Chocolate connoisseurs? Recommend some yummy chocolates and places to buy it online!!
Jun 30, 2005 at 5:38 AM Post #16 of 42
Wow, thanks for the suggestions! I'm definitely going to have to try some of these. The only problem now will be deciding what to sample!
tongue.gif

Jun 30, 2005 at 4:00 PM Post #17 of 42
Try these: http://www.zotter.at/schoko_galerie_e.html - handmade chocolates from Austria. These are really great - for example the cherry-brandy with marzipan or the plum-brandy. Oh, yummy...
biggrin.gif
However, they are on Summer break at the moment - the online shop will re-open on August, 22nd.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jun 30, 2005 at 4:06 PM Post #18 of 42
Jun 30, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #19 of 42
www.chocosphere.com is a great on-line retailer of high-end chocolates. They have a wide selection, good prices, and are very careful about shipping: they will check the weather forecasts for your area, decide what packing/shipping you will need to keep the chocolate from melting on the way (or on your doorstep), inform you if special packing (in ice, etc.) will be needed, and so forth. Highly recommended.

I share my chocolate with coworkers, and currently the most-enjoyed is Green and Black 70%, followed by Slitti 73%. The Slitti is especially beautiful: a glossy finish wrapped in shiny cellophane. A great choice if you're constructing a gift basket or something else where packaging matters. Flavor-wise, the G&B is deep, smooth and vivid; the Slitti is amazingly pure, with a flavor I'd describe as "straightforward."

I'm also very fond of Guittard, and my guilty pleasure is Ghirardelli Mint. I do not like Scharffen Berger; it's a local product, and I want to like it, but it just doesn't please me as much as the other chocolates. I do like their crunchy little Nibby bars, though.

Jun 30, 2005 at 4:37 PM Post #20 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrice
Chocolate Fetish is my personal favorite. Their ecstasy truffles are incredible.

Indeed. I have the distinct benefit of living about 15 miles from it
biggrin.gif
Right across the street from a cafe/bookshop (Malaprops, if you've heard of that), and then there's the library a bit further.

My personal favorite so far are Ancient Pleasures and Dragon's Kiss. The first is flavored with cayenne pepper, the latter, wasabi. I know, it sounds weird (I was skeptical at first), but they're absolutely lovely. Spicy in their own unique ways. Combine one or two of those with a cuppa from Bean Streets (which unfortunately requires walking a few blocks), and you've got heaven.

Jun 30, 2005 at 4:40 PM Post #21 of 42
My wife used to be a buyer for Macy's, and the best chocolates she could grab for Macy's were the belgian chocs. Tasty stuff. She said Godiva wasn't bad, but not any better than Giardhelli's or whatever that San Fran place is called. And yes, Godiva is an American choco place, just like Hershey's lol.

But when it's time to bust out with the GOOD chocs, she said this was the place-

http://www.lamaisonduchocolat.com/commerce/accueil.php

They have a little storefront in Manhattan if you can find it, and these French chocolates are insanely great!

Jun 30, 2005 at 4:48 PM Post #22 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
My personal favorite so far are Ancient Pleasures and Dragon's Kiss. The first is flavored with cayenne pepper, the latter, wasabi. I know, it sounds weird (I was skeptical at first), but they're absolutely lovely.

These I have to try. I just placed my order.

Jun 30, 2005 at 5:49 PM Post #24 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
I would also agree that Scharffen Berger and Neuhaus chocolate are some of the finest that I've have a chance to consume. The best chocolates I've had so far is Laederach Chocolates.

Neuhaus is belgian, right? That's the nicest chocolate my wife was allowed to buy for Macy's. Delicious.

Jun 30, 2005 at 7:14 PM Post #25 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Neuhaus is belgian, right? That's the nicest chocolate my wife was allowed to buy for Macy's. Delicious.

Yes, they are Belgian. Their truffle collection are amongst the finest I've had.

Jul 1, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #26 of 42
If you want the best possible bang for your buck, look at episearch's link for the 5kg bars of Callebaut chocolate. FANTASTIC taste, breaks easily into 1+lb blocks for a group buy, and can be found for less than $4.00 lb. Only problem is , group buys turn into , Sorry man.., if you get my drift.

Jul 1, 2005 at 2:14 AM Post #28 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheChemist
http://www.grandavenuechocolates.com/

Their apple is godly. It was even on Oprah, I think.

OMG! I had a few of those last year. My local Marshalls store had them on sale for $2 each, so I bought around 10 as Christmas presents. I kept one for myself, they were unbeliveably good!

Jul 1, 2005 at 7:37 AM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
OMG! I had a few of those last year. My local Marshalls store had them on sale for $2 each, so I bought around 10 as Christmas presents. I kept one for myself, they were unbeliveably good!

And I live like 10 minutes from the actual store. It's awesome, so much good stuff there.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back