Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
Feb 22, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #316 of 6,290
This device literally just outputs bit perfect audio data via USB. There wouldn't be any further firmware/software development needed to allow someone to connect a USB cable to the output of the 2Go and feed it to the DAC of their choice.

They make you purchase the 2Yu to accomplish that though.

Save yourself a $1100 and buy a Raspberry Pi, you will accomplish the same USB output you desire.

Feb 22, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #317 of 6,290
my comment is..

Chord has made a decision to lock their devices into a proprietary ecosystem.. that is accomplished through firmware. i am well aware of the issues that took 2 years to iron out (mostly) it wasn't until the firmware matured that Poly and Mojo acted properly together. to this day users have lingering issues, although at a way lower rate than early adopters.

so yes it would be absolutely wonderful if they decided to go open source 2go and allow users the freedom to connect it to their toaster if they see fit. i doubt given the PR and CS nightmare incurred with Poly they would be willing to allow a toaster connection or anything other than Hugo2 and 2yu. i could be wrong, but at $500 more than Poly i can see the village being torched if things go awry with these products

Feb 22, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #320 of 6,290
my comment is..

Chord has made a decision to lock their devices into a proprietary ecosystem.. that is accomplished through firmware. i am well aware of the issues that took 2 years to iron out (mostly) it wasn't until the firmware matured that Poly and Mojo acted properly together. to this day users have lingering issues, although at a way lower rate than early adopters.

so yes it would be absolutely wonderful if they decided to go open source 2go and allow users the freedom to connect it to their toaster if they see fit. i doubt given the PR and CS nightmare incurred with Poly they would be willing to allow a toaster connection or anything other than Hugo2 and 2yu. i could be wrong, but at $500 more than Poly i can see the village being torched if things go awry with these products

We'll just disagree.

Feb 22, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #323 of 6,290
Unless you need battery powered portability.

This was in the context of trying to rig the 2GO to anything but the Hugo 2 or adding the 2U. And if you needed portability there are battery packs to power the. RPi too, that’s actually how I have mine powered.

The true beauty of this product, the 2GO is the ease of turning an amazing Dac/headphone amplifier into a DAP. Similar to what the Poly does for the Mojo. Pure portable bliss. All these other use cases being discussed, hypothetical and creative are not the goal of the 2GO. When something appears as pretty straight forward, it usually is.

My thoughts, that’s all. Simplicity to enjoy the music, because at the end of the day it’s about that and only that.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #324 of 6,290
This was in the context of trying to rig the 2GO to anything but the Hugo 2 or adding the 2U. And if you needed portability there are battery packs to power the. RPi too, that’s actually how I have mine powered.

The true beauty of this product, the 2GO is the ease of turning an amazing Dac/headphone amplifier into a DAP. Similar to what the Poly does for the Mojo. Pure portable bliss. All these other use cases being discussed, hypothetical and creative are not the goal of the 2GO. When something appears as pretty straight forward, it usually is.

My thoughts, that’s all. Simplicity to enjoy the music, because at the end of the day it’s about that and only that.

Agreed! Poly is the simplest and best sounding (not cheapest) way to enjoy Mojo in multiple use cases. I’m sure 2Go will be the equivalent for Hugo2. I simply did not like the H2 as much as Mojo. But I do enjoy TT2, which, alas, is not portable and the RPi is an excellent Roon endpoint for that DAC.

Feb 23, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #325 of 6,290
Feb 23, 2020 at 2:48 AM Post #326 of 6,290
Personally - I'm just going to use my Hugo 2 so the 2go is what I'm interested in. I was an early Poly adopter so I hope the 2go is a lot more seamless/easier to use this time around. The Poly was a complete nightmare in the early days.

I'm also expecting a clear SQ improvement from Hugo2 2go vs MojoPoly. Mine's on order so we will see.

I couldn't make it to the Bristol show so if anyone has, please post whatever you can

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #327 of 6,290
If enough people take a sensible view like you, and keep the pressure on Chord for a one-box product hopefully it will come sooner rather than later. I agree with you; £499 for a USB to USB adaptor is a bit steep. Why is the USB output of the 2Go locked to a Hugo2?
Having worked so hard on the Poly it would seem to be a no brainer to capitalise on it by producing a 2Go for Hugo2 and a standalone streamer for the rest of the market. Then just wait for the cash to roll in. Instead they cobble up an overpriced, half baked , Heath Robinson connoction. Let's be generous and assume it's merely a stopgap until good sense prevails and Chord get their act i.e. 2Go and 2Yu together - literally!

I'll be contacting Chord and my dealer to make my feelings known.

Feb 23, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #328 of 6,290
Having worked so hard on the Poly it would seem to be a no brainer to capitalise on it by producing a 2Go for Hugo2 and a standalone streamer for the rest of the market. Then just wait for the cash to roll in. Instead they cobble up an overpriced, half baked , Heath Robinson connoction. Let's be generous and assume it's merely a stopgap until good sense prevails and Chord get their act i.e. 2Go and 2Yu together - literally!

I'll be contacting Chord and my dealer to make my feelings known.
Great. The more of us that put pressure on Chord for a sensible one box solution the more likely they are to do it in quick time. And dont believe anybody who says it isn’t possible, will cost too much, no one will want it blah blah. When the Blu2 came out and I and others argued there should be a stand alone M Scaler everyone said it wasn’t possible, and even if it was it would cost the same, and even if it didn’t it would take years blah blah. Well, I was right - Chord brought out the M Scaler at way less than half the cost of the Blu2, improved the RF issues, and did so quickly.

Rob goes on over and over again about the importance of the simplest possible signal path. How on earth is taking the USB output of the 2Go through another box full of processors, converters etc, simple?

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #329 of 6,290
I was using poly/mojo as roon endpoint while moving about the house. If you are looking to use 2go as a wireless roon endpoint with H2 I doubt you will be disappointed. That functionality is rock solid and inproves the dac sonic performance. Its just too large to carry imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back