Choosing a bang-for-buck IEM
Nov 20, 2009 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

archimeaties

Head-Fier
Hi, so I know there are quite a few threads about budget IEMs, but I felt like I had to make another to really answer my question. I am a first-time IEM buyer.

I am looking for an IEM that fits the following needs:
- < $100
- balanced sound (particularly not too heavy or light on the bass)
- prefer a warm/energetic sound (correct me if this contradicts the previous line)
- above average sound isolation
- comes with (or at least compatible with) foam AND silicon tips
- holds in well during exercise (maybe over-the-ear or both hanging and OtE?)
- available for purchase in Canada (or a website that ships to Canada)
- decent durability

I've already done quite a bit of research, but there are just so many brands and models that I'm overwhelmed! I've read a bit about models by Sony, UE, SkullCandy, Sennheiser, HeadDirect, SoundMagic, and several others...
Good non-sales reviews are often hard to come by...

Thanks a lot!

SUMMARY of this thread until now:

SQ criteria: ideally leaning toward a slight V sound signature with emphasis on warm clarity, tactile bass, and medium-broad soundstage
Physical criteria: wearable over-the-ear and hanging, minimum protrusion from ear, no in-line hardware, decent cable

Options:
Head-Direct RE0 - Best balanced SQ, but little weak in the bass department. Most popular (by far).
CrossRoads Hippo VB - Awaiting review from ClieOS. Not the most popular, but has two outstanding reviews (VB is a plus).
Fischer Audio Eterna - Very mixed reviews. ClieOS says 'sonic diamond', others say mediocre... (should have more info soon)

Eliminated:
Altec Lansing IM716 - Discontinued (and not a huge fan of the looks).
Sennheiser CX380 - Water resistance just doesn't justify worse SQ and higher price than the others.
Klipsch Image S4 - Not the best option...
SoundMagic PL50 - Sound is more like ^ than v, best of the eliminated though.
All SkullCandys!

Nov 21, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #3 of 37
I'll check that, thanks

In the meantime, I just saw Joker's thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/m...6/#post6132998

Seriously leaning towards RE0 right now (with PL-50 in second)

EDIT: Yup, the Hippo VBs do look pretty good...

At this point the RE0 and Hippo VB are on even ground with the PL-50 a step down, but that is putting almost all priority to SQ. I am also concerned about things like fit (general and for exercise).

Nov 21, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #4 of 37
I just bought a pair of Altec Lansing im716 for $65. I think they sound wonderful.

On this board they are described as being somewhere between the Etymotic Research ER 6i and the ER 4p / ER 4s (the phones were designed and/or built by Etymotic for Altec Lansing). The 6i cost $90, the 4s / 4p cost $190, so $65 is quite a bargain.

I got them via amazon.com from a place called Buy Accessories, Amazon.com: Altec Lansing inMotion iM716 Headphones: Electronics.

The im716 IEMs seem to fit your requirements well.

Nov 21, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #5 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by archimeaties /img/forum/go_quote.gif
- balanced sound (particularly not too heavy or light on the bass)
- prefer a warm/energetic sound (correct me if this contradicts the previous line)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogfish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The im716 IEMs seem to fit your requirements well.

Couldn't disagree more than I do at this very moment.

Nov 21, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #6 of 37
The IM 716s can sometimes be a bit harsh in the highs, but are quite good especially at $65. I think the RE0 is what you want, they are slightly warm but quite detailed,and I think they are on sale for $79 right now. The can be a bit hard to drive if you like to listen loud out of an IPod, so if you have an amp that will help.

Nov 21, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #7 of 37
I will be using these half-and-half between an iPod (for music) and a laptop (for movies etc.).

I don't have an amp. If I don't plan on going deaf anytime soon will the lack of power for the RE0 with an iPod still be an issue? (isn't the RE0 16 ohms anyway?)

BTW, should I even consider the Sennheiser cx380s?

Nov 21, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #8 of 37
I'm wondering if I was right to ask for a balanced phone... maybe you guys can tell me.

I currently listen to my music on Sennheiser OMX70s with my iPod set to the 'Rock' EQ. If I switch to 'Flat' EQ the music sounds textureless, muffled, and bland. Will better quality phones overcome this? Or do I actually want a less balanced (more skullcandyish) phone?

You may have noticed I am kind of new to the world of high-quality audio.

Nov 21, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #9 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by archimeaties /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will be using these half-and-half between an iPod (for music) and a laptop (for movies etc.).

I don't have an amp. If I don't plan on going deaf anytime soon will the lack of power for the RE0 with an iPod still be an issue? (isn't the RE0 16 ohms anyway?)

The RE0 has an impedance of 64 ohms, but it drives to very high volumes with most players. Maybe 2-3 notches more than the average IEM on my sansa fuze.

If you like the Rock EQ setting you probably want something with a V-shaped response curve, i.e. artificially enhanced in the bass and treble.

Nov 21, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #11 of 37
RE0 is the way to go. If you use i/Pod/Touch/Phone as your source and don't have an amp, get the E1 with it for $22. After burn-in the RE0 sound amazing for $79.

Nov 21, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #12 of 37
hmmm i have a iphone 3gs
and lost my nuforce 7m the other day i want a replacement
but since reading about the the re0 and seeing the price i would like to know if its better to go that route
does the iphone work well with the re0

will i get a better overall sound with the re0

Nov 21, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #13 of 37
Going by the requirements posted by you .The RE0 looks like a good contender. Especially for the balanced sound
smily_headphones1.gif
The iphone should be able to drive the RE0 well enough But pairing it with something like Fiio E1(works with iphones line out ) or a E5 + LOD should give better results.You can of course get a better amp if budget is not an issue.

Under 100$ I would suggest a RE0 +Fiio E1 (if you plan to keep your iphone as the main source).

Nov 21, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #14 of 37
I'm using an ipod, not an iphone, but same difference...

I think an amp is really not an option for me as I really don't want to deal with another box in my pocket. I would never end up using it, or probably even buying it. I would still like to know if it is at all possible to get 100dB from ipod -> RE0. If not, that's a deal breaker.

How about some other options? I already mentioned that I'm keeping an eye on the FA Eterna, but I'm still open to other suggestions. Maybe something with a slight V to the sound signature? Any second opinions on the Hippo VB?

Edit: I did a little more research on the VBs, and the only con I can find is a possible durability issue with the drivers. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back