Choosing new headphones: AKG K550 vs. AKG K240MKII vs. Audio-Technica ATH-M50 vs. other?
Jun 24, 2012 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

StellarMoig

New Head-Fier
I recently had my awesome ATH-M50 headphones stolen at school and had been wondering what I should get as a replacement. I have been looking for a good overall headphone. I use my headphones mostly for music because of the fact that the ATH-M50's clamp down on the frames of my glasses or I get the horrid ear-sweat. I switched out my rock hard stock headphone pads with some velour pads that increased the Bass too much but it was still worth it for the comfort level for me. I had looked at the K240MKII headphones as a valid replacement as a few people on the internets have stated that they preferred them to the ATH-M50 because of the comfort and the flat response. I also looked at the K550 because of their recommendations of being easy to drive as I do use my iPhone 4S to do most of my listening to music (also because the awesome black look). If I were to choose the K550 I would really really have to prove it to myself that they are worth 2x the price of competing headphones. I have been quite saddened after the loss of my headphones so any quick help is indubitably appreciated! I would also appreciate any recommendations.  

Jun 25, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #2 of 17
Quote:
I recently had my awesome ATH-M50 headphones stolen at school and had been wondering what I should get as a replacement. I have been looking for a good overall headphone. I use my headphones mostly for music because of the fact that the ATH-M50's clamp down on the frames of my glasses or I get the horrid ear-sweat. I switched out my rock hard stock headphone pads with some velour pads that increased the Bass too much but it was still worth it for the comfort level for me. I had looked at the K240MKII headphones as a valid replacement as a few people on the internets have stated that they preferred them to the ATH-M50 because of the comfort and the flat response. I also looked at the K550 because of their recommendations of being easy to drive as I do use my iPhone 4S to do most of my listening to music (also because the awesome black look). If I were to choose the K550 I would really really have to prove it to myself that they are worth 2x the price of competing headphones. I have been quite saddened after the loss of my headphones so any quick help is indubitably appreciated! I would also appreciate any recommendations.  

I would say to go with the AKG K240 Studio ($80), less loss if your headphones get stolen again (AKG K550 $300).

Jun 25, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #4 of 17
I bought the M50s back when they were $110, and I bought the K550 when it came out for $350. And I thought the K550s were worth the money, at 3x the cost of the M50s.

Also, I don't think the K550s are good cans to be carrying to school... The M50s were decently portable, but the K550s have a bulky, uncollapsible design, and the earcups are huge.

Jun 25, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #6 of 17
The K550 definitely beats out both of your other choices in terms of pure sound.

Jun 25, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #7 of 17
K550 for best sq compared to the ones you've listed but not really portable. It's similar to how I feel with my D2000's. I wish I can bring it everywhere.

Jun 26, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #9 of 17
Well can't say about the other headphones, but I have a pair of K240 MkII headphones and dont regret ever buying them.  They are the most comfortable pair of headphones I've ever worn, and the SQ is pretty dam good too.  A lot of leakage though. just keep that in mind.

Jun 26, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

have you tried the akg k1000 sir? it uses temple pads so you won't have problems wearing glasses =D

back to topic, i pick k550 with your choices, but it sure doesn't have that x2 performance from your m50 due to diminishing returns. and its not "that" portable as well.

Jun 26, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #11 of 17
What about the sennheiser hd 25-1? I have it and I wear glasses and they fit pretty good. Great for portability and awesome sq.

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #12 of 17
even though the price of the k550 is twice as much for the m50's the SQ will not be twice as good for it. The SQ of k550 will not be that far from the m50's but this I assure you, the k550's has a more wider soundstage, the sound of them are more neutral and more crisp for me. For the bass department, don't expect to much from them, but they are surely there but not as emphasized as the m50's have... You can't go wrong in any of those guys.. and yeah i agree with them, that the k550 will be very bulky because they have massive ear-cups   

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:
What about the sennheiser hd 25-1? I have it and I wear glasses and they fit pretty good. Great for portability and awesome sq.

yeah awsome SQ from them, and they are built to last :D

Aug 26, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #14 of 17
Did you purchase the AKG K550?
I have a similar question about using those with glasses. I'm much less concerned with comfort than sound, though I realized that your head shape, the glasses (and earpieces), and how they fit all might play a part in whether the seal is adequate for the AKG K550 to sound its best.

Can you, or anyone else, provide feedback regarding how well these headphone seal when wearing glasses?

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #15 of 17
I actually didn't buy either...I just bought some cheap Sony XB-500s to tide me over until I save up for some good audio hardware. I do plan on buying the k550...eventually... 
On the note of wearing glasses, I have found that because of the XB-500 luscious pillows, I find them extremely comfortable :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back