Choosing good headphones.
Oct 18, 2011 at 10:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

krikukiks

New Head-Fier
Hy,

I went to shop today to see what kind of headphones they got. I found 2 that seemed legal. First one is the Phillips SHL9560, but I read that they have noise reduction system built in that also reduces the sound quality (it wasn't written on the box so I'm not too sure about that). Second ones were Sony MDR-XB500. They seem decent though XB700 seems better. But I know little about headphones and audio technology so I hope that you will give me some advice. Is ether of them a good choice ?

As told I don't know much about headphones, but if I'm going to buy ones that cost around 100euro (my budget) then they should be good ones, as 100euros is a lot of money for me :D and am going to need a lot of it in the winter :frowning2:.  Anyhow these are the specs that are important to me:
a) Good bass, love the bass.
b)Sound quality. Haven't had fancy headphones before but read that you can hear sounds that you couldn't before, definitely a thing that I'm willing to pay a extra puck.
c)Looks. I like headphones like the Sony ones I found. Don't like plastic- metal, leather is the way to go.
d)No gadgets like microphone, or a toaster. Yes, a joke...

Would like "on the ear" (?) headphones. That doesn't let sound in or out. The bigger the better :D

If it helps any, then I mostly listen to music that have no to little words, like trance, dnb, "chillout", classical, blues/jazz like music.

Thanks for any tips and advice :)

Oct 18, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #2 of 3
For your type of music, I would say the XB700s would be good.  However, there is as thread about looking for headphones that I would suggest you repost this in.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/529144/buying-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here

Quote:
Hy,

I went to shop today to see what kind of headphones they got. I found 2 that seemed legal. First one is the Phillips SHL9560, but I read that they have noise reduction system built in that also reduces the sound quality (it wasn't written on the box so I'm not too sure about that). Second ones were Sony MDR-XB500. They seem decent though XB700 seems better. But I know little about headphones and audio technology so I hope that you will give me some advice. Is ether of them a good choice ?

As told I don't know much about headphones, but if I'm going to buy ones that cost around 100euro (my budget) then they should be good ones, as 100euros is a lot of money for me :D and am going to need a lot of it in the winter :frowning2:.  Anyhow these are the specs that are important to me:
a) Good bass, love the bass.
b)Sound quality. Haven't had fancy headphones before but read that you can hear sounds that you couldn't before, definitely a thing that I'm willing to pay a extra puck.
c)Looks. I like headphones like the Sony ones I found. Don't like plastic- metal, leather is the way to go.
d)No gadgets like microphone, or a toaster. Yes, a joke...

Would like "on the ear" (?) headphones. That doesn't let sound in or out. The bigger the better :D

If it helps any, then I mostly listen to music that have no to little words, like trance, dnb, "chillout", classical, blues/jazz like music.

Thanks for any tips and advice :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back