is not a stopgap. The streaming market is changing at a rate of knots (the influence or Roon and Volumio in particular are still being judged) and that committing slender resources requires careful assessment of what works. To this end, 2Go and 2Yu are the current best fit for our product range. We fully understand if you feel that another streaming product might be more suitable however.

All the best

Ed Selley / Customer Support
support@chordelectronics.co.uk / (+44) 01622 721 444

Feb 28, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #418 of 6,290
I didn’t think it’s recommended to charge and play poly at the same time, I know it’s not for mojo.

Feb 28, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #420 of 6,290
https://www.audioconcierge.co.uk/chord-2go-review-streaming-module/

Not sure if this has been posted, but this is the first review I've seen of the 2go.
A very positive first review, almost makes me want to buy one. :) I will wait for more reviews first though. If there are no connection issues and drop outs reported then who knows I may buy one.

I really can't see how one Hugo2 source sounds better than another though, if it does doesn't that point to an issue with Hugo 2's inputs rather than the source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back