Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Feb 23, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #14,626 of 33,689
No, they didn't. You've probably placeboed yourself into thinking that they did though. If a company could just play a couple songs through their earphones and magically make them sound much better you can bet yourself they would do it. After all, why let everyone's first impressions be bad?
Well, sound is a very subjective thing. Some do not think cables or burn in make any difference, others (like me), think they do. Just take a look at some of the experiences of others using the Densen disc in online reviews. It's quite interesting. Whether these things can be scientifically proved is another thing.

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #14,627 of 33,689
Well, sound is a very subjective thing. Some do not think cables or burn in make any difference, others (like me), think they do. Just take a look at some of the experiences of others using the Densen disc in online reviews. It's quite interesting. Whether these things can be scientifically proved is another thing.

No, sound is not subjective. We can objectively measure sound to insane degrees and thoroughly understand the physics behind it. How you interpret the sound is subjective. While I'm not going to get into the hard science that proves these things don't change anything, I will at least say this: humans are deeply flawed and biased creatures, and the psychology of hearing is incredibly complex. Look into the sunken-ship fallacy, expectation bias, confirmation bias, and how expectation bias plays into our perception of frequency response. These are the mechanisms that have changed how you heard that IEM, not some voodoo mp3 file.

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #14,628 of 33,689
No, sound is not subjective. We can objectively measure sound to insane degrees and thoroughly understand the physics behind it. How you interpret the sound is subjective. While I'm not going to get into the hard science that proves these things don't change anything, I will at least say this: humans are deeply flawed and biased creatures, and the psychology of hearing is incredibly complex. Look into the sunken-ship fallacy, expectation bias, confirmation bias, and how expectation bias plays into our perception of frequency response. These are the mechanisms that have changed how you heard that IEM, not some voodoo mp3 file.
Thank you for that, that is very informative. I just hope the sound doesn't revert to how I perceived it before now you've pointed that out!

Feb 23, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #14,629 of 33,689

Next you're going to say that cable lifters don't improve the sound!

cable lifters.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #14,630 of 33,689
Next you're going to say that cable lifters don't improve the sound!

Not all filters are created equal but I can see that you have really good ones.

Feb 23, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #14,632 of 33,689
Not all filters are created equal but I can see that you have really good ones.

Oh, those were just a lifted google image.

These would be more my 'Magyver style' (assuming they did anything anyways LOL)

cable lifter 2.JPG

Feb 23, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #14,633 of 33,689
Personally i really like the pairing of the DM5 with the ifi idsd BL. Really lets them shine. I could never have thought that something which sounded so meh OFTB could sound like this after burn in (brain)

Feb 24, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #14,635 of 33,689
I have a question I hope someone will be able to answer. The typical frequency response of a DAP or CD player is basically a straight line between 20Hz and 20kHz. However the typical frequency curve of an IEM has a gentle hump from 20Hz to 1kHz and after this looks more like a seismograph trace of a major earthquake! How does this result in anything like an accurate representation of the original sound?

Feb 24, 2018 at 4:23 AM Post #14,636 of 33,689
I have a question I hope someone will be able to answer. The typical frequency response of a DAP or CD player is basically a straight line between 20Hz and 20kHz. However the typical frequency curve of an IEM has a gentle hump from 20Hz to 1kHz and after this looks more like a seismograph trace of a major earthquake! How does this result in anything like an accurate representation of the original sound?
simply put loud speakers are ideally tuned to reproduce a flat FR curve but what you usually see on an iem is what the fr curve would look like when it hits the ear lobes. so therefore to get the sound one hears from a flat tuned speaker at the ear is endeavoured to be reached by artificially creating that FR curve. Did i make sense?

Feb 24, 2018 at 4:27 AM Post #14,637 of 33,689

https://www.etymotic.com/technology/hwmra

Feb 24, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #14,638 of 33,689
Thank you and Superuser1. I just wondered if it might be more useful for manufacturers to publish a compensated FR curve representing what you hear so it would be easier to adjust EQ if you needed to.

Feb 24, 2018 at 6:50 AM Post #14,639 of 33,689
Tried some other tips on the Rock Zircon....but little difference ... Bloated terrible overbass IEM's.

The Zircon's ended in the trash bin.
Second that totally. I never undertstood the hype around those IEMs

Feb 24, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #14,640 of 33,689

Users who are viewing this thread

Back