Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
Jul 24, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #3,541 of 6,314
I think that the purpose you buy a Hugo 2 is for what Rob Watts has achieved with digital conversion. While I've experimented with HQPlayer and the Hugo 2, nothing produces the clear sense of depth of the stock set-up the Hugo 2 has. Every type of up-sampling I've tried has sounded poorer.
So you are saying that based on your tests running H2 with HQP.... the same music streamed to H2 sounds worse when running HQP??
Therefore what you are really saying is ANY upscaling into H2...OTHER THAN MSCALER.... would make the H2 sound worse??

amyone else care to comment on this? I will need to run a more detailed analysis as it seems that Roon upscaling into H2 actually sounds better... however I have not ruled out psychoacoustics... will need to examine closer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 24, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #3,543 of 6,314
h2go is a wonderful streamlined magic music candy bar.
Which is why I think there should be a 2scalar sandwiched between the 2go and the Hugo 2 🙂 even if it did less than a million taps.

Then you'd have something functionally equivalent to a Bartok, but which you can pick up from the desktop, slip in a small bag and have sweet music out and about wherever you want.

It would also be a step forward for chord to sort out the form factor crisis that they are having.

Jul 24, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #3,544 of 6,314
Which is why I think there should be a 2scalar sandwiched between the 2go and the Hugo 2 🙂 even if it did less than a million taps.

Then you'd have something functionally equivalent to a Bartok, but which you can pick up from the desktop, slip in a small bag and have sweet music out and about wherever you want.

It would also be a step forward for chord to sort out the form factor crisis that they are having.
Should Chord not start by focus on getting 2go actually work first b4 we keep dreaming, I just want it to do as advertised......mine sent back as it became a brick. now enjoying CH2 with Node2i via toslink and I have no issues at all, no vinylpopsanclicks nor streaming issues at 192 , just enjoying music as it should be, though not portable/transportable nor in any way travel friendly so not the perfect package I am looking for, hope 2go after repair or new unit works as it should or I will cry! Also, I am on my 2nd CH2 and as much as I love the sound seems again an issue with my CH2 and USB, need closer investigation b4 I have to return again but so far the quality of the British engineering I always admired is but to shame and a big reason I invested in Chord in the 1st place is now severely tainted. Hope all will be sorted at the end but I am seriously losing hope....

Jul 24, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #3,545 of 6,314
A portable Mscaler isn’t going to happen anytime soon. Rob Watts has stated that the current desktop unit is already near the thermal dissipation limits that that form factor can support.

Jul 24, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #3,547 of 6,314
Should Chord not start by focus on getting 2go actually work first b4 we keep dreaming, I just want it to do as advertised......mine sent back as it became a brick. now enjoying CH2 with Node2i via toslink and I have no issues at all, no vinylpopsanclicks nor streaming issues at 192 , just enjoying music as it should be, though not portable/transportable nor in any way travel friendly so not the perfect package I am looking for, hope 2go after repair or new unit works as it should or I will cry! Also, I am on my 2nd CH2 and as much as I love the sound seems again an issue with my CH2 and USB, need closer investigation b4 I have to return again but so far the quality of the British engineering I always admired is but to shame and a big reason I invested in Chord in the 1st place is now severely tainted. Hope all will be sorted at the end but I am seriously losing hope....
[/QUO
Chord cannot afford another hardware disaster after poly and 2go... Unfortunately it looks like it’s going to be the third generation of hardware whatever that is to potentially finally get it right because they didn’t this turnaround even after a few years with Poly. However chord team I still love you as long as you’re making some of the best sounding stuff... Please just get your act together here

Jul 24, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #3,548 of 6,314
A portable Mscaler isn’t going to happen anytime soon. Rob Watts has stated that the current desktop unit is already near the thermal dissipation limits that that form factor can support.
I wouldn’t believe anything Rob says if I were you. Nobody’s going to talk publicly about their future product roadmap they want to surprise us... Near the thermal limit??.... ohhh come on!!! this is not a plasma engine on Mars mission... It’s general computing. 🥱

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #3,549 of 6,314
That's presumably when operating at a million taps. A device that is operating with fewer taps would presumably generate less heat as it is doing fewer calculations.

Jul 24, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #3,550 of 6,314
I wouldn’t believe anything Rob says if I were you. Nobody’s going to talk publicly about their future product roadmap they want to surprise us... Near the thermal limit??.... ohhh come on!!! this is not a plasma engine on Mars mission... It’s general computing. 🥱
Well the only other offering I know of is HQPlayer and it requires some serious computing power, which would currently be impossible to provide in a portable unit without a noisy fan. The brilliance of it, of cousre, lies in the streaming of the computed output to a lighweight app able to run on very low power units, NAA. But sadly, not the 2go.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #3,551 of 6,314
He talks all the time about what he’s working on over in his blog thread.

Jul 24, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #3,552 of 6,314
That's presumably when operating at a million taps. A device that is operating with fewer taps would presumably generate less heat as it is doing fewer calculations.
I don’t know what the point of that would be. The whole idea of the M scaler is that it recreates the original analog signal better than to 16 bit or better accuracy. Anything less you might as well just use the dac like the Hugo 2 by itself, which you can already do now.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #3,553 of 6,314
Well the only other offering I know of is HQPlayer and it requires some serious computing power, which would currently be impossible to provide in a portable unit without a noisy fan. The brilliance of it, of course, lies in the streaming of the computed output to a lightweight app able to run on very low power units, NAA. But sadly, not the 2go.
simply NOT true... are you aware of the capability of APPLE's current generation silicon on iphone 12???? could easily run a native version of HQP but HQP would need to be written for it.

so if there was a separate headless unit like h2go receiving the preprocessed signal from an iphone and then the onboard dac of the headless unit did its magic... you would have essentially a config that would give us portable mscaler....

rob watts is a smart guy... but he is an old school HW guy NOT a SW guy. I know of at least one summit level headphone company with a phd founder that is working on a revolutionary new DAC.... this space is just starting to heat up.... again why chord better step up their game because others are nipping at their heels that are far better in SW.

If I was CEO of DCS id price Bartok at 7 to 8K and wipe out all my competition. Bring in all these guys for my next gen stuff.

Chord... don't be NOKIA.... you are at risk.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #3,555 of 6,314
Are people sure that the connectivity issues are a roon problem?
I can use an ipad or laptop as a roon endpoint and never have an issue, in fact its what I resort to every time my 2go starts disconnecting.

The ONLY unit I own that continually has connection issues is the 2go

Users who are viewing this thread

Back